Mike Gillislee Video Highlights

50 replies

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired AdminOP
Apr 30, 2013, 03:28 PM

If you take a look at these highlights you will notice some of his playing qualities.He has vision and he has the patience to wait for his blocks to develop .He is shifty and he has good lateral movement .He has good hands .He will fight for a first down .He has a nose for the goaline.He has good ball security.In addition he gets better as the game goes on and wears defenses down as he did to some of the better defensive teams in the country like LSU and FSU last year.

The Gators were a one dimensional offense last year.The defenses knew he was coming but they still could not stop him .

Not shown in these highlights is that he is an excellent blocker himself which makes him a candidate to be a 3 down player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46F1Yt3jF10

What follows are not highlights but a review of his plays against LSU.You will note he made several first downs after apparently being stopped.
At the end of the game the LSU defense were exhausted and Gillislee made it look easy by scoring a couple of TDs and then running out the clock.Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97g8WTgvrSs

Please keep in mind the level of competition .Many of the defenders were the top picks in the draft .

DJvendettaDJvendettaNew Member
Apr 30, 2013, 03:37 PM

I got nothing against him, but damn he looks so slow lol. I hope he turns out to be a really good pick though

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof.”

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 30, 2013, 03:52 PM

"DJvendetta wrote:

I got nothing against him, but damn he looks so slow lol. I hope he turns out to be a really good pick though

He didn't look that slow to me. Plus, with that vision and lateral quickness he can be very effective.

From what I see he ran a 4.5 40.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2013, 03:53 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

He didn't look that slow to me. Plus, with that vision and lateral quickness he can be very effective.

From what I see he ran a 4.5 40.

I thought he actually had a pretty good second gear.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM

He is a great blocker. An all-around solid RB, I think Gillislee will make a heckuva backup this season. I don't think he'll challenge Miller, but I think he has a very good chance at displacing Daniel Thomas.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

CHchillininfl328New Member
Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM

He's slow but he's what we need. Consistently picks up the short yards, does the little things like ball security falling for extra yards etc. and is a consistent 1 cut back. He played big boy football and is way more prepared for the nfl than someone like daniel thomas, and still quite a bit faster than him.

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM

"DJvendetta wrote:

I got nothing against him, but damn he looks so slow lol. I hope he turns out to be a really good pick though

Doesn't look slow to me.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

gunn34gunn34New Member
Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I thought he actually had a pretty good second gear.

Me too.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 30, 2013, 03:59 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I thought he actually had a pretty good second gear.

Same here. Of course college is a little slower but once he got past someone he didn't get caught from behind unless he got slowed down. Contrast that with Daniel Thomas :D

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 04:14 PM

I don't think he's all that particularly physically talented beyond his shiftiness. He's got good vision, he plays hard, and he looks like a good passing down back.

He fits pretty well as someone who can be change of pace or a third down sub, but I think if you've got crappy blocking he isn't going to do much for you.

PhinishLinePhinishLineSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 04:20 PM

Didn't look slow to me. He pulled away from Lineman and LBs. He was hawked down by safeties and corners which I assume would be the case with most RBs.

Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

ORorangefinfanNew Member
Apr 30, 2013, 04:26 PM

I really liked the fact that he hit the hole with minimal dancing and gained positive yards. I think he is a good addtion to this team.

Thanks to the Darkmistress for the Sweet Sig!

"We got a dose of shut-up," nose tackle Kris Jenkins said

branbranNew Member
Apr 30, 2013, 04:43 PM

love gillislee, i may be a biased since im a gator fan, but the guy was a workhorse last season, and he plays much faster than the 4.57 or 4.58 he ran at the combine.

byroan;2178644 wrote:

Tannehill could have had more time had Clabo just fell down and forced Mario to step over him.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Apr 30, 2013, 04:47 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I don't think he's all that particularly physically talented beyond his shiftiness. He's got good vision, he plays hard, and he looks like a good passing down back.

He fits pretty well as someone who can be change of pace or a third down sub, but I think if you've got crappy blocking he isn't going to do much for you.

Speed is not great, his vision is really good though..ie.. a ZBS type of Rb.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 04:56 PM

He lacks long speed,but he plays with a good crouch in his posture, keeps himself small, doesn't take big hits, excellent protector of the football, nice hi and tight hold, is Basically the antithesis of what Reggie bush brought to the table, Mike has a downhill style that involves compact precision in his running, not escapability,Reggie is more all over the place with his thought process and moves..you will get some big runs out of it, but seeing it for two years combined with a nature not condusive to the position, I welcomed a change, and Mike for fifth round value along with the hi upside of Lamar Miller I'll take the combo over Bush.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 04:58 PM

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Apr 30, 2013, 05:04 PM

What is not mentioned on any review is that he is really a nice quiet type.He never complained when inferior RBs were starting ahead of him .A real team player.You know that Philbin will like that quality .:yes:

VManisVManisSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 05:12 PM

I don't much about Gillislee but what I see in those clips is a RB that sets up and uses his blockers well, even when he is already into the secondary.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Apr 30, 2013, 05:28 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

He lacks long speed,but he plays with a good crouch in his posture, keeps himself small, doesn't take big hits, excellent protector of the football, nice hi and tight hold, is Basically the antithesis of what Reggie bush brought to the table, Mike has a downhill style that involves compact precision in his running, not escapability,Reggie is more all over the place with his thought process and moves..you will get some big runs out of it, but seeing it for two years combined with a nature not condusive to the position, I welcomed a change, and Mike for fifth round value along with the hi upside of Lamar Miller I'll take the combo over Bush.

All day long.

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2013, 05:45 PM

I don't see slow he looks as if he has good vision on the field.

That's why they play the games!:yes:

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Apr 30, 2013, 06:06 PM

"xphinfanx wrote:

I don't see slow he looks as if he has good vision on the field.

For the fifth round, all we need him to be is a good solid backup to win the value.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2013, 07:08 PM

Decent back. Don't expect to see him on the field much if Jonas Grey pans out.

surferosasurferosaNew Member
Apr 30, 2013, 07:16 PM

Hes a bit lithe for my liking though hes plenty quick and bursty. His running style reminds me of Jamaal Charles without the extra gear or going back a few years Bobby Humphrey.

Im not as high on him as an every down back like others on the board because I don't think he has the lower body strength to break tackles and consistently gain tough yardage in the pros. I do however think he could take over backup running back duties from Daniel Thomas and provide a dynamic threat out of the backfield. But make no mistake - this is now Lamar Millers job to lose.

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Apr 30, 2013, 07:18 PM

He has the makings of just a decent all around back. He doesn't do one thing that amazes you but he does everything well and he does the little stuff...Like pick up blocks..He can catch a pass out of the backfield. Like I said he doesn't blow you away with any physical measurements and the Jamal Charles comparison is way off in my opinion. Gillislee reminds me more of the traditional steady workhorse backs. I'm not saying he's Curtis Martin but guys like Derrick Ward, Pierre Thomas, Robert Turbin come to mind when I watch Gillislee. If Miller goes down i'll feel pretty good about having Gillislee carry the load if needed. He wont fumble the ball, but he's also not going to break someones ankles or take off for an 85 yard run.
Florida backs for the most part do pretty good in the NFL i've noticed. Fred Taylor was great, Earnest Graham has had some good seasons, Erict Rhett was pretty good, that Smith guy from Dallas was decent. I'm not saying Gillislee will be Emmitt Smith but I do see the same workhorse abilities that Rhett had.

cdz12250cdz12250Supporter
Apr 30, 2013, 07:32 PM

All a back like this needs to get you is a constistent three and a half yards per carry.