Circuit City may have to shut down 150 stores...

47 replies

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury BoxOP
Oct 21, 2008, 01:21 AM

To avoid bankruptcy. No link, was just on the evening news.:no: This is not good. If Circuit City goes under, that will just leave Best Buy, and we all will end up paying higher prices.


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 01:48 AM

Ah crap.

Lt DanLt DanForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 05:43 AM

The Circuit City here blows anyway and the closest Best Buy is 30+ minutes away so I really don't shop at either

FiN.in.RIFiN.in.RINew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 12:33 PM

Maybe if they did buisness better, they wouldn't have to close their doors. And no, we will not be paying higher prices at Best Buy because CC is closing a few stores. lol.

As the crowd shook

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 12:40 PM

CC isn't as competitive as BestBuy or Brandsmart, IMO. No great loss.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 01:03 PM

Does CC still pay their employees on commision? Thats the one reason I liked shopping there. The kids at Best Buy are the least helpful individuals Ive ever dealt with. I walked around for 15 minutes trying to get someone to ring me up for a 51" TV.

Sales people tend to know more about the product when they can make a buck off what they're selling.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 01:04 PM

"hardkorexxx wrote:

does cc still pay their employees on commision? Thats the one reason i liked shopping there. The kids at best buy are the least helpful individuals ive ever dealt with. I walked around for 15 minutes trying to get someone to ring me up for a 51" tv.

sales people tend to know more about the product when they can make a buck off what they're selling.

qft.

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Oct 21, 2008, 02:05 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

CC isn't as competitive as BestBuy or Brandsmart, IMO. No great loss.

That may be but Circuit City in my opinion is the better place to shop.:up: Best Buy is known for selling products to seniors that they don't need, and as far as selling re-furbished product, and product that is supposedly new, that is last years model. I rather pay a little more, and get the help I need at Circuit City. I always get great help at Circuit City, and I am in and out the door.


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Oct 21, 2008, 02:28 PM

"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:

That may be but Circuit City in my opinion is the better place to shop.:up: Best Buy is known for selling products to seniors that they don't need, and as far as selling re-furbished product, and product that is supposedly new, that is last years model. I rather pay a little more, and get the help I need at Circuit City. I always get great help at Circuit City, and I am in and out the door.

I use CC and BB only to look at products. Everything else I get from Amazon :D

No more for me though, with this economy and launching a new business, I'll wait a while for any big purchases.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 02:32 PM

"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:

That may be but Circuit City in my opinion is the better place to shop.:up: Best Buy is known for selling products to seniors that they don't need, and as far as selling re-furbished product, and product that is supposedly new, that is last years model. I rather pay a little more, and get the help I need at Circuit City. I always get great help at Circuit City, and I am in and out the door.

There is definitely a difference in Customer Service levels between one and the other. I'm the kind of guy that buys what he wants and I generally don't utilize a salesperson when I shop. (I actually hate the sleazy buggers, and that has nothing to do with the fact that I am one ;))

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 02:39 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

I use CC and BB only to look at products. Everything else I get from Amazon :D

No more for me though, with this economy and launching a new business, I'll wait a while for any big purchases.

Ah you're one of THOSE guys. I hated people like you when I worked in commision retail sales.

The best was when I worked in a shoe store and people would tell me they only wanted to see what size they were so they could buy online. Needless to say we were always sold out of all sizes they requested :shifty:

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 02:44 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Does CC still pay their employees on commision? Thats the one reason I liked shopping there. The kids at Best Buy are the least helpful individuals Ive ever dealt with. I walked around for 15 minutes trying to get someone to ring me up for a 51" TV.

Sales people tend to know more about the product when they can make a buck off what they're selling.

cant say the same for car salesmen.

anyways, i never shop at CC, theyre just not competitive and their selection for cds suck ass compared to BB.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 02:44 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

The best was when I worked in a shoe store

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 02:45 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Ah you're one of THOSE guys. I hated people like you when I worked in commision retail sales.

The best was when I worked in a shoe store and people would tell me they only wanted to see what size they were so they could buy online. Needless to say we were always sold out of all sizes they requested :shifty:

Serves you right you corporate bastards!

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 02:45 PM

i have a CC going up right by my house..weird. whats more weird is its only 5 miles from another CC. that CC is right next to a best buy...and 9 out of 10 times, for a big purchase, i goto CC.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 02:45 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

:lol:

HardKore=Bundy

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 02:54 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

I'll be honest, I pulled more tang from working in that place than when I worked in a bar. We were in the mall right across from the food court, a male whores dream!!!

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Oct 21, 2008, 02:57 PM

The trend today is to buy online.

CC has plenty of competition so their departure wont be felt much IMO other than the convenience factor....close to home.

Competition.....Best Buy,Office depot,Walmart Super Stores,Tiger Direct,CompUSA,CompServe,Computer Solutions etc.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 03:00 PM

"CrunchTime wrote:

The trend today is to buy online.

CC has plenty of competition so their departure wont be felt much IMO other than the convenience factor....close to home.

Competition.....Best Buy,Office depot,Walmart Super Stores,Tiger Direct,CompUSA,Computer Solutions etc.

compusa is owned by tigerdirect i do believe.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 03:11 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

compusa is owned by tigerdirect i do believe.

You are correct Sir. Comp USA had a ridiculous blow-out sale down here a few months back before they were bought out.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

FiN.in.RIFiN.in.RINew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 03:37 PM

"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:

That may be but Circuit City in my opinion is the better place to shop.:up: Best Buy is known for selling products to seniors that they don't need, and as far as selling re-furbished product, and product that is supposedly new, that is last years model. I rather pay a little more, and get the help I need at Circuit City. I always get great help at Circuit City, and I am in and out the door.


That is such a load of Bull

As the crowd shook

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 03:43 PM

i used to like compusa...

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Oct 21, 2008, 03:45 PM

"FinSane wrote:

i used to like compusa...

That was a decent store, geared more towards the tech-savvy shopper, IMO.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 03:46 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

That was a decent store, geared more towards the tech-savvy shopper, IMO.

and i was a tech savvy kind in 90s-early 2000s. i havent kept up with all the new stuff. the only gadget ive bought recently is a ZUNE.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Oct 21, 2008, 04:14 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Ah you're one of THOSE guys. I hated people like you when I worked in commision retail sales.

The best was when I worked in a shoe store and people would tell me they only wanted to see what size they were so they could buy online. Needless to say we were always sold out of all sizes they requested :shifty:

Yup. One of those guys. You're trying to make money, I'm trying to save it. Every person for themselves. I mean, If best buy and cc are showing $3,000MSRP for a tv I can buy from amazon with no tax, free shipping, 30 day return policy, and selling for $2,000, how can I not?

Shoes I buy in store normally. I dont need to see what size I am either, but save for a few shops, I dont' trust online stores for my AF1s and Dunks etc. Plus I need instant gratification for shoes. My GF wonders why I have over 40 pairs I have not worn yet :D