Dolphins add Eric Stokes as Assistant GM
18 replies
We are getting Stoked
Not for the upcoming season but Hickey has hired an assistant GM
Bucs director of college scouting Eric Stokes confirms he is leaving to become Dolphins' assistant general manager with Dennis Hickey.
Stokes joins the Dolphins after two seasons as the Director of College Scouting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey was formerly the Buccaneers Director of Player Personnel before taking the Miami position this offseason. Prior to Tampa Bay, Stokes worked for the Seattle Seahawks, starting as an area scout from 2000 to 2001 and 2005 to 2009, with a stint in the pro personnel department from 2002-2004. In 2010, he was promoted to the Assistant Director of College Scouting, where he worked until joining the Buccaneers.
Stokes had a brief NFL career, starting with the Seahawks as a fifth round pick in 1997. After two years in Seattle, Stokes was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the expansion draft in 1999, but an injury ended his career before he was able to get on the field for the Browns.
I haven't said this in a while....
Thanks Ratso
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
I hope we don't become the new Tampa Bay cast-offs like we were the Dallas cast-offs when tuna was in charge.
Eric Stokes, who worked the past 12 seasons for the Seattle Seahawks, has joined the Buccaneers' player personnel department as the team's new director of college scouting (2012)
the Buccaneers announced the hiring of Eric Stokes as the team's new director of college scouting. That position was last held by Dennis Hickey from 2005-10 before his promotion to director of player personnel.
The 38-year-old Stokes, who most recently served as the Seattle Seahawks' assistant director of college scouting from 2010-11, takes another step forward in a scouting career that began shortly after his NFL playing career ended. Stokes has spent the last dozen years working for the Seahawks, the team for which he played in 1997 and 1998 after being drafted in the fifth round in '97. Before assuming his most recent position, Stokes spent seven years as an area scout (2000-01, 2005-09) and three as an assistant in the pro personnel department (2002-04).
As the assistant director of college scouting, Stokes helped the Seahawks identify such talent as safeties Earl Thomas (first round, 2010) and Kim Chancellor (fifth round, 2010), linebacker K.J. Wright (fourth round, 2011) and cornerback Richard Sherman (fifth round, 2011). Thomas, Chancellor, Wright and Sherman all started on a resurgent Seattle defense that ranked ninth in the NFL last year.
Stokes evaluated incoming college players during his years as an area scout and assistant director, as he will be doing with the Buccaneers while coordinating the work of the team's area scouts across the nation. During his seasons as a pro personnel scout he produced weekly advance reports of upcoming opponents and assisted in the evaluation of the potential talent in free agency, NFL Europe, the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League.
Stokes played safety and on special teams during his two seasons with the Seahawks. He was then selected by Cleveland in the 1999 expansion draft but saw his career cut short by injury. Stokes played his college ball at Nebraska, where he won repeated all-conference academic honors and graduated with a degree in sociology.
Imagine there might be changes coming in the scouting department as well.
In this combine interview from 2013, Stokes said the biggest change moving from Seattle to Tampa is that the Seahawks are a little more 'old school' whereas the Bucs were more 'web-based' in regards to information.
He also talks about evaluating Russell Wilson.
Make the throwback uniforms permanent!
Timing seems wierd no? Why after the draft?
"LiferYank wrote:
Timing seems wierd no? Why after the draft?
Actually, it's the normal time for FO changes...the draft is done, for the most part, FA is done, preps for the scouting departments upcoming year are starting up, just the normal time for scouting changes...
"gunn34 wrote:
I hope we don't become the new Tampa Bay cast-offs like we were the Dallas cast-offs when tuna was in charge.
He is more of a Seahawk castoff
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
He is more of a Seahawk castoff
Seahawk castoff?......where do I sign up!

"Muck wrote:
Imagine there might be changes coming in the scouting department as well.
In this combine interview from 2013, Stokes said the biggest change moving from Seattle to Tampa is that the Seahawks are a little more 'old school' whereas the Bucs were more 'web-based' in regards to information.
He also talks about evaluating Russell Wilson.
Web based as in... analytics?
"CrunchTime wrote:
Not for the upcoming season but Hickey has hired an assistant GM
He steps into the job immediately doesn't he?
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"gunn34 wrote:
I hope we don't become the new Tampa Bay cast-offs like we were the Dallas cast-offs when tuna was in charge.
He's not a castoff unless the Bucs fired him before we hired him. It sounds like he was allowed to leave for a promotion or else his contract was up in Tampa Bay.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"FanMarino wrote:
Seahawk castoff?......where do I sign up!
Right after where Jeff Ireland signed.What goes around comes around.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

I like it better than Hickey's hiring… so maybe Hickey has the sense to know what he's good at, and what others are even better at. A good leader does hire even more talented people around him and lets them do what they do.
I agree that the scouting system is set to be gutted. I think Hickey went through the draft process with Ireland's boys and decided he wants an bunch of guys he has better rapport and trust in, in terms of their evals.
"Muck wrote:
Imagine there might be changes coming in the scouting department as well.
In this combine interview from 2013, Stokes said the biggest change moving from Seattle to Tampa is that the Seahawks are a little more 'old school' whereas the Bucs were more 'web-based' in regards to information.
He also talks about evaluating Russell Wilson.
What did he say about Wilson Muck?... Volume broken.

