Ravens Insider: Cameron deserved more time in Miami
41 replies
Forgive me if this has been posted already... or if it belongs in another forum...
Ravens Insider: Cameron deserved more time in Miami - The inside scoop and analysis on the team from The Baltimore Sun's Ravens columnist and Ravens beat writer. - baltimoresun.com
Much is being said and written about Cam Cameron's one-year stay in Miami as the Dolphins' head coach, but the bottom line is that no coach, unless there is some ethics violation (which there wasn't), should be fired after one season
I've heard this argument before on these message boards.. I think it's a valid one.. but I still think Cam Cameron could NOT lead a team to much victory in this leauge. He doesn't have that "trait" that allows 53 MEN to buy into him and do everything that is asked of them. I can imagine people in the "video room" staring blankly at him while he does one of his wordy speeches. I might be in the minority but I think Cams firing was best for us.
He lost the team's confidence and that's enough to show that he should be fired.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"Loyal Fin wrote:
Forgive me if this has been posted already... or if it belongs in another forum...
Ravens Insider: Cameron deserved more time in Miami - The inside scoop and analysis on the team from The Baltimore Sun's Ravens columnist and Ravens beat writer. - baltimoresun.comI've heard this argument before on these message boards.. I think it's a valid one.. but I still think Cam Cameron could NOT lead a team to much victory in this leauge. He doesn't have that "trait" that allows 53 MEN to buy into him and do everything that is asked of them. I can imagine people in the "video room" staring blankly at him while he does one of his wordy speeches. I might be in the minority but I think Cams firing was best for us.
i doubt you are in the minority about Cam's firing being the best thing for us.
You know what I think about that "insider"????
:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol: wait... wait :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol: hold on i'm about to pee :sidelol::sidelol:
Cam made too many mistakes on and off the field to say he deserved another shot IMO.
Sounds like the city of Baltimore is aalready sick of him and are mad they signed him by sending the message that we should not have let him go after one year thus opening the door for him to sign with Baltimore...

The only fear I had when Parcells took over was that Cam would not be fired .He deserved to be fired IMO.
He was not ready to be a NFL HC and I am glad we did the inevitable which is to fire him.
Nice person and I wish him the best.......on another team.
"CrunchTime wrote:
The only fear I had when Parcells took over is that he would not be fired .He deserved to be fired IMO.
He was not ready to be a NFL HC and I am glad we did the inevitable which is to fire him.
Nice person and I wish him the best.......on another team.
Yeah.. On another team.. Like the Jets or Patriots :D
He was a good guy in a bad situation. Whether he is capable of being a head coach in a different situation I wouldn't presume to say. I hope he gets another shot somewhere. But I think it's best for the Fins, and even for Cam, that he's gone.
deserved more time?!?! are you kidding me!!! While i agree that it usually takes more time for a coach to make his impact than one year, but you like to see improvement during that time. we had NO improvement at all, we got worse. Mind you alot of that was due to injuries, had we not had so many damn injuries last year, who knows, we could have won a few more games, and we may not have had bill, jeff, and tony here. However, that being said, Cam had lost this team, nobody believed in him or any of the other coaches, at that point... a change needs to be made, regardless...

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
Cameron wasn't ready i think. Maybe with some time under Tuna he'd become a better coach. Sparano is already a better coach than he was at the beginning of the season.
But what got Cameron canned here more than anything was a combination of things. He lost the confidence of fans and players. He made really questionable personnel decisions. And he had a 1-15 record. It was too much. It was perfect storm of awful. A completely heartbreaking year for players and fans. We're so much better off now without him I think.
Deserved more time, you mean we got to try and convict him? What were the charges? Felony incompetence and fraud? Counterfeiting pep rally speeches? Kidnapping a college player, AND HIS whole family?!
Absolutely fuggin a right he deserved more time...15-20 with time off for taking up golf woulda been fair.
Regardless of where you stand on Cameron one thing should be clear.
The Ravens Insider is the last thing that should be making a determination on how the Dolphins handled THEIR situation.
They can't even assess the situation considering they hired him as a Coordinator and not a Head Coach. They have no experience with Cameron in that position on their team to have any idea how he was handling it here.
STFU Ravens Insider.
RIP Jetssuck
All this article does is belie the fact that there are some niggling doubts in the Baltimore fanbase regarding Cameron which needed this self-reassurance.
He probably did deserve more time, but the circumstances did not allow. Letting Bill Parcells pick his guy vs. giving Cameron another year was an easy decision to make.
Yes, the team suffered through an onslaught of injuries, but ask yourself how those happened and why the injuries were so devastating?
1. The "Club Med" type of training camp we went through did not condition the players properly.
2. The lack of depth, especially on the DL and the secondary.
3. Failure to find the right players for the right positions, leading to confusion on both sides of the field.
Cam clearly was in way over his head, and this is coming from someone who supported him until the Keith Traylor incident. That moment right there is when the REAL Cam Cameron was revealed.
I think Cam had some good coaching qualities that in the right situation would be very productive. And I even would have been ok with here another year but for two facts. The first is that he clearly lost the team. Once that happens it's impossible for that coach to be successful there within any reasonable time frame. Second, there was an opportunity to bring in better leadership with a different vision. I was never on the Tuna is God band wagon, but he clearly has a record of success that would give us some much needed credibility.

