New TV Shows Out Right Now

952 replies

Fin DFin DForum VeteranOP
Mar 14, 2016, 09:01 PM

Has anyone tried Hap & Leonard?

Very good. Very different. Helluva cast.

Its like a Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story with James Purefoy & Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) and Christina Hendricks.

Its incredible and unlike anything on TV. Sundance Channel Wednesdays.

McLovinMcLovinForum Veteran
Mar 14, 2016, 11:04 PM

got caught up on a show called Flaked on Netflix.

Will Arnet and yup.. Mclovin (later on)

ZippyZippySupporter
Mar 15, 2016, 12:28 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Has anyone tried Hap & Leonard?

Very good. Very different. Helluva cast.

Its like a Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story with James Purefoy & Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) and Christina Hendricks.

Its incredible and unlike anything on TV. Sundance Channel Wednesdays.

I added this to the DVR, yet I worry about what this says if we have similar taste in entertainment. :lol:

cuchulainncuchulainnSupporter
Mar 20, 2016, 03:56 PM

Season 2 of "Bosch" is out on Prime...

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Mar 20, 2016, 05:15 PM

Season 2 of Daredevil out on Netflix.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Mar 21, 2016, 07:39 PM

I loved Purefoy on The Following. Might have to check this one out.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Mar 22, 2016, 07:55 AM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

I loved Purefoy on The Following. Might have to check this one out.

You've never seen him like this. It really shows his range as an actor.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Apr 12, 2016, 03:13 AM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

I loved Purefoy on The Following. Might have to check this one out.

Ever see Rome? Purefoy as Mark Antony is amazing. That's where I became a fan of his. And MKW is another actor I like. Who doesn't love Omar? People who haven't seen the Wire, that's who.

I'm def. going to check out out Hap and Leo. I have no idea what a "Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story" is though, Fin D. Suppose I'll find out.

As far as "new" shows... I tend to binge TV shows with a few exceptions, so I'll just put down a few that I've seen that only have 1 season .

* Netflix's, 'Narcos': I had no idea it was a Pablo Escobar story. That might of made me watch sooner. I had heard some good things, but never got around to it until recently. Was hooked right away. I thought it was incredible. Very well made and never boring. Pablo is more of the central character than a simple, antagonist. I wasn't expecting that, but it worked perfectly. I don't know why, but I tend to love it when fact meets fiction. Real life stories and events, occupied by fictional characters and how they wade through it all. For me, Narcos hit that sweet spot perfectly.

* Hulu's, 112263: Based on the Stephen King book. About a time traveler going back to stop the JFK assassination. Sound cheesy or cliche (or both)? Maybe, but it works. As I mentioned, I like when fact meets fiction. Even still, this story works. While the mini series isn't as good as the book, mainly because it has to speed things up and get to the point within 8 episodes (would of been better as 12-13 episode show, IMO). At the story's heart, it's a romance, in the backdrop of the 1960's, with the assassination of Kennedy looming over everything. I wouldn't say the mini series is great though. Good to very good. Reason being, the show is more jack of all trades than a master of anything. The romance, the 1960's backdrop, and the assassination plot are not as deep as the book portrayed. Maybe I would of felt differently if I hadn't read the book first? I bet I might have. This is why you should never read books... or something. I really loved King's descriptions of the 1960's and wished the show could of stopped to smell the roses a bit. Still, worth a watch? Yes. James Franco is great, and Sarah Gadon is my new celebrity crush. She's cute AF.

* BBC, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell: This one is cheating, it's about a year old. And it is a 7 episode mini series. Still, watch it. It's about 2 magicians, a master and apprentice, who bring magic back to England, set in Victorian England. It's a weird show... Based on a book by Susanna Clarke. The antagonist is terrific. Almost like the Joker in his irrational behavior and madness, stealing every scene. I won't say anymore, because it's a hard show to describe without giving important plots away, but it's very, very good.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Apr 12, 2016, 10:50 AM

I loved Narcos. It's not a subject I thought I had any particular interest in, but it hooked me right away. Maybe it was interesting b/c it was an unknown world to me yet occurred during a time period I remembered.

