1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts on the guys the front office brought in this year.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbmonk, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I am looking for a glimmer of hope in these dark times. So I was thinking how did our front office fair so far with the guys they brought in. Feel free to make your own list and tell me who I have forgotten.

Good:
    Henne – Looks better than Beck ever has.
    Long – Playing relatively well from what I hear.
    Langford – Good as well.
    Bess – undrafted free agent, seems like a steal.
    Carpenter ( Kicker ) – another undrafted FA that looks like a steal.
    Pennington – Much better than Mcown ( which we got a draft pick for :) )
    Fasano – Great against the Jets.

Bad:
    Wilford – Pretty much a no show after two games.

I don't know:
    Donald Thomas – hurt too early to get a feel for how good he truly is.
    Shawn Murphy – didn't we draft him?
    Merling – anyone help me out on this?
    Ferguson – Good I guess?
    Grisby (the FB we released) – Was he playing badly or is Casey Cramer just better?
    Reggie Torbor - ?
    Akin Ayodele - ?
    Randy Starks – looked great in preseason.

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    One name you left out was Jayson Foster, a horrible disappointment. And Sean Ryan, who apparently was better than Justin Peele?

I dont see this as much about talent as I do cleaning house and bringing in system guys. Although that is probably the understatement of the century.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    McCown? We got a low pick for them, but Huizenga had to cough up some moolah as well.

4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The saving grace of this season is that fortunately our draft class has not had busts. Merling could probably take over Holliday's spot if necessary right now. Langford has been the best rookie. Henne looks real sharp. Long has avoided being a disappointment, starting at LT as a rookie is no easy chore but he's done fairly well.

Murphy looks like a future depth guy, Thomas will come back strong. The other picks were decent.

What disappoints me most is that Sparano has started to give up on turning our top draft picks around like Ginn Jr. and Allen. Those guys should be starting. I'm tired of this crap. Those guys are far better players than Camarillo/Bess and Crocker/Hill.

High Definition likes this.
  5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Still a little disappointed we could not get Quentin Groves but that wasn't a major ordeal for me.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Agreed.

I don't think they thought Ryan was better, I think they knew he was cheaper and thought it wouldn't be too much difference on the field.

7. mi2cents

mi2cents New Member

BAD......O.C. Henning very old school, un-imaginative, and playing scared.....IMHO

8. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Are you talking about a signing bonus? Didn't think about that. But to credit the front office the upgraded to Pennington when he became available. The money to Mcown was a sunk cost if you are speaking about the signing bonus.

9. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I agree. I wish we had keep Jason Garrett and made him our Off. coach.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    My thoughts:

Good:

Chad Henne – Good zip and velocity on the ball in the AZ game. The defense may have been in prevent but I still liked what I saw. Starter by mid-season imo.
    Jake Long – Struggled a little bit but he's a rookie and that's expected. He's been solid which is a positive. I think he'll be a good one, maybe not great but good.
    Kendall Langford – Like I said in my my writeup, he could be our Justin Tuck. He has been impressive since he first set foot on the Miami Dolphins field. Absolutely love him and I think he's going to be special.
    Davone Bess – Good pickup so far. Nice hands, runs good routes and is ninth in the league in KR's I believe.
    Dan Carpenter – Wasn't happy with the cut of Feely but he's making it go away by game. Still want to see him in crunch time though.
    Chad Pennington – May be the best QB on the team but probably not the best fit. Either way, it was a nice pickup for a guy like Henne to learn from. However, needs to learn to not throw into double coverages. Been doing it since '05, I figured he'd learn by now since he's a really smart guy. Its going to hurt us eventually.
    Anthony Fasano – Good pass-catching TE. Needs to be featured more into the gameplan. I don't recall any throws his way in the AZ game. A good pickup though. Thank you Jerry Jones.
    Donald Thomas – Was probably our second best linemen in the Jets game. Really a good steal here and is going to be a very good player in this league.
    Phillip Merling – Could be the starter at Defensive End next year. Also a possibility at OLB. Good pickup and steal after he fell to 32.
    Jason Ferguson – Very good pickup.
    Randy Starks – Starks is nice. May not deserve the money he was given in the off-season but is a nice player who can play inside and out.