I think a lot of players wanted out and were gutless, i dont know if it was his responsibility of rallying the troops in unification, but he did a bad job of that so iam glad hes not our coach. not the makeup i want in my leader

He belongs to the Baltimore family now and of course they are to going to say positive things about him. glad he's gone!
Excellent points by everyone here.
This may sound cold, however... I really don't care how 'good' of a guy Cam Cameron was, or is. He may be a great coach somewhere else, but for a great multitude of reasons, he was absolutely terrible in Miami.
The main reason he failed with the Dolphins, IMHO, was that the man has no backbone. He was soft on his players from beginning to end, and in my opinion, if you want to play a tough sport, you have to have a tough team, and that toughness begins at the head coach, trickles down through the assistant coaches, all the way to the players. Cam put together a soft football team, and then failed to lead them. Time and time and time again Cam Cameron backed down when faced by challenging situations.
Damn right, Cam... the responsibility absolutely DOES fall directly on your shoulders. The 2007 Dolphins were darn near HISTORICALLY bad, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that they had a complete wimp for a head coach.
Cam Cameron... with absolutely no doubt... did a terrible job as head coach of the Miami Dolphins, and deserved to be fired. The Ravens Insider... or whoever they are... are 100% wrong.
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
"Larry Little wrote:
Excellent points by everyone here.
This may sound cold, however... I really don't care how 'good' of a guy Cam Cameron was, or is. He may be a great coach somewhere else, but for a great multitude of reasons, he was absolutely terrible in Miami.
The main reason he failed with the Dolphins, IMHO, was that the man has no backbone. He was soft on his players from beginning to end, and in my opinion, if you want to play a tough sport, you have to have a tough team, and that toughness begins at the head coach, trickles down through the assistant coaches, all the way to the players. Cam put together a soft football team, and then failed to lead them. Time and time and time again Cam Cameron backed down when faced by challenging situations.
Damn right, Cam... the responsibility absolutely DOES fall directly on your shoulders. The 2007 Dolphins were darn near HISTORICALLY bad, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that they had a complete wimp for a head coach.
Cam Cameron... with absolutely no doubt... did a terrible job as head coach of the Miami Dolphins, and deserved to be fired. The Ravens Insider... or whoever they are... are 100% wrong.
RESPECT THE CODE!!
Any coach with any toughness or instinct would be able to identify that playing in this town, TOUGHNESS is the number characteristic needed to be sucessful.
Starting off by letting dom capers run your defense and not oversee the entire team, was mistake number 1, running a soft camp was worthy of a smack upside the head.. cost him his job

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Wonderful insight.
I remember a large number of members expressing Cams departure was premature. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and most fans are pleased with the new direction.
I, for one, never bought into Cam. From his demeanor with the press to his training camps and beyond. He struck me as the wrong guy at the wrong time. I knew it was a matter of time before he lost his team.
To lead a large group of men, including staff and players, to victory on a football field requires more than long detailed speeches and abstract sayings. (Fail, Foward, Fast)
Less talking with the fans and media, more hands on with the players please. Coach Sparano is perfect because like Jeff Ireland has said, "He's a battleship commander". That fits him perfectly. Players don't have to worry about anything except doing their job, what's asked of them.
If you train the whole team rigorously, injuries wont impact as much.. like Ikechuku Ndukwe
It's all water under the bridge now but for the Ravens Insider to say that left me awe-struck. I guess one has to protect what's theirs. Im glad Cam found his nitch and I wish him the best. I really do, he's a nice guy..but he's not someone I want training my beloved team. I wish him well, and wish him good fortune... just not tommorow:up:


