1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your guess for the Dolphins next Head Coach...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 30, 2011.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Since Ross seems to always screw things up my guess is Norv Turner.

2. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Bowles or Nolan.

3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am sure the fans of all the other teams in the AFC East would also love to see one of these men named the HC of the Dolphins.

4. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I KNEW there was a reason I had not looked at this thread earlier.... Talk about your basic nightmare scenario!!

Ducken likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Shannon, Randy

6. [video=youtube;WO4tIrjBDkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk[/video]

We need Al Pacino!

MikeHoncho likes this.
  7. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    If we are going to crash and burn by firing our coach then lets crash and burn and begin with a solid foundation......drafting a franchise QB is key to that foundation. There is no guarantee that who comes in will feel that is our first need. At least with Bowles and Ireland we have some sort of direction

8. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Going by who I think will be the next coach..........And then going by what Ross has said he wants for the next coach to be.............It WONT be Fisher, Cowher, Shotty, Bowles, or Dungy because they are all on the conservative side on offense. Than leaves Gruden, Chip Kelly, The OTHER Gruden, and a few others that have been mentioned.

I am guessing it will be the OLDER Gruden, because of his O philosophy, but I wish it was his brother or Chip Kelly, not nec. in that order.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  9. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I am not so sure what kind of SOLID foundation a team has when they are 5-10 this season and 7-9, the two previous seasons. In fact I think this record of mediocrity is anything but a SOLID foundation. The only direction this team has taken with Ireland, Bowles , and the rest of this coaching staff, is straight to the bottom of the NFL.

Ross has stated that he wants a franchise QB for this organization. I just don't see Ross hiring a new HC who also does not feel that the biggest need on this team is the quarterback position. Ireland obviously has no idea what it takes to draft a franchise QB, since the only QB's he has drafted since he has been here are Henne, and Pat White. So thinking that he knows what he is doing when it comes to selecting a good QB in the draft, goes against everything he has shown as a GM so far.

Keeping Bowles as the HC and Ireland as the GM will serve no purpose but to prevent the Dolphins from actually establishing a solid foundation for the future. Hopefully Ross didn't fire Sparano just to replace him with another HC who will have to be replaced next year.

I judge Bowles based on his coaching of the secondary over the last four years. This unit has been very ordinary over this time period and I have not seen a major improvement in the play of the safeties or Sean Smith, with Bowles in charge of this unit. If he can't make significant improvement in the play of one unit on this team, why should anyone expect him to improve the overall play of the entire team, if he was named the head coach?

10. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I think Ross may feel some type of continuity would be good for the team and that they can turn the corner with minor changes.

11. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If that is truly the case, Ross needs to sell the team immediately to an owner who actually knows how to build a winning organization. If he continues with the group he has now running the organization, when they turn that corner, I fear they will be turning into a major head on collision. To go from 11-6 in 2008, to a record of 5-10 so far this season clearly shows that this team is headed in the wrong direction and major changes are needed to correct the many mistakes which have transpired over the last four years

Firing Ireland and getting rid of the present coaching staff is what is needed to get this team headed in the right direction. A new coach and GM can then start correcting all the player personnel errors made by the present regime. It may take two or three years for the new regime to get the right players here, but keeping Ireland and the present coaching staff will only delay this complete overhaul of the team, which is what is needed at this time.

finfansince72 likes this.
  12. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Why should we hire someone e based on the roster ? this roster stinks, should we really be basing our coaching search off of keeping a 5 win team intact?

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In this case, yes, simply because our issues are not at LT/Cb/De/C/Wr, Qb may be a toss up as to whether that is seen as the problem or not.

The real problem is, no one knows how to win, losses in the 4th Qtr by 2.2 pts?

Who will come in and show these dudes how to close? What it takes to win?

Adding roster pieces ups the talent level it doesn't teach them how to win.

14. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Can't remember who posted it, but someone said that hiring Billick as HC could open the door for Mike Mayock to be the next GM. If that is indeed true then I'll be more than happy to see Billick get the gig.