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 13, 2016, 11:32 PM

The Night Manager - 6 part miniseries was well worth the watch. Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston. "A night manager of an Egyptian hotel is recruited by intelligence agents to infiltrate an international arms dealer's network."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJzB1mtsIVo

Peaky Blinders is phenomenal. It's not new but it's worth mentioning b/c I don't see it receiving much attention. "A gangster family epic set in 1919 Birmingham, England and centered on a gang who sew razor blades in the peaks of their caps, and their fierce boss Tommy Shelby, who means to move up in the world." It might take a few episodes to get into it but persevere b/c it becomes heavily addicting. Cillian Murphy, Sam Neil. Just incredibly well done. Great cinematography. Well paced. Strong characters. Really pulls you into the early 20th century. I put it off for a while b/c it didn't sound too exciting but this is quality stuff right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-jSG3BP-g

Might be a good time to catch up on AMC's Humans season 1 before season 2 is released. Thank me later. "In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way we live." This is premium British quality entertainment done on AMC. Was NOT expecting that... at all. It's raw... original... gripping.... and emotional... and absolutely sucks you seamlessly into its A.I. world. The casting... the acting... everything is spot on IMO. Just an overall confluence of perfection. Bad...ass... show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr3pzYThiKk

Amazon's Mad Dogs is a really fun show. "A group of guys travel to Belize to see an old friend, when things take an unexpectedly dark turn."
By the executive producer of The Shield. Solid entertainment value. Great cast. Fairly original series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMsGhW_BhZY

USA's Satisfaction season 3 should be coming up soon. Another show not receiving much attention but well worth the watch. It's about a husband who begins tracking his wife's extramarital affair with a male escort.... and in the process becomes a high end male escort himself. Another original series.... and it gets crazier as it goes along. Takes you to some fun places. You know how there's like "chick dramas" that guys couldn't care less about?.... well this is like a guy's kind'a drama. Has some feel-good elements to it. Hits on some notes that most of us can related to. Solid characters. Great lead job by Matt Passmore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2QARUk3oLQ

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2016, 02:20 AM

I remember you recommending, Humans. Gotta add that to the watch list.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2016, 07:34 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Ever see Rome? Purefoy as Mark Antony is amazing. That's where I became a fan of his. And MKW is another actor I like. Who doesn't love Omar? People who haven't seen the Wire, that's who.

I'm def. going to check out out Hap and Leo. I have no idea what a "Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story" is though, Fin D. Suppose I'll find out.

As far as "new" shows... I tend to binge TV shows with a few exceptions, so I'll just put down a few that I've seen that only have 1 season .

* Netflix's, 'Narcos': I had no idea it was a Pablo Escobar story. That might of made me watch sooner. I had heard some good things, but never got around to it until recently. Was hooked right away. I thought it was incredible. Very well made and never boring. Pablo is more of the central character than a simple, antagonist. I wasn't expecting that, but it worked perfectly. I don't know why, but I tend to love it when fact meets fiction. Real life stories and events, occupied by fictional characters and how they wade through it all. For me, Narcos hit that sweet spot perfectly.

* Hulu's, 112263: Based on the Stephen King book. About a time traveler going back to stop the JFK assassination. Sound cheesy or cliche (or both)? Maybe, but it works. As I mentioned, I like when fact meets fiction. Even still, this story works. While the mini series isn't as good as the book, mainly because it has to speed things up and get to the point within 8 episodes (would of been better as 12-13 episode show, IMO). At the story's heart, it's a romance, in the backdrop of the 1960's, with the assassination of Kennedy looming over everything. I wouldn't say the mini series is great though. Good to very good. Reason being, the show is more jack of all trades than a master of anything. The romance, the 1960's backdrop, and the assassination plot are not as deep as the book portrayed. Maybe I would of felt differently if I hadn't read the book first? I bet I might have. This is why you should never read books... or something. I really loved King's descriptions of the 1960's and wished the show could of stopped to smell the roses a bit. Still, worth a watch? Yes. James Franco is great, and Sarah Gadon is my new celebrity crush. She's cute AF.

* BBC, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell: This one is cheating, it's about a year old. And it is a 7 episode mini series. Still, watch it. It's about 2 magicians, a master and apprentice, who bring magic back to England, set in Victorian England. It's a weird show... Based on a book by Susanna Clarke. The antagonist is terrific. Almost like the Joker in his irrational behavior and madness, stealing every scene. I won't say anymore, because it's a hard show to describe without giving important plots away, but it's very, very good.

Carl Hiassen & Elmore Leonard are authors who write quirky and funny crime novels. They're basically noir with humor. The movie Get Shorty was based on an Elmore Leonard book, for example.

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Apr 16, 2016, 08:19 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

Season 2 of "Bosch" is out on Prime...

I almost forgot about Bosch ..Thanks for reminding me .I watched the 10 episode second season and its just as good as the first one.:yes:

cuchulainncuchulainnSupporter
Apr 16, 2016, 09:05 PM

"CrunchTime wrote:

I almost forgot about Bosch ..Thanks for reminding me .I watched the 10 episode second season and its just as good as the first one.:yes:

Yw... I like the show a lot. Wish there some chemistry between him and his daughter tho. They just seem to recite lines to each other.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 22, 2016, 09:23 PM

Not sure if this is on American Netflix or not but Spotless is a very good British/French co production .

