How do you deal with being insulted ?
100 replies
Just wondering ? Do you get hurt and sulk about it, or do you thow it off and just ignore it ? Does it have to depend on who it is ?
"PMZQ wrote:
Just wondering ? Do you get hurt and sulk about it, or do you thow it off and just ignore it ? Does it have to depend on who it is ?
Depends with the person and what its about. Normally you try and ignore it but if you take pride in something and someone throws a insult at it you can't ignore it and it eats away at you.
"PMZQ wrote:
Just wondering ? Do you get hurt and sulk about it, or do you thow it off and just ignore it ? Does it have to depend on who it is ?
When I was younger, I would have fought about it, no matter who said it, or what was said. Now, I pretty much just pass it off, depending on what was said, and if it was directed at me, or at my wife and kids, etc...Sometimes my wife gets ticked off at me because I don't let too much get to me now. I guess it goes with getting older and growing up. I'm 44 years old, I can't spend my life getting upset about trivial matters.

Thanks Gish
it all depends. sometimes i love it, sometimes it pisses me off to no end. if its my girl i just shrug it off cuz i know shes just mad.

I laugh it off and make a joke of it or make a joke about them. I can't say I don't get mad because I do but I'm a happy person 99% of the time.
"alen1 wrote:
I laugh it off and make a joke of it or make a joke about them. I can't say I don't get mad because I do but I'm a happy person 99% of the time.
That 1% scares me to death.:wink2:

Thanks Gish
I could care less what others think about me, so insulting me is difficult.
"opfinistic wrote:
I could care less what others think about me, so insulting me is difficult.
you act like a 4 year old!! GROW UP!!!!

Its water off my back especially if its a cyber insult .I only get my dander up if anyone in my family is insulted...personally.
Reason is the best way to reply to a cyber insult.Without an emotional response make a reasonable response which is irrefutable.
"alen1 wrote:
I laugh it off and make a joke of it or make a joke about them. I can't say I don't get mad because I do but I'm a happy person 99% of the time.
That's because you're s special person alen.
I try to shrug it off now too. I'm to old to let other peoples problems with me get me down to much.
But, I have been known to let them know how I feel.
Mainly if it's about any of my family or friends. I'm a real hard nose when it comes to them.

"CrunchTime wrote:
Its water off my back especially if its a cyber insult .I only get my dander up if anyone in my family is insulted...personally.
Reason is the best way to reply to a cyber insult.Without an emotional response make a reasonable response which is irrefutable.
Your a smart man Crunch!

"PMZQ wrote:
Just wondering ? Do you get hurt and sulk about it, or do you thow it off and just ignore it ? Does it have to depend on who it is ?
Just remind yourself that if they don't think kindly of you, their opinion is not likely to a benefit to you and the insult is empty. Add to that the fact that your family and friends like you for who you are and the insult has even less meaning.
If you let the insult control you, you have, at least for the moment, given the insulter what they needed to matter -- validation.
"Celtkin wrote:
Just remind yourself that if they don't think kindly of you, their opinion is not likely to a benefit to you and the insult is empty. Add to that the fact that your family and friends like you for who you are and the insult has even less meaning.
If you let the insult control you, you have, at least for the moment, given the insulter what they needed to matter -- validation.
How did we get so lucky to have such intelligent people on here? :up:
Wonderful post Mal.

"King Felix wrote:
you act like a 4 year old!! GROW UP!!!!
:pointlol:
Funny thing is I'm a real wiseass in the real world (I know, hard to believe) and I usually hand out insults like anlgp hands out candy to cubscouts, but it's all in good fun and people know it. Now I did get reamed by a GC on a job once over a late piece of equipment and he was quite a jackass about it (loud, in front of his crew, etc) so I heard him out, let him vent, then asked him if he felt better. He said he was. I said "good, next time you want to rip someone, show some heart, I've been married twice and that didn't even faze me", with a straight face. He and his crew started laughing, and he apologized and explained he was catching **** from the Project Manager...etc. etc. but we ended up being good friends after that and have done several jobs together since then. :lol:
I make a mental note of who said what, then write it down when I get home so that I can pay them proper retribution when they least expect it.
Typically when someone is down, and thinks the day can not get any worse is when I swoop in; kicks in the groin, fake pictures given to loved ones showing infidelity, bologna on a car, razor wire ankle high across a door frame, anonymous calls to their managers expressing displeasure towards how they treated me, etc.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
.... well generally I just fire the person,but to my credit I've been pretty good about hiring only ***kissers...so it really hasn't been a problem...
Signature Work By Gish
Thanks for all the replies......I feel much better about now that I have read a lot of what you guys have said.
i have not taken "insults" serious sense middle school.....the last time i did....i turned it into my LIFE (football)....ill explain.....it was 7th grade....i got up amazing balls/nerves to ask this girl allison to the 7th grade dance....well i was chubby, and a odd lookin dude back then....(everyone is at 12) zits and everything....well i remember finally taking a deep breath and trying to be cool so i am back pedaling infront of her while shes walking forward and i ask "hey allison wanna go with me to the 7th grade dance?" she laughs with her friend and says "sorry chubbs i couldnt be seen with a monster" and walked past me standing still shaking wanting to cry my eyes out....
well literally that weekend i started running, and stretching....around 8th grade i was working out, lifting every day, and by 9th grade i was the only freshman (out of 1200 freshman) to be on the varsity football team....4 years later i am a 4 year letterman, captain sense a sophmore, and 2nd team all state, 1st team all conference...with the cpt cheerleader as my girlfriend for 3 years.....everytime i passed that bitch in the hallway i smiled at her....she knew it too....she always gave this shy little "i suck big time" grin back....
sense then, i laugh off everything and am mostly the insult disher......i have the gift of gab (hence me being on sports radio) and use it well....ive been told about 17 billion times i should be a stand up comic....or should act....but i dunno how to get into acting...and couldnt waste the money on head shots and agents....
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