MAFishFan likes this.
  15. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yeah maybe we can tweak the roster and be 8-8.....this is not a championship roster. We need a ton of talent and a completely new philosophy this team is built to finish 3rd or 4th in the division. Wed be dumb to think a new coach will just turn this roster into a contender. This is probably what Ireland thinks and that's why he needs to go too.

jw3102 likes this.
  16. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I would give Todd Bowles a shot. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Gruden but I don't know what they are looking for.

17. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    We're not getting Gruden or Cowher as long Ireland is still around.

18. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Convenient. The hate for Jeff Ireland on here is to the point that you are going to take two guys who are reportedly not even interested in returning to coaching and try to spin it that he is the reason they do not want the job.

Regardless, I think the next head coach is going to be Brian Billick.

MAFishFan and gunn34 like this.
  19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Did you ever think that maybe they are not interested because Ireland is still the GM?

And I agree that Billick will be the next HC.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think the "smart tough discipline" stuff should be **** canned and "we've got playmakers" philosophy implemented.

Stats, imo, are not wildly applicable, what they can show is head to head comparisons and trends, when I look at this team and see "top 5 D, top 10 rushing the ball top 10 ST" and an offense that is 22nd with the same guys we've had for 2 yrs, it tells me job #1 is to improve the offense.

gunn34 and jw3102 like this.
  21. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'm leaning towards Fisher.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Hope- Biliilick, Mangini, Fisher.

Fear- A coordinator, or college coach.

padre31 likes this.
  23. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    As one of the harshest critics of Ireland on this forum, I don't HATE the man. I merely don't think he is very good at his job as the GM of the Dolphins. All I know is that if someone was hired to improve a company and the company continued to decline, year after year, that person wouldn't still have a job after four years on the job.

Ireland has been responsible for selecting the players on the team. The players Ireland has selected in the draft and signed in free agency have not improved the overall record of the Dolphins for the last three seasons. This season the Dolphins will finish the season with their worst record since their 1-15 season in 2007. Ireland was hired, along with Parcells, and Sparano, to build this team for the future. None of these three, including Ireland performed the job they were hired for in the first place.

Parcells decided to take his money and get out of town because he knew that the Dolphins were headed for disaster. Sparano was fired because he was not the head coach needed to turn this franchise around. Ireland has not provided the players this team needs to become a contender in the NFL. Ross now needs to show Ireland the door and go out and hire someone who actually knows how to select quality players for the Dolphins.

Just because I don't want him as the teams GM, doesn't mean I hate him personally. I hate the job he has done, but since I don't know him on a personal level, I certainly don't hate him as an individual. He may be a great guy, but he is a terrible GM. Not everyone is cut out to be a GM in the NFL and Ireland appears to be someone who was given a job he isn't qualified for. He certainly isn't the first person to get a job he shouldn't have received in the first place. In fact it not would surprise me if you looked up the term, "Peter Principle", and a picture of Jeff Ireland appeared next to the definition.

24. EZ 72

EZ 72 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Bill Belichick

MAFishFan likes this.
  25. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ross is going to hire who he hires. No coach is gonna come in here and within 1 week know what this team needs. The new regime will evaluate what is needed and go from there. If the evaluation of Moore is he is a decent QB then I can not see any head coach betting the farm right out of the gate on a QB. That's a good way to have another 4 years of Tony Sparano.

You can't take what Bowles has done the last 3 years and say he would not be a good head coach. He has had little to no say on personnel decisions or any other aspect during Sparano's tenure. This could be a totally different team under him. The only way to find out is to give him a year to put it together............there isn't anybody worth a damn out there anyway!!! He now is the acting head coach and who the hell know's what he will do. Throwing him to the curb is counter productive and sets this team back another 3 - 5 years. But hey I was 5 the last time they they won the superbowl so what is the difference. Incompetence runs a-muck in Miami...............nothing new

26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

The Parcells plan was a complete failure,and Bowles was part of this plan from the beginning. Giving Bowles another year to decide if he can turn this team around seems to me to be a complete waste of time. Ross needs to select a new coach and a new GM who can come in and implement their own system. I have certainly seen enough from the present GM and coaching staff to realize that I have no desire to see this team continue down the same path it has for the last four years.

