Delmas benched?

29 replies

ElNinoElNinoNew MemberOP
Sep 18, 2014, 03:57 PM

Saw this posted on another forum from RotoWorld...

The Dolphins have benched FS Louis Delmas in favor of Michael Thomas.
Asked Monday when they made the move, Fins coach Joe Philbin replied "everything." Thomas has simply outplayed Delmas, whom Miami signed to a one-year, $3.5 million deal in the offseason. Thomas finished Week 2 with six tackles (four solo) and should not be of much interest in IDP league owners. Sep 15 - 1:24 PM

Edit: he's been injured, but they quote philbin giving a reason for demotion....so is he just injured or losing the starting job?

Sep 18, 2014, 04:06 PM

I think Rotoworld misunderstood.

Louis Delmas did not start the Buffalo game. Michael Thomas started in his place. However Thomas only played 12 snaps and Delmas played nearly the entire game. So it LOOKS like not being given the start could have been a disciplinary thing for Delmas.

There's been no indication whether this would be a thing going forward.

I know of some more changes in store for the secondary but I'm not allowed to go into them. Suffice it to say they like Michael Thomas. But I've not heard anything that suggests to me they like him over Louis Delmas.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Sep 18, 2014, 04:16 PM

Starting in the NFL is one of the dumber stats ever tracked....big deal about being in formation on the first snap of the game.

heck, Gronk didn't START vs MIA...big deal.

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

ElNinoElNinoNew Member
Sep 18, 2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks parrothead very helpful post. Need fist bumps on my mobile browser.

Thats the second time I've posted information from a poor source about the fins this week. Apologies.

Sep 18, 2014, 11:37 PM

I noticed a couple Miami media sources on twitter were saying Thomas will actually play in the place of Wilson.

Wilson will return to his usual nickel back role, which I think is a good move.... that position suits Wilson better

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 01:35 AM

"ElNino wrote:

Thanks parrothead very helpful post. Need fist bumps on my mobile browser.

Thats the second time I've posted information from a poor source about the fins this week. Apologies.

Sheeeeeee$, first rule of fight club, we don't talk about fight club, I'll just tell ya this, that ain't nothing..

Club level bro, it's freakin hot right now..no joke.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 01:39 AM

"Pennington's Limp Arm wrote:

I noticed a couple Miami media sources on twitter were saying Thomas will actually play in the place of Wilson.

Wilson will return to his usual nickel back role, which I think is a good move.... that position suits Wilson better

I was gonna start a thread on this but this topic is good, It's time he gets benched, he's quite possibly one of the worst open field tacklers of the football I've seen, you cannot have that trait in your resume when playing the position, there was a play in buffalo that was a bench able action..it was freakin embarrassing and I'm sure it got called out..joke man..your a freakin professional safety and you don't know how to take an angle and make a tackle, wth is the matter with you..bench his ass..

we like mike, we owe mike, give mike a chance.

Rant done..thanks

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 05:25 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I think Rotoworld misunderstood.

Louis Delmas did not start the Buffalo game. Michael Thomas started in his place. However Thomas only played 12 snaps and Delmas played nearly the entire game. So it LOOKS like not being given the start could have been a disciplinary thing for Delmas.

There's been no indication whether this would be a thing going forward.

I know of some more changes in store for the secondary but I'm not allowed to go into them. Suffice it to say they like Michael Thomas. But I've not heard anything that suggests to me they like him over Louis Delmas.

My powers of deduction tell me it must be Wilson that is getting moved then. :)

Phoenician FanPhoenician FanForum Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 08:24 AM

I like Mike!

Never liked the Jimmy acquisition and have been calling for him to be released for years.

I could see the Dolphins going forward in 2015 without Wilson,Delmas,Wheeler,Ellerbe,Garner,Dallas Thomas, etc.

This roster is in need of some serious upgrades IMO. Wouldn't surprise me to see a safety drafted in the 2nd round if Walt Aikens doesn't develop nicely. I like Eric Rowe early and Dean Marlowe late, especially if Marlowe looks good returning kicks this year.

Rowe is playing CB for the first time this year. I hope to get a chance to watch a couple Utes games.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Sep 19, 2014, 09:35 AM

"Philbinfan wrote:

I like Mike!

Never liked the Jimmy acquisition and have been calling for him to be released for years.

I could see the Dolphins going forward in 2015 without Wilson,Delmas,Wheeler,Ellerbe,Garner,Dallas Thomas, etc.

This roster is in need of some serious upgrades IMO. Wouldn't surprise me to see a safety drafted in the 2nd round if Walt Aikens doesn't develop nicely. I like Eric Rowe early and Dean Marlowe late, especially if Marlowe looks good returning kicks this year.

Rowe is playing CB for the first time this year. I hope to get a chance to watch a couple Utes games.

No reason to release Wilson. For everything he's not at safety....well he's a very good nickel corner. Remember he's only playing at safety due to injury.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 09:57 AM

Will Davis is playing good ball right now, I really dont know how this is gonna work.

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Sep 19, 2014, 09:59 AM

"ElNino wrote:

Saw this posted on another forum from RotoWorld...

The Dolphins have benched FS Louis Delmas in favor of Michael Thomas.
Asked Monday when they made the move, Fins coach Joe Philbin replied "everything."

Edit: he's been injured, but they quote philbin giving a reason for demotion....so is he just injured or losing the starting job?

P.S. what kind of answer is that, and what does it mean? Is it even an accurate quote to the question asked?