Edgy, sexy but real and not glossed over . It is a ten part part , hour long first season that has been renewed for season two .

Two brothers originally from France touch base again in London when the younger living on the edge brother shows up at his brother's nice upscale place in London with a freezer containing the dead body of a girl he'd been sexual with. The older brother has a family and what seems to be a successful crime scene , death clean up business, of course he gets drawn in to the darker side of life his brother lives in.

Binge watched it an now anxiously awaiting season two.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 22, 2016, 09:30 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

I have no idea what a "Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story" is though, Fin D. Suppose I'll find out.

Justified was a television series based on Elmore Leonard's short story "Fire in the Hole".Timothy Olyphant portrayed Raylan Givens, a tough U.S. Marshal enforcing his own brand of justice in his hometown of Harlan, Kentucky

I LOVED Justified.

DEDen54Supporter
Jun 12, 2016, 07:58 AM

Well it's not a tv show but a web show. Has anyone checked out this series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVmF2bB1i5g

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Jun 15, 2016, 06:33 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Has anyone tried Hap & Leonard?

Very good. Very different. Helluva cast.

Its like a Carl Hiassen/Elmore Leonard story with James Purefoy & Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) and Christina Hendricks.

Its incredible and unlike anything on TV. Sundance Channel Wednesdays.

The books by Joe Lansdale are great, he's probably my favorite author and one of the very best writing today. If you haven't read anything by him the Hap and Leonard books are a great place to start. I liked the show a lot. Had a great cast. I hear that they are going to do Season 2 but its not confirmed yet.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 15, 2016, 07:23 PM

Not a brand new show, but I just finished watching Heroes Reborn off of my DVR, about an episode a day the last two weeks. I didn't expect it to be as good as the original series (at least the first year and a half, before it went sideways), but I did expect it to try. Instead, it was dark and depressing, while being below average in quality at the same time. The original was full of hope, discovery, and characters finding themselves and one another while needing to cooperate to defeat a common foe. This one was...not that. Poor writing, poor outline, and some of the actors were in way over their heads while others seemed to be doing the best they could with shoddy material. Disapointing in many ways.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jun 15, 2016, 07:51 PM

"finfansince72 wrote:

The books by Joe Lansdale are great, he's probably my favorite author and one of the very best writing today. If you haven't read anything by him the Hap and Leonard books are a great place to start. I liked the show a lot. Had a great cast. I hear that they are going to do Season 2 but its not confirmed yet.

Check out Preacher on AMC. Its basically Hap & Leonard if Hap & Leonard had a supernatural story and it was directed by Tarantino. Its effing incredible so far, and I've only seen 2 of 3 episodes.

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Jun 15, 2016, 11:10 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Check out Preacher on AMC. Its basically Hap & Leonard if Hap & Leonard had a supernatural story and it was directed by Tarantino. Its effing incredible so far, and I've only seen 2 of 3 episodes.

Way ahead of you :) I've read all of the comics and was waiting, kinda patiently, for this series, I've seen all 3 episodes so far, it is really good. The creator/writer of the comic and one of the Producers of the show, Garth Ennis, is influenced by Lansdale, a lot of Lansdale work is very diverse, Hap and Leonard is just the tip of the iceberg.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jun 16, 2016, 07:09 AM

"finfansince72 wrote:

Way ahead of you :) I've read all of the comics and was waiting, kinda patiently, for this series, I've seen all 3 episodes so far, it is really good. The creator/writer of the comic and one of the Producers of the show, Garth Ennis, is influenced by Lansdale, a lot of Lansdale work is very diverse, Hap and Leonard is just the tip of the iceberg.

That's crazy I picked up on a similar feeling between the two. I knew Preacher was a comic, but I never read it and I knew nothing of Ennis.

This show is INCREDIBLY well done. The cinematography, the score, editing.....its BBC Sherlock level.

305305Forum Veteran
Jul 4, 2016, 12:09 AM

Jst finished watching Marco Polo season 2... Not the best series but deffinitely watchable. That fn season finale though... Left me hangin.

We're all here because we're all not there.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 12, 2016, 04:16 PM

Yeah, I wanted to start watching Marco Polo... haven't gotten there yet. Too much out there that's decent. I want to start watching the Tudors. Yeah, I know it's old. But it's on Netflix. Oh did anyone see "Night Of" yet? It's really good so far.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 12, 2016, 05:07 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

Yeah, I wanted to start watching Marco Polo... haven't gotten there yet. Too much out there that's decent. I want to start watching the Tudors. Yeah, I know it's old. But it's on Netflix. Oh did anyone see "Night Of" yet? It's really good so far.

My wife watched the Tudors when it was on BBC America a few years ago and liked it a lot. I found it to be extremely slow myself.