I certainly don't see how bringing in a new head coach and GM would set this team back 3-5 years. It appears to me that keeping this regime in place this season has already set this team back several years. Bringing back Sparano and Ireland after last season was the reason the Dolphins did not draft a young QB in this years draft. Sparano's need to win now, meant that he was not willing to chance using a rookie QB during the season. Therefore the Dolphins were stuck with Henne as the starter, even though Sparano benched him at the end of last season.

If Bowles were given one year to see what he can do. He would certainly have no desire to develop a young QB in that one year. While Moore is a quality backup QB, he is not the type of QB who is going to lead this team to the playoffs. So keeping Bowles for one year would not only reduce the possibility of developing the teams future QB. It would also only delay the progress of the overall team for the future.

Ross has stated that he wants a high quality HC with experience and a franchise QB of the future. Keeping Bowles as the head coach after this season would not seem to meet the goals Ross has established for this team going forward.

Your statement that there are isn't anyone out there worth a damn, and that is why the Dolphins should retain Bowles, is just an absurd statement by you. I certainly feel there are numerous former HC's and present assistant coaches in the NFL who would be far superior selections for the head coaching position with the Dolphins. The only reason Bowles may end up with the job is that none of the better qualified candidates would want to work under Jeff Ireland. Of course, I can certainly understand why any highly qualified coach would be hesitant to work with Ireland. Bowles may end up being Ross's selection, only because no one else wants the job if Ireland is part of the package deal.

finfansince72 likes this.
  27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

The Parcells plan was a complete failure,and Bowles was part of this plan from the beginning. Giving Bowles another year to decide if he can turn this team around seems to me to be a complete waste of time. Ross needs to select a new coach and a new GM who can come in and implement their own system. I have certainly seen enough from the present GM and coaching staff to realize that I have no desire to see this team continue down the same path it has for the last four years.

I certainly don't see how bringing in a new head coach and GM would set this team back 3-5 years. It appears to me that keeping this regime in place this season has already set this team back several years. Bringing back Sparano and Ireland after last season was the reason the Dolphins did not draft a young QB in this years draft. Sparano's need to win now, meant that he was not willing to chance using a rookie QB during the season. Therefore the Dolphins were stuck with Henne as the starter, even though Sparano benched him at the end of last season.

If Bowles were given one year to see what he can do. He would certainly have no desire to develop a young QB in that one year. While Moore is a quality backup QB, he is not the type of QB who is going to lead this team to the playoffs. So keeping Bowles for one year would not only reduce the possibility of developing the teams future QB. It would also only delay the progress of the overall team for the future.

Ross has stated that he wants a high quality HC with experience and a franchise QB of the future. Keeping Bowles as the head coach after this season would not seem to meet the goals Ross has established for this team going forward.

28. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    No, because Jeff is a very good at evaluating talent and has done an overall good job with the draft. Plus, his one offseason without Parcells around was a bang up offseason. Just about every decision made this offseason was the right one.

They aren't interested because they aren't interested in returning to coaching, period.

2socks and gunn34 like this.
  29. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Actually, it isn't a complete failure. This team is clearly more talented than the team that was inherited by the group. The one thing that has handcuffed this team to this point is quarterback play until Matt Moore stepped in this year. That's the source of the issue with Jeff Ireland though, isn't it. You guys blame him for not getting a "franchise quarterback". Well, I got news for you. No other team since Jeff has been the GM has drafted a franchise quarterback.

Taking Jake Long over Matt Ryan was the right move. Taking Mike Pouncey was the right move. Both are Pro Bowl caliber players at their position. Matt Ryan isn't even a top 10 quarterback in the NFL.

This offseason is the best example of what Jeff is capable of as a GM. Almost every move he made this offseason worked out. He signed the best free agent quarterback of the offseason in Matt Moore. He traded for Reggie Bush, who has outperformed every free agent running back that was signed this offseason. Signing Kevin Burnett was a strong move.

30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    assuming Cowher and Gruden still want to wear panties and makeup, I've been Pimpin Jeff Fisher to be our coach, but the other two names I would be excited about would be Zimmer and Chip Kelly..

padre31 likes this.
  31. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You sure about that? Wow........

32. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Fisher.

33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The roster talent level does not stink. They have a +14 in net points this season while going 5-10 to this point. If a 5-10 team was devoid of talent their net points would be between -50 and -100. Or something thereabouts. Looking at the blown 4th qtr leads, this team just doesn't know how to win, which falls totally on the leadership. That being the head coach. When Don Shula came to Miami the turnaround was 3-10-1 to 10-4 that first season, with largely the same roster.

