Starting nose tackle
7 replies
I haven't read much about potentially changing Soliai to the starting nose tackle but from the first 2 preseason games he has outperformed Starks. He has been going against the 2nd stringers, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion around this. Has anyone seen what they are doing in training camp this week? I've been surprised at the lack of comments on the subject.
They could move Starks back to the outside although Langford and Odrick have looked pretty good so not sure that's the right move. He was just such a stud last year it would be a shame to not have him start.
Either way I trust the FO to put out the best 11 on D but curious about everyone else's thoughts.
Starks may have been out performed in the first game but i'm not sure what game you were watching against Jags if you don't think Starks played good against first string defense of the Jaguars.
Pat White. It's safe, he gained some muscle.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
I thought Starks looked very good at NT in the Jags game vs. their starters. Soliai seems to be taking the next step, which is outstanding, gives Nolan the flexibility of putting Starks, Soliai, Langford AND Odrick on the line in some formations, plus rotating Starks from NT to DE will give Odrick or Langford some rest on needed occasions.
Frankly I thought Starks and Soliai have done so well they have strengthened my belief we will have a very effective front 7. Grant and Douglas also looked good, Grant anyway, so they can help keep a rotation going to keep our DL fresh late in games.
2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

As you said he did look good against second stringers but Starkes adds a dimension to the NT position which Solai is not likely to be able to do.
Starkes can rush the passer from that position and not many NTs can do that.
Maybe they will platoon them .
I was just looking at the box score - I don't even remember Starks sack... I must have drank too much given the late start to the game. :-)
I think Randy is going to get tired if he has to play the whole game. I love the idea of platooning them so they both have fresh legs.
"nvdolfan wrote:
I was just looking at the box score - I don't even remember Starks sack... I must have drank too much given the late start to the game. :-)
I think Randy is going to get tired if he has to play the whole game. I love the idea of platooning them so they both have fresh legs.
ohh the sack was great, he was past the center before he even got his head up. looked great
need two starting quality NT's & that's exactly what we have
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
