1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zach thomas says the fins should trade #1 for marshall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The Broncos do.......mainly because coach Pediatric, isn't mature enough himself to take them head on.

xphinfanx likes this.
  2. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Bryant is moot now anyway at this point.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I'm not really sure where this nonsense comes from that this front office won't go after a WR in the draft or via trade, that they don't place a priority on the position, doesn't make sense. We spent a couple of picks last year and Ireland stated its a position he is trying to upgrade. Just because we don't overspend, make lopsided trades or foolishly reach in the draft doesn't mean the front office is ignoring the position.

Seeing some of these FA contracts makes me glad we walked away from some of these guys and really the #12 overall pick for Marshall and all of his baggage is a huge risk. I can understand why fans and guys like Zach are all for it but they aren't going to be fired or tossing millions in the garbage if the guy reverts to past form. He's been a problem in the locker room and off the field and for the coaching staff, MAJOR red flags for people that actually have a job depending on him or have millions invested in him.

4. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I mean dez bryant in the draft.

5. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Oh, OK.

6. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks for the laugh.

I think I rode fishypete for the next 2 years after that one.

7. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    He should be brought in as Linebackers Coach. If anybody knows that position and can pass it on its Zach.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I am going on record right now saying if they do not get Brandon Marshall, I want Parcells and Ireland gone, I have freaking had it....okay we argue back and forth about this guy, those who want him say, "ehhh we are just fans right, dreaming big", throwing out "Madden" like trades out there w/o regard, that we dont know jack about football, or how an organization is run.....BUT WHEN ZACK EFFING THOMAS SAYS IT NOW I REALIZE THAT I WASNT TOTALLY OFF THE CHARTS ABOUT THIS SINCE WEEK FREAKING 5 WHEN I STARTED TO REALIZE HE WAS AVAILABLE AT THE END OF THE YEAR.....!!!!!

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    simply because a guy at this talent level doesnt not come around very often for one pick.....look at what the Bears had to give for Cutler, NO for Ricky back then...a top 5 WR doesnt just all of a sudden become available for not much....and yes a 1st is not much for him...think about it...

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Zach is never wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I agree with this, if the front office thinks that Dez Bryant is the pick (or any other receiver in the first round, I doubt this is the case but we've seen weirder things)... I'd hope they are strongly considering trading Marshall... I don't see this being the case, but I'd be OK with giving up a first round pick for Marshall. He really is that good, IMO.

12. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    The thing the Trade for Marshall camp needs to think about too though, is that #1 pick is more valuable than Marshall.

What happens if by some miracle of god, Suh, or McCoy calls down to the #12, or heck even the #9 range where we can trade up? What about if somehow Berry falls?

I'd take a ballhawk Safety, or a Franchise NT over Marshall any day of the week. Our biggest issues are on D (in my opinion). It's not likely to happen, but we've seen crazier things in the draft.

I think for that possibility, and taking Dez as a consolation prize if that happens, I'd rather hold onto the pick.

Because seriously, (it won't happen), but if Suh falls to #12 in the draft, and we pick up Marshall, I will literally throw my remote through my TV... And I really don't want to do that :)

13. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You know, I understand thatwe really need a playmaker. Saying that I just dont think trading for Marshall would be a horrible idea. The guy is a good player, but everything the guy brings with him just lowers his risk/benefit ratio. The guy has been arrested like what 4 times. He's been arrested for beating women. They guy has been a headache for Denver the past 2 years.

Now I know Bryant doesn't have a squeaky clean past by any means, I think he come with a huge possible upside. Less baggage. Younger. More hungry.

Talent wise we are doing well with either. Unfortunatly, talent does nothing when you are somebody like Pacman Jones sitting out for seasons because you can't stay out of trouble. After being arrested 4 times you know he's walking thin ice with Godell.

Trowa likes this.
  14. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Trade thigpen and our #2 for marshall.Orton sucks!If somebody falls we snatch them up.Problem solved.Yeah right likes that gonna happen.

15. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Zach was a great player for us in his prime, but his word isn't god. If Zach Thomas said he wipes with leaves, then half of you would go out and pick some off of trees.

Marshall is a good WR, but he is still a idiot.

16. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    :shifty:

I agree with your first point. Many players are great players but that doesn't mean they can evaluate talent.

