1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your top 5 war movies

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by USArmyFinFan, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    they haven't made the third movie yet... not sure if it will be made either, last i read about it. :sad:

Gettysburg was based on Michael Shaara's (sp?) book "The Killer Angels."

after his death, his son Jeff wrote the prequel book "Gods and Generals" which of course became the movie. it covered the events in the War Between the States leading up to the battle at Gettysburg, and centered on Confederate General Stonewall Jackson.

the final book, also written by Jeff Shaara, is entitled "The Last Full Measure" (taken from wording in Lincoln;s Gettysburg Address). at the time of the release of Gods and Generals, they had intended on making the third movie soon after, but it has yet to occur.

like the book, "The Last Full Measure" would focus on the rise of Ulysses S. Grant as commander of the Union forces and also on Union General Joshua Chamberlain, who was also featured in both previous movies. it would tell the sotry of the last two years of teh War through Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, Va., the anniversary of which was April 9th.

2. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008

me neither... "I'll take my stand in Dixie Land; to live and die in Dixie! Look away, look away..." :up:

also, i totally forgot the Patriot! loved that movie.

Gibson's character was based on two South Carolinians; "The Swamp Fox" Francis Marion and Thomas "the Game****" Sumter.

it was filmed largely here in the Charleston area, in part at the College of Charleston while i was finishing my degree in 1999-2000.

i got to watch them film the scenes where Heath Ledger signed up for the Continental Army and argued about it with Mel Gibson's character. was all going on during December final exams.

3. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

Fear no danger! Shun no labor!
    Lift up rifle, pike, and saber!
    To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!
    Shoulder pressing close to shoulder,
    Let the odds make each heart bolder!

How the South's great heart rejoices
    At your cannon's ringing voices!
    For faith betrayed and pledges broken,
    Wrongs inflicted, insults spoken,

YEA, I followed the filming pretty closely, anxiously awaiting the release. :up:

4. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

charlestonphan and Themole - You guys warm my heart and light my soul. "American by birth; Southern by the grace of God"

Themole likes this.
  5. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    OK This is difficult, but I'll try.

1) The Cruel Sea
    2) Gallipoli
    3) Glory
    4) The Dambusters
    5) Das Boot.

Honorable mention to Kelly's Heroes in the fiction category.

Am I the only one really disliked Saving Private Ryan? The first 15 minutes about the assault on Pont du Hoc is about the best 15 minutes I've ever seen filmed, but after that it's just a cowboys and indian film filled with the most predictable stereotypes and it gets a lot of military tactical details plain wrong.

6. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    :up: glad to hear it GFF

Themole likes this.
  7. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    Gallipolli was a good movie, good choice...

8. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    I was born only eighty three years after the war of northern aggression in Woodbine Ga., only few miles south of you. As a young boy, I remember doing some exploring in an old abandoned Masonic Lodge, and there draped over some sheet covered furniture was a moth eaten and tattered CSA uniform along with a battle flag and the U.S. flag.

There is something about that era that haunts me to this day. My Great, Great Grandmother Russell of Nahunta, died in 1962 at 102 years old. I remember her telling stories of lost brothers and uncles from the war. That war was still being discussed in Sloops Barber Shop by the old men when I would be there getting a haircut. Yep...it was a flat top. :lol:

The real South and its culture is a very sweet and Chivalrous society. I'm very proud to have those virtues instilled in me.

Here is the order of priorities; WWJD, WWRELD ?

Robert E Lee. was the quintessential Gentleman!

gafinfan likes this.
  9. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I hear you. I was raised in Macon and my Grandfather on my dad's side was born (1866) just after the war so when very young I remember stories about the hardships afterwards.

I have a saying from Robert E. Lee that I've carried along time in my billfold. A bit of advise he gave his son " Do your duty in all things; you can not do more and you should never do less."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  10. PHINman69

PHINman69 New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Nevada
    Saving Pvt. Ryan
    Full Metal Jacket
    Black Hawk Down
    we were soldiers
    Pearl Harbor

11. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I can give you at least 20 movies that should go here before Pearl Harbor.

Fin D likes this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Black Hawk Down
    Star Wars Episode V
    Star Wars Episode III
    Enemy at the Gates

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  13. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    My Uncle was in Vietnam. He was a pilot/mechanic on Huey chopppers. He made it back to the world, but not before his last squad blew up and he was the only one left alive wondering, "Why?"

I'd rather do the films he enjoyed to watch. From what I can remember, his favorites were,

1. Platoon

2. Full Metal Jacket

3. The Great Escape

4. The Bridge on the River Kwai

5. Apocalypse Now :smile:

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Saving Private Ryan
    Longest Day
    Objective Burma
    The Sea Chase
    They Were Expendable
    Dirty Dozen

15. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    Saving Private Ryan
    Band Of Brothers (series)
    Patton
    Letters from Iwojima
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Longest Day
    The Patriot

16. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    in no particular order but top 5:

1.saving private ryan

2.red dawn

3.uncommon valor

4.platoon

5.full metal jacket

my top five could change as i still have never seen apacolypse now nor do i know/remember some of the names of one's i've seen yr's ago.

17. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Have any of you Southern boys been to Andersonville? That is one of the most solemn and sad places to see.
    We've been there several times and each time it is almost soul wrenching to see and imagine what those men went through. All I could do was stand and look out over the cemetery and where the prison stood and cry.

18. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I watched a movie about it and have read about it but have not been there yet. I can't believe that prison warden allowed that stuff and dispicable living conditions to go on. No wonder they hung him.

dolphindebby likes this.