Zach Thomas is out for season
34 replies
After missing seven games this season as a result of continued symptoms from concussions, Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas has been placed on the injured reserve, sidelining him for the remainder of the year, two sources said Tuesday.
The Dolphins activated tackle Julius Wilson and linebacker Kelvin Smith off the practice squad, filling the slots left void by Thomas and Cameron Worrell (torn ACL).
shoot, I was hoping he'd be able to make it back, although how this season has gone that's not that big of a surprise...
Wow...the hits just keep on coming.
I hope he hasn't played his last game as a Miami Dolphin, but if he has, what an amazing career for an undersized, underrated 5th round pick, who will eventually end up in the Hall of Fame.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
good, we're letting the young guys come in...our season is over, may as well let Julius and Kelvin get some playing time to see if they can contribute anything
If he retires, I would love to see the front office offer him a job as our linebackers coach, put him on the fast track to becoming defensive coordinator, and scout for his own successor to run the defense on the field.
It's for the best. Theres no point in him risking further injury. He said a while back that he'd be back next year. I'm sure if the doctors give him the go ahead he'll be back for at least one more season.
"Carabinieri44 wrote:
good, we're letting the young guys come in...our season is over, may as well let Julius and Kelvin get some playing time to see if they can contribute anything
Good????? How is this good?
The guy is a Miami icon, having some medical problems and its good?
Smith will not play Zach's spot, special teams maybe, Wilson??????


Cory Lekkerkerker took Chris Liwenski's spot on Sunday for the final quarter or two....it looks like Cam is letting our younger guys get a chance.
Cory is 6'7, kinda big for a Guard, idk why u wouldnt work him at RT instead.
Five opening day starters out for the season. Has there been a worse year? I thought last year was bad. This is horrible.
Check this out - Three of eight of our first game inactives are now starters.
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29204/WAS_Gamebook.pdf
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29375/MIA_Gamebook.pdf
It's amazing how many guys have gone down, were working on saftey # 24 I think. As for ZT I'm glad they shut him down, if he's having lingering effects he's better off not getting hit or hitting anyone else.
"Carabinieri44 wrote:
Cory is 6'7, kinda big for a Guard, idk why u wouldnt work him at RT instead.
Because Shelton is doing alright.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
As you would expect ZT did not like the idea of going to IR.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-1204thomas,0,864994.story
"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
Good????? How is this good?
The guy is a Miami icon, having some medical problems and its good?
Smith will not play Zach's spot, special teams maybe, Wilson??????
I think it is great. I'm VERY pleased that someone stepped in to save Zach from himself. Anyone who doesn't see this as a good move is selfish and narrow thinking. Zach is one hit away from slobbering upon himself for the rest of his days.. do you love Zach Thomas ?? I do, and the LAST thing "I" want to see is him shaking and shuffling through life like Muhammad Ali.
I honestly wonder if we are going to set a record for number of starters placed on IR during a season.
"dolphan117 wrote:
I honestly wonder if we are going to set a record for number of starters placed on IR during a season.
The Gills haven't had that much luck in that department neither. I hate to say it but I like what the Gills have done under Levy/Jauron. Quietly, they are getting better.
August 28 placed OL Aaron Merz on injured reserve
September 1 placed DE Al Wallace on injured reserve
September 11 placed S Ko Simpson on injured reserve
September 13 placed TE Kevin Everett on injured reserve
September 13 placed CB Jason Webster on injured reserve
September 24 placed LB Paul Posluszny on injured reserve
September 26 placed OL Jason Whittle on injured reserve
October 5 placed LB Kevin Harrison on injured reserve
October 19 placed WR Peerless Price on injured reserve
November 8 placed TE Derek Schouman on injured reserve
November 14 placed TE Matt Murphy on injured reserve
November 14 placed CB Kiwaukee Thomas on injured reserve
and then there is the injury report -
"cnc66 wrote:
I think it is great. I'm VERY pleased that someone stepped in to save Zach from himself. Anyone who doesn't see this as a good move is selfish and narrow thinking. Zach is one hit away from slobbering upon himself for the rest of his days.. do you love Zach Thomas ?? I do, and the LAST thing "I" want to see is him shaking and shuffling through life like Muhammad Ali.
Great post Marty. I was just going to say, Zach is at a time in his career, that he has to think of his health after football.

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
Another sad day in Dolphin land. The hits keep coming. Looks like the hits that Zach has laid over the years have finally started to catch up with him. Hopefully we see him back next year... ONLY if he is cleared medically.
thanks to gish
Dear Zach
Take your Honor and run. You have been the heart, soul, leadership, and role model for, not only the defense, but the entire team. Your hits, work ethic, and class make you the best Linebacker in the NFL. We, Dolphin Nation, are honored and grateful for the heart, sweat, and blood you have poured into this team. Please, before you become a vegetable, retire and save the dignity and pride that every Dolphan has for you. Zach Thomas, Thank You.
Dolphins Nation
I hate seeing him on the sidelines knowing how much he could help the defense but would rather that than him getting seriously hurt. Sure miss him out there though. He has the skills and experience and if he has the mind set for it I'd love to see Zach move into a coaching position with Miami. It might add a good bit of discipline and heart our D sometimes lacks these days.
It's a good thing he will stay out. To risk furthering his problems over a wasted season is not a good idea. The man needs to rest up and come back next year with a passion. Not unlike his recent years, but a passion you get when youre away from something you love for so long. You cant wait to get back and wreak havoc on rb's and qb's.
I think you may have seen the last game of him in a fins uniform. I would be willing to bet he retires at the end of the year
He's not talking like a guy who's ready to hang it up......he said that he wanted to, and expected to return this year.
Maybe he has played his last game as a Phin...but I don't think that it will be because he walks away.
"burger13 wrote:
He's not talking like a guy who's ready to hang it up......he said that he wanted to, and expected to return this year.
Maybe he has played his last game as a Phin...but I don't think that it will be because he walks away.
IDK maybe. But I would think a guy like him if he were to be delt to another team or released anything like that I would guess he would just wanna Retire as a Phin
I hope he plays one more year and has a banner year.
It will also give Miami another year to figure out Crowder is NOT the man for MLB (gets caught up in trash, frequently gets beaten in coverage like a mule) and gives Miami another year before having to draft one as there are already a number of positions that need filling.