I'll admit it--I'm not above getting insulted. The source does usually dictate the reaction, but sometimes it's just my mood. Not proud of that, but it's the truth. :hi5:

"HolliFinFan wrote:
I'll admit it--I'm not above getting insulted. The source does usually dictate the reaction, but sometimes it's just my mood. Not proud of that, but it's the truth. :hi5:
Some might say every woman is a victim of this when in certain "moods." :shifty:
But I won't. :escape2:
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Stitches wrote:
Some might say every woman is a victim of this when in certain "moods."
But I won't. :escape2:
You could, and I would agree :up:

"SickFinFan33 wrote:
i have not taken "insults" serious sense middle school.....the last time i did....i turned it into my LIFE (football)....ill explain.....it was 7th grade....i got up amazing balls/nerves to ask this girl allison to the 7th grade dance....well i was chubby, and a odd lookin dude back then....(everyone is at 12) zits and everything....well i remember finally taking a deep breath and trying to be cool so i am back pedaling infront of her while shes walking forward and i ask "hey allison wanna go with me to the 7th grade dance?" she laughs with her friend and says "sorry chubbs i couldnt be seen with a monster" and walked past me standing still shaking wanting to cry my eyes out....
well literally that weekend i started running, and stretching....around 8th grade i was working out, lifting every day, and by 9th grade i was the only freshman (out of 1200 freshman) to be on the varsity football team....4 years later i am a 4 year letterman, captain sense a sophmore, and 2nd team all state, 1st team all conference...with the cpt cheerleader as my girlfriend for 3 years.....everytime i passed that bitch in the hallway i smiled at her....she knew it too....she always gave this shy little "i suck big time" grin back....
sense then, i laugh off everything and am mostly the insult disher......i have the gift of gab (hence me being on sports radio) and use it well....ive been told about 17 billion times i should be a stand up comic....or should act....but i dunno how to get into acting...and couldnt waste the money on head shots and agents....
Thanks SFF, I guess I have a harder time with it, because its been happening to me since I was a very little kid. My father called me by my 1st name maybe 10 times in my whole life (he passed away in 1999). I was either sh*thead, f*ckbucket or later, after I had come out, Queer or ******. My older brother listened and learned from good ol' Dad, and so on a daily basis I was made to feel inadaquate, or unworthy.
I guess thats why I am more sensitive to it, and many times it never bothers me. But when its someone I thought was a friend, it really stings.
Thanks everyone for being my online shrink :wink2:
"HolliFinFan wrote:
I'll admit it--I'm not above getting insulted. The source does usually dictate the reaction, but sometimes it's just my mood. Not proud of that, but it's the truth. :hi5:
I guess thats what it was with me tonight. I was very surprised from the source from which it came. It hurt. :sad:
"PMZQ wrote:
I guess thats what it was with me tonight. I was very surprised from the source from which it came. It hurt. :sad:
i am sorry you got hurt bro.....and im glad you could come to us and get some smiles out of it....you deserve the best bro....as does everyone on here...i hope that "source" realizes how much they hurt you....and makes ammends....i wouldnt shy away from letting the person know how it made you feel, and talk about it:up:
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

"PMZQ wrote:
I guess thats what it was with me tonight. I was very surprised from the source from which it came. It hurt. :sad:
I don't see it as a weakness to feel real feelings. Oftentimes when I feel offended, I reevaluate when I'm in a better state. And often being offended is warranted; other times I am being oversensitive. The reaction to it is what can be controlled, not the source, as the source probably doesn't mean a slight at all.



