1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your video game compulsions

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Bruzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Seen this article on kotaku thought it would be cool to know your guys gaming compulsions. Whether its how you play a game or way you got them sorted in your house etc...

My compulsions are

1,) if my save file gets deleted on a game its very hard for me to want to play the game again.

2.) I can never be a bad guy on a game. If I have a choice I always go good. I can never be bad.

3.) I save a ton. Like oblivion I will save like ever 5 minutes if not sooner.

2. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Only a couple that I can think of right now.

1. Always forgeting to save game, then get pissed when I die or something. (No one to blame but myself)

2. For some reason I get to near complete on a game then shelve it for a couple of weeks with something new. Not sure why lol.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not that I can never be bad, but I am always good first.

I sort all my games alphabetically, and by system.

I tend to save every chance I can.

I always try and get every side quest before I beat a game completely.

Mini-games usually take up a lot of my time (like blitzball in FFX, or the card game in FFVIII)

4. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I have to get the game out of my system. If I get a new game, you can bet that all my free waking hours and half of my sleeping ones will be dedicated to that game. When I bought Fable TLC for PC recently, there was probably 8 of 72 hrs I slept, 24 of them I worked and the rest I spent on the game. Once I've played it through, the urge is gone- until the next game, that is! :scared: :evillaugh:

5. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I use to be that way with new games also but I am not anymore.

With the bad guy thing I just can't I feel guilty for some reason. Like the game characters have feelings lol.

6. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    :lol: Yeah, I kind feel the same way too. Like with KOTOR I and II, I just couldn't turn on the other characters in the game. So I took it out on all the other NPC's- if you were bad, you were dead. "Man face you, he is enemy. Enemy deserve no mahcy.....oooaooaoaaaaaaahhh! *HONK* :tongue2: "

7. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    lol exactly, I was definitely jedi the whole game never had any sith in me lol.

8. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    That's me up there for sure! My save file got deleted on Lost Planet, and I traded that game in just a couple of days later. Unless its a great game with a great story mode, I'm not doing it again.

For some reason I tend to play a new game to death until I get burned out, then I hardly ever touch said game again unless someone suggests we play it. Hence I try no to purchase games because of that reason.

I typically play games with autosave functions, so I do not have to concentrate on saving all the time.

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    - I never buy anything unless the game literally forces me to do it and I hate games for forcing me to do it because I love hoarding money for the sake of hording money. Keep your dumb ancient sword of the dragonslayer +1, silly merchant, I'm going to loot one in the next dungeon anyway and I'm richer than you, hah!

- I never bother disarming traps. Disarming traps is the antichrist. Total waste of time. So go ahead, stupid gamedesigner, and blast my party to kingdom come. I'd rather reload a dozen times to survive the trap than investing skills points in that pointless disarm trap skill that you only put in there to annoy people.

- I don't play games with weight limits. Never. Weight limits are even more silly and a lot more pointless than traps. I hate weight limits. They are the antichrist too.

- I steal. Really, it's quite a neurosis in games. I'm basically a virtual kleptomaniac. Every chance I get, I'll loot your house. And your neighbor's.

- I don't use magic. Magic is boring. It usually involves hours of memorizing spells (or even worse: buying them), inventing new ones, finding out what exactly they do and don't do, while I could hack those critters to pieces in seconds with my ancient sword of the dragonslayer +1 that I didn't buy from that silly merchant because I found it in the next dungeon anyway and I'm richer than him, hah!

Zeke0123 likes this.
  10. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Aside from #2, we are identical. If I get far in a game, then it just pisses me off if my file gets deleted or something. Obviously, this hasn't been a major issue with the PS3, but back on the PS2/Xbox when memory cards were necessary, it happened quite a few times. Like right now -- I'm not playing any next-gen games (CoD4 got bored to me), and I was going to free roam San Andreas for a bit until GTA IV. However, I can't find my memory card, and I'm not playing that game over for the 10th time just to open to map.
    :no:

And yes, I save games like crazy. In Madden or NBA 2k, I usually save the game after every roster move I make, much less every game I play. In games like GTA or Saints Row, I'll save the game for every cool car I lock up into my garage or something.

To contradict my last statement, I HATE the auto-save feature in games. :tantrum:

11. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    In GTA games... I find it VERY hard to do the missions. I always fin my self side tracked making chaos just to get into a ridiculous police chase.

12. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    lol I do that also, I will get in a cop chase and let it go on for ever.

13. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I do number 2 as well then I usually go back and finish it like its a chore..even if its just the last boss fight I wont finish...maybe because I know it will be over :D.