Bad:

Wilford – I think he needs to see the field. He isn't great but I think he's better on Sunday's than in practice. I think same applies to Jason Allen who needs to see the field.
    Utilization of Ronnie Brown - Didn't bring him in and he's not the bad one but the coaches are in this situation. Looking at Henning's way again. You have to give this guy 20 touches as much as I love Ricky.
    Utilization of Ginn On Kickoffs - Point is that there is no utilization. Put him back there, Bess has done a nice job but Ginn can take it to the house as we witnessed last year.

Still Questions:

Shawn Murphy – The guy was taken in the fourth round, was the more experienced between him and Thomas. Many thought he would start but was completely killed in camp at both Guard spots. However, he could still be productive and its still early to call a rookie anything especially since the original starter went down.
    Boomer Grigsby – Grigsby could have stayed but Cramer may be the more suited player for our offense. I'm not quite sure about that yet.
    Reggie Torbor - Torbor, imo, should be starting. He looked good in preseason, he looked better than Ayodele and was even the starter in camp for a couple weeks. Out of the blue, Ayodele became the starter. I don't know how or why but he did and he needs to be replaced by Torbor. Only reason he's here is because I want to see him as a starter for the Dolphins. I liked what I saw in NY.
    Akin Ayodele - Serviceable backup Linebacker imo. I can understand the acquisition though, he wasn't great at Dallas but he wasn't terrible. He shouldn't be starting though.
    ¿Dan Henning? - Not a fan of the playcalling so far. A pitch on third and short? He's here because he could improve it.

Win/Lose:

Josh McCown - Payed him money but got a draft pick.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm don't think Foster and Ryan had any expectations to be honest. Foster was undrafted and was basically a fan-favorite. I didn't expect him to make this team. As for Ryan, never liked him and never will lol. He dropped some passes in pre-season and got hit in the head with a pass in TC according to a blogger (if that has any truth to it).

12. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    This team reminds me of an expansion team. Its kind of put together in the same fashion.
    I was pretty young when the Dolphins became an expansion team but I remember the expansion draft, I was living in West Palm Beach and my dad and I became instant fans.
    This team is similar in the way its put together with a mixture of a few veterans, young unproven players and rookies from the draft. If you look at it from that view point you can see that they haven't found their identity yet and the chemistry from the players hasn't developed yet.
    There is no proven players who is a team leader on this team although it appears Pennington is trying to fill that role. He hasn't put together a game to assert himself and prove to the players he is worthy however.
    I am not really upset at how they have played because I kind of expected them to stumble at first although I didn't expect them to be blown out by Arizona. I had resolved myself to this being a long drawn out major rebuilding process after years of inept player personnel decisions and bogus head coaches.

I know this is not what the original poster wanted but its how I view and feel about the whole situation. Is there players that are good surprises?, yes such as Langford, Henne, Carpenter and others. Are there players that are disappointments?, Of course there are, but I don't need to name them, we all know who they are.

I kind of feel that there were so many holes to fill that they brought in a number of players who are considered as temporary fixes until they can bring in the players that they want either through the draft, trades or free agency without strapping the salary cap. It will take time to complete an overhaul but at least its started but thats JMO.

13. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't believe I don't see Chris Crocker there? He has to be the worst move this regime has made so far.

alen1 likes this.
  14. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I get your point, and I think your right. But at the same time Crocker only signed a 1 year deal. So we haven't hitched our wagon to him so to speak. Sounds like he won't be around next year.

What about the guard Justin Smiley? We paid him a bit to come. How is he fairing?

15. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Very well put. That's exactly how I feel, especially the bold part.