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM

"BigDogsHunt wrote:

P.S. what kind of answer is that, and what does it mean? Is it even an accurate quote to the question asked?

Think you nailed it. More like an answer to what are you going to work on this week.

That's why they play the games!:yes:

Sep 19, 2014, 11:08 AM

Since there are people saying that the local media are already reporting it, I can go ahead and say it. According to what I've heard, Michael Thomas will start at safety and Jimmy Wilson will move back to slot corner.

What I don't know is which guy is going to be the 5th man. For instance, it could be that Jimmy Wilson stays at safety on base downs while four defensive backs are on the field, and then moves to slot corner when they go with a nickel package. In that case, Michael Thomas would be the extra DB to come on the field at nickel, but he would play a true safety position. I believe the Dolphins used to do this with Tyrone Culver back in the day. On the other hand, the Dolphins could just flat out make Michael Thomas the new starter at safety, a guy who plays 100% of snaps (until Reshad Jones gets back)...and then Jimmy Wilson would be relegated to being the 5th defensive back that would come on the field in nickel packages. I don't know which will be the case.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Sep 19, 2014, 12:55 PM

"ElNino wrote:

Thanks parrothead very helpful post. Need fist bumps on my mobile browser.

Thats the second time I've posted information from a poor source about the fins this week. Apologies.

You need to download Tapatalk.:yes:

HellionHellionSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 02:53 PM

Like I said in the thread about Miami bringing Delmas in for a visit. i am very ehh about him, being a Lions fan i watched him and unless he was a role player with a small contract (one year) then he isn't an upgrade and isn't anything special.

Hellion;2300437]Nothing special, injured often, watched him with Detroit, if they are not signing him with their suspect secondary then I'll pass

Hellion;2300693]I liked him coming out of WMU and was glad to see the Lions draft him, but he isn't anything special and unless the Dolphins sign him to a cheap low risk contract as a role player I don't think it's worth signing him, he isn't an upgrade.

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 03:10 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Will Davis is playing good ball right now, I really dont know how this is gonna work.

I have a good friend who lives in South Florida and he keeps me informed about the latest on the Dolphins. He e-mailed me this morning and he said there was an article in the Miami Herald which stated that Thomas was going to replace Wilson and Wilson would go back to playing the slot receiver when the Dolphins go to five defensive backs.

If that is the case, it appears Davis is the odd man out when the Dolphins go to a nickle defense. When Jones comes back after his suspension, it is looking at this time that Davis and Taylor will continue to slide down the depth chart.

This was suppose to be the year where both the DB's stepped up and showed why they selected so high in the 2013 draft. Instead Taylor really hasn't shown he can even crack the top six defensive backs and Davis appears to be losing the support of the coaching staff.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 07:29 PM

"CrunchTime wrote:

You need to download Tapatalk.:yes:

I've been on my iPad for years on the board, I'm always scared to download tapatalk for fear of not like the functionality, I don't know what would be better than what it is now?

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 07:32 PM

"jw3102 wrote:

I have a good friend who lives in South Florida and he keeps me informed about the latest on the Dolphins. He e-mailed me this morning and he said there was an article in the Miami Herald which stated that Thomas was going to replace Wilson and Wilson would go back to playing the slot receiver when the Dolphins go to five defensive backs.

If that is the case, it appears Davis is the odd man out when the Dolphins go to a nickle defense. When Jones comes back after his suspension, it is looking at this time that Davis and Taylor will continue to slide down the depth chart.

This was suppose to be the year where both the DB's stepped up and showed why they selected so high in the 2013 draft. Instead Taylor really hasn't shown he can even crack the top six defensive backs and Davis appears to be losing the support of the coaching staff.

You mean were not good enough to keep you informed?

Oh yeah that's right, u ain't part of fight club, so you have no idea how informed you could be...

Like no idea, there's Sh&$ that I know right now that I can't tell ya, cant talk about fight club know what im say j-dub..lol

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 07:34 PM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

Jimmy Wilson has played the best of anyone in the secondary through two games. I'm not saying it's sustainable, but it's a fact that should be noted.

He can't fu@&in tackle Travis, it's Ridiculous...go mike Thomas...

You don't think Thomas getting the nod over him has anything to do with mike being the waaaay better tackler..?

I'd bet it does, his buffalo effort was amateurish..

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Sep 19, 2014, 07:41 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

He can't fu@&in tackle Travis, it's Ridiculous...go mike Thomas...

You don't think Thomas getting the nod over him has anything to do with mike being the waaaay better tackler..?

I'd bet it does, his buffalo effort was amateurish..

Sure seemed Jimmy missed a few...but I'm kinda partial (look at my sig pic haha).

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 08:06 PM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

But his game against the Pats was sensational.

Really?

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 09:13 PM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

The Patriots didn't miss nearly every throw beyond 15 yards for no reason.

“I like the way he tackles,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “I think he’s a very good tackler.

I see it that way as well, Jimmy was that bad of a tackler.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 09:18 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

He won't fu@&in tackle properly Travis, it's Ridiculous...go mike Thomas...

You don't think Thomas getting the nod over him has anything to do with mike being the waaaay better tackler..?

I'd bet it does, his buffalo effort was amateurish..

Fixed!

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 19, 2014, 09:18 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

Sure seemed Jimmy missed a few...but I'm kinda partial (look at my sig pic haha).

We could put together a small video of whiffs from the 6 games of action I've seen this year..

Lol, I mean this one last week was downright hilarious..I can't explain it, but if you saw it in slow motion you wouldn't believe someone could get paid to play.