As for Marshall, I'm not sure I'd agree that he's an idiot, but he's definitely got "diva" characteristics. In the end it will be what the FO thinks of him. You have got to wonder if Bill Parcells' relationship with TO has any play in this decision.

steveincolorado likes this.
  17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Then why hasn't someone signed him? You're forgetting the big contract he wants as well.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I have so much respect for Zach, if he says something like that, we should listen. The man has more NFL knowledge in his little pinky that most ESPN or NFLN "gurus" have in their entire careers.

19. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I agree, i dont understand why people always assume a player will be good because A) they were good in college which is completely different and B)they were drafted in the 1st round. Jason Allen and Tedd Ginn were 1st rounders. Like i said before, production over prospect.

20. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The same reason people ASSUME that a guy that has gotten arrested 4 times and has been a problem for another team will all of the sudden get here and become a saint. I'm sure Miami just cures the urge to beat your wife or girlfriend.

21. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    I know Nabo that was an awesome thread, good old Pete lol

22. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    With next to no UFAs available, this is not the year to trade 1st round picks for RFAs. I posted my thoughts regarding Marshall under the "Lombardi" thread and won't rehash them here. If people want Marshall so bad, why not keep the 12th pick and sign him as a UFA next year? If a CBA is signed, the 2011 Free Agent class will be the deepest ever. Do we need to make a reckless move in 2010 when 2011 will provide us with enough free agent opportunities to fill all our remaining needs. What is this team so good we need to sell out to make a Super Bowl run this year? The foresight and football acumen on this board lacks something to be desired.

23. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I have been a person who changed their life around, maybe not you and so that's why I can believe and appreciate someone changing for the better. In life, people can change. And this is life, not madden.

24. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Didn't work for Randy McMichael.

25. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Most of my friends out here in denver that are broncos fans don't even want Marshall back, they want him gone.:wink2:

ascii likes this.
  26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If that is the case yes then you have to take those 2 guys over Marshall those are the only 2 I would want over Marshall...unfortunately that wont happen, and we will know before the draft if Marshall is ours or not...so if it did happen Miami couldnt do anything about it anyway....however I would bet the mortgage those 2 dont make it out of the top 5, nevermind make it to 12.....

As far as trading up in the first round, definitely not happening either...

27. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I don't think it will either, but the more likely possibility is trading down and picking up maybe a 2-3 rd pick as well.

I'm not saying I'm 100% against Marshall, I'm just saying that there's a lot of possibilities to be had given our position in the draft. Marshall, if everything works perfectly, definitely fills one of our "issue" positions. But maybe that #1 pick can do more than fix just one positional hole, or possibly fix a situation thats worse than WR?

I fight myself on this day after day to be honest (Thank god it's not my decision). I'm just gunshy personally on the gamble, I'd hate to put my career on the line on a decision like that, so I can understand the FO's stance. If he pans out, he's a slam dunk. If he flops/suspended, it could be the first domino in a chain that takes us out of the "up and coming" category.

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    thats the thing though they wouldnt lose their jobs, Ross who knows nothing about football needs Parcells, so he wont lose his job...the Marshall decision will be made by both Parcells and Ireland, and I think they both would have to agree to that, so Ireland wouldnt get fired over it.......if Ross does fire somebody it would be Ireland, who I have heard all these great things about, and alot of people on here say he is running the show, and if thats the case, I'm not very impressed....judging on the drafts he has given us...I wouldnt really consider him a huge loss, but who knows maybe he comes up with some stellar picks, and makes me eat crow....

29. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Ireland has hit on some picks and missed on others.Same with free agency.The problem is so far we have only one star player with his picks that being jake long.If we are going to compete he needs to hit on at least one play maker on either side of the ball in this draft or this whole regime is going to be gone in 2 years.

30. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    This happens often, not only with receivers, but with other positional players as well. The fans get sick of there antics, especially if the team isn't doing well. If you told me he'd come here at a decent rate and have a solid 3 year run before I got tired of him, I'd take it. Assuming it's for a 2nd not a 1st. A solid 3 year run for a 2nd round pick would be worth it IMO. :yes:

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Kudos to you. It is no small feat to change your life around, and you should be proud.

However, while I agree that it can happen for anyone, I wouldn't be willing to gamble on it for some people.