Zack Bowman signed

19 replies

Pennington's Limp ArmPennington's Limp ArmForum VeteranOP
Apr 13, 2015, 02:21 PM

http://www.nfl.com/player/zackbowman/2507484/profile

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485032/article/dolphins-bring-in-corner-zack-bowman-for-a-visit

Searching for some hidden value at the cornerback position, the Dolphins signed former Giants and Bears defensive back Zack Bowman on Monday, the team announced.
Bowman, 30, was one of the more impressive defensive backs in Giants camp last summer and at 6-1, 200 pounds, he possesses plenty of desired physicality at the position.

He was buried in New York last year.
Physical veteran guy. I'm thinking this is a depth move, but If Jamar doesn't have a great camp (or is injured), he could see a decent amount of reps.

Noted for his special teams play too, which is a big need for us.

1 year deal per.
Can't find any $$ terms on the deal yet.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2015, 02:32 PM

That was quick. Good signing.

Phoenician FanPhoenician FanForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2015, 02:49 PM

Bowman can't cover.....that's it, he just can't; but he used to be quite a big hitter.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Apr 13, 2015, 03:08 PM

Maybe give him a look at safety if he doesn't pan out at CB. Either way it's a good signing because we are short CB numbers right now. It gives us more wiggle room in the draft.

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Apr 13, 2015, 03:13 PM

"Phoenician Fan wrote:

Bowman can't cover.....that's it, he just can't; but he used to be quite a big hitter.

The job of the CB is to cover the receiver. If he can't cover as you suggest, this is a terrible signing if he is projected to be a contributor in the secondary.

If he was brought in to be a member of the special teams. His ability to deliver big hits will certainly be a benefit and for that purpose, he might end up being a solid ST player for the Dolphins.

thetylernatorthetylernatorForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2015, 03:25 PM

Quality pick up. With Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Brice McCain and T.J. Heath all in the mix as well, whoever wins the job opposite Brent Grimes will definitely have earned it.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Apr 13, 2015, 04:40 PM

I like. I like it a lot.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Apr 13, 2015, 05:09 PM

"Phoenician Fan wrote:

Bowman can't cover.....that's it, he just can't; but he used to be quite a big hitter.

yeah...

@AdamHBeasley Per @pff, Bowman was strong in coverage last year, leading the league in catches per snaps in coverage (once every 18.6).

7777FinFanSupporter
Apr 13, 2015, 08:36 PM

"Alex13 wrote:

yeah...

That's worded rather awkwardly, but I'm assuming from context that he indeed can cover?

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 13, 2015, 08:57 PM

I didn't know much about him before the signing, but apparently as of late, he's good on allowing a low completion percentage, but bad on allowing a high YPC. WRs seem to be boom or bust vs him.

BrasfinBrasfinForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2015, 11:19 PM

"77FinFan wrote:

That's worded rather awkwardly, but I'm assuming from context that he indeed can cover?

Guess he means leading the league in catches allowed per snaps in coverage. If I'm interpreting this correctly, it basically means that only 1 out of every 18.6 passes were caught by the receiver when the ball was thrown Bowman's way. That seems like an awfully high number though... makes it seem as if the guy was pretty much a shutdown corner.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Apr 13, 2015, 11:26 PM

"Brasfin wrote:

Guess he means leading the league in catches allowed per snaps in coverage. If I'm interpreting this correctly, it basically means that only 1 out of every 18.6 passes were caught by the receiver when the ball was thrown Bowman's way. That seems like an awfully high number though... makes it seem as if the guy was pretty much a shutdown corner.

I think "per snap" means just that...whether the ball came his way or not. 1 of 18 targets would be insane...can't be THAT good.

Either way...if he led the league in it, that's certainly a positive.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Phoenician FanPhoenician FanForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2015, 02:11 AM

"Alex13 wrote:

yeah...

The link for PFF is an article by Sam Morison with signature stats categories that are about college players and none of the categories is the one about catches made when a CB is in the area, which by the way, is a category I've never seen on PFF.

I'm not saying you or Beasely made this up but Bowman finished the year with a -4.0 something rating. He isn't good and has really only had one good year his whole career, and he was even cut by the Bears the one year and wasn't re-signed until there were injuries.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Apr 14, 2015, 03:03 AM

he had 3 rough games last year, against Luck, Russell and surprisingly against the rams, besides that he was pretty solid

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 14, 2015, 04:37 AM

"77FinFan wrote:

That's worded rather awkwardly, but I'm assuming from context that he indeed can cover?

Well, in coverage snaps per reception, among corners playing at least 25% of their teams snaps, he was the top corner in the league. In yards allowed per coverage snap, he is 25th fewest allowed out of 116 corners. His one season extensively starting, 12 games of 16 played, he had 6 ints and 10 PBU.

But, yeah, he cannot cover...

...according to the always constantly negative Nancys anyway.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 14, 2015, 04:45 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I didn't know much about him before the signing, but apparently as of late, he's good on allowing a low completion percentage, but bad on allowing a high YPC. WRs seem to be boom or bust vs him.

Out of 116 corners, in 2014, he allowed the 4th fewest total YAC.

QB rating throwing into his coverage was 75.1, the 21st lowest among corners.

36.1% of passes thrown into his coverage were completed. Lowest in the league among corners last year.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 14, 2015, 04:48 AM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

I think "per snap" means just that...whether the ball came his way or not. 1 of 18 targets would be insane...can't be THAT good.

Either way...if he led the league in it, that's certainly a positive.

He played 242 coverage snaps. He was targeted 36 times, and allowed 13 receptions.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

gunn34gunn34New Member
Apr 14, 2015, 07:42 AM

And he is pretty solid on ST too.

Apr 14, 2015, 12:52 PM

I haven't done a TON of tape study on Zack Bowman.

But what I saw, I liked.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Apr 14, 2015, 09:07 PM

"Phoenician Fan wrote:

Bowman can't cover.....that's it, he just can't; but he used to be quite a big hitter.

I knew you sounded familiar..."That's it...That's the ticket."