Report: Dolphins not pursuing Darren Sharper

23 replies

May 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
May 3, 2010, 12:27 PM

go Rashad Jones!

FIfins4o8Forum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 12:51 PM

We are one year too late for DS.

gunn34gunn34New Member
May 3, 2010, 12:53 PM

IMO he has a handshake deal with the Saints. I don't believe he's going anywhere else unless someone throws a TON of cash his way.

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 12:56 PM

It just doesn't make any sense for us not to even have the guy in for a workout. I know he's looking to get paid more than what New Orleans is paying but it in an uncapped year who cares? He would be a nice one year stop gap for us, at least. Is he too flashy a player or what?:tantrum:

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
May 3, 2010, 12:59 PM

I'm wondering if they still plan on going after Otogwe. They were prepared to sign Rolle or Clark, so I wouldn't be surprised. I doubt the Rams plan on extending his tender.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
May 3, 2010, 01:05 PM

Honestly I i still think culver will start at FS
i didnt really think we would go after sharper because of the price and i doubt we pursue any other veterans
jones will be a factor but culver has a little bit of experience there and decent range
clemons scares me in coverage. he seemed lost last season

SESeanPSupporter
May 3, 2010, 01:40 PM

"Pandarilla wrote:

It just doesn't make any sense for us not to even have the guy in for a workout. I know he's looking to get paid more than what New Orleans is paying but it in an uncapped year who cares? He would be a nice one year stop gap for us, at least. Is he too flashy a player or what?:tantrum:

Ross? Bill Parcells? anyone with any investment in the franchise.

Operating a business heavily in the red really isn't the greatest of ideas. We signed 2 players this season to be the highest paid of anyone at their respective positions.

I know we as fans think that there's no limit to what they can spend because there's a salary cap, but there kind of is in that unless Bill Parcells can assure Ross of a Super Bowl victory by purchasing Sharper, Ross is probably pretty reluctant to part with any more money.

I'm not saying thats a knock against him either, thats the right thing to do. Throwing money around like it's going out of style is not a recipe for success.

Grooming young/cheap talent, and filling some trouble spots with FAs (Marshall and Dansby) is a much more sound idea in my opinion.

miamironmiamironForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 01:40 PM

Huge mistake not signing Sharper over what we already have on this team.Our whole team only managed 15 interceptions last season while Sharper had 9 by himself.

One thing we have learned is turnovers win games and Sharper is one of the best in that regard.

Sharper could help both Smith and Davis with his 13 years of experience and manage the secondary.

Not sure why the wouldn't offer a one year or two year contract and let the young ones learn under Sharper.

Should be interesting how the free safety position works itself out

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 01:46 PM

I'm not sure if this is a position we can afford to trust with one of the young, unproven guys. If we go forward with this group, I think it will be the one area the FO failed to adequately address this offseason, and with some of the offenses we will face this year, it might be a critical error.

Roman529Roman529New Member
May 3, 2010, 02:33 PM

"Pandarilla wrote:

It just doesn't make any sense for us not to even have the guy in for a workout. I know he's looking to get paid more than what New Orleans is paying but it in an uncapped year who cares? He would be a nice one year stop gap for us, at least. Is he too flashy a player or what?:tantrum:

NO, Sharper is old and coming off a knee injury. Yes we have a lot of young inexperienced guys in our secondary but they will learn. We also can always grab a decent experienced Safety when teams cut down to 53. :up:

PariahPariahNew Member
May 3, 2010, 03:18 PM

For those who think it is a bad idea to pass on D.S. you may want to ask yourself, "Why isn't anyone really going after this guy?"

I am not saying he wouldn't make a good mentor for our young guys, but beyond that I believe his value has gone way down as a starting F.S. coming off a solid injury at his age. I predict a much less productive season out of him wherever he lands, and a much more reduced role if he lands back in N.O.

Our front office is being smart in not overspending on a mentor. The last I checked that is why we have coaches, and that is why we brought in a new and very good D.C.. If we had a front office that spent a bunch of money on stop gaps and mentors we would be in a lot of trouble.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
May 3, 2010, 03:23 PM

I think this job is Culver's to lose. I'm a little paranoid about Darren Sharper coming off an injury. He will get paid a lot for the great job he did last season, but I bet his play is at a lower level this season.

Culver may not be great, but with improved Dline, improved LBs and SMith, Davis and Bell getting better in the secondary, I think Culver will do fine.

testing

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 03:44 PM

I just don't know about relying on a guy that couldn't beat out Gibril Wilson last year. I realize players improve, but that's banking on a lot....

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
May 3, 2010, 03:46 PM

I think the FO prefers an expereinced FS back there, but Sharper has one or two years left max and I think its better to just throw the younger guys out there and let em sink or swim.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 03:52 PM

Sharper's trying to cash in on a career year last year, and no one is biting. He'll probably be back in New Orleans when it's all said and done. And, we will either go with what we have, or pick up an acorn as teams trim their final rosters. Regardless, I think we will be better than we were last year. Just cutting Gerbil is addition by subtraction IMO.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 3, 2010, 04:46 PM

He signed a 1yr deal with the Saints per Armando.

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
May 3, 2010, 05:22 PM

[UPDATE 4:41 p.m.: Sharper has agreed to a one-year deal with the Saints, according to a source close to him. Several news organization and websites, including profootballtalk.com, are reporting the same thing, citing a league source.]

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/05/a-focus-on-the-still-lingering-free-safety-question.html#ixzz0mu5vu9IQ

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 3, 2010, 05:30 PM

HMm... a less than obvious point is we still have the 2 million they were going to pay Taylor this year as well as the 3.5 million when Smiley is dealt, 5 million is a nice stash of cash for a June 1 Veteran who was cut.

DHPVWDHPVWNew Member
May 3, 2010, 06:09 PM

Bring on Reshad Jones! It's his time to step up and show what he can do. I for one can't wait until he see's some playing time, we'll be able to see if he can fill a much needed position

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
May 3, 2010, 06:55 PM

Big mistake; HUGE.

Sharper can still play at a high level and he is an excellent 1-to-2-year bridge to the future at the position.

With him, we could make a run at the Super Bowl this season; without him or someone like him, the rooks on D will hit "the wall" right around crunch time and we'll have no answer.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
May 3, 2010, 06:57 PM

This obviously means they're going after him :lol:

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
May 3, 2010, 07:14 PM

This is all MOOT NOW hes staying with The Saints..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5159603

and we still have a HUGE VOID...

bakedmattbakedmattNew Member
May 3, 2010, 08:52 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

I'm wondering if they still plan on going after Otogwe. They were prepared to sign Rolle or Clark, so I wouldn't be surprised. I doubt the Rams plan on extending his tender.

But that was before they signed Marshall. It's still possible, but less likely in my opinion.

@matthewfpepin