This team wasn't 5-10 because they are outclassed talent wise. This team is 5-10 because, even though he is a nice guy, Tony sucks as a head coach.
    He should buy a Pizza Hut franchise or something. That would suit him better.

gunn34 and Stringer Bell like this.
  34. unless a change in venue produces a new nd improved version of Fisher I rather not see him here. He is Tony Sporano with more experience.You guys that want Fisher here might as well stick it out with Tony. They are pretty similiar coaches. The biggest difference between the two is the divisions they play in. Fisher will get crushed in the AFC East just as badly as Tony did. Fisher is not the answer in Miami.

What Miami needs is new front office. WH deystroyed our franchise with who he surrounded himself with. Ross needs to fix things at the top. I dont know if its still widmyer at the top but whoever it is thats who needs to be replaced. Its not just our GM or our coach that a failure. Our entire staff is a bunch of meatballs. Our doctors suck. We have poor conditioning personel. Even our grounds crew sucks. Our problem is much deeper then just missing a franchise QB. A franchise QB would mask a lot of those deficencies but bottom line is the guy ontop is producing a piss poor product.

That is what Parcels was hired to fix and to some degree he did but more needs to be done. I dont want my team to be another indianappolis colts built around one player. I want a team that builds a foundation and keeps adding to it so we return to what we once were, perenial contenders.

Great front offices create great gm's and coaches and they create great great players. Imagine if marino got drafted by detroit instead of us. Marino would of probably had his career ruined because of that staff back then. He is a HOFer because he drafted be a HOF organazation.

RIP Joe Robie

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Last season the Dolphins were 7-9 and this season they are 5-10, so far. How you can look at this decrease in the teams overall record and conclude that Ireland has done a good job as this teams GM is beyond me. As I stated earlier, Moore is a good backup QB, but he is not the QB this team needs to take them to the playoffs. For fans happy with the Dolphins beating the other bad teams in the NFL, but losing to all the better teams, Moore is the answer.

Burnett was an okay signing in the off season but I don't think he was an upgrade over Crowder. In fact I think the Dolphins defense played so poorly early in the season because Burnett was not playing well at all.
    I will admit that Bush played much better this season then I thought he would, but even with his running, the Dolphins still had their worst season in the last four years.

If last off season is an example of the kind of job Ireland can do, he needs to be fired immediately. Instead of improving the Dolphins, his moves obviously were not the right moves because the Dolphins will win less games this season than they have since 2007 and they look like they are going to finish in last place in the AFC East.

Your basic argument that Ireland has taken two Pro Bowl caliber offensive linemen in the draft over the last four years really shows how weak Ireland is when it comes to the draft. Long was the very first pick in the 2008 draft and he should be an All Pro selection. Pouncey appears to be an effective run blocker but he still needs to prove he can be a consistent blocker on passing plays before he can be considered a legitimate Pro Bowl center.

The only other player Ireland has drafted who appears to be a higher quality player is Vontae Davis, and Davis still is not a consistent player, week to week.

The rest of players Ireland has drafted over the last four years is the reason the Dolphins are now one of the worst teams in the NFL. He has had far more misses in the draft and in free agency than he has good selections. The job of a teams GM is to provide talent which improves the overall play of the team from year to year. It is obvious based on the continuing decline in the Dolphins record over the last four years that Ireland is not performing his job at an acceptable level.

You state that this team is clearly more talented than the 1-15 team Ireland inherited. Well I think an untrained money could have picked names out of a hat and build a better team than the players on that 2007 roster. So improving a 1-15 team to a possible 5-11 team in four years really shouldn't be that difficult for even the worst GM in the league. I have said it numerous times on this forum and I will keep saying it until Ross finally sees the light, "Ireland must go immediately".

36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I could never understand the desire for people to continue the same thing over and over. Why bring in some coaching retread?? You state you've seen enough of this staff yet you want to bring in someone with almost as equally of a bad record (.542) and for a much longer period of time. Jeff Fisher's record is 142 - 120. Out of 17 seasons as a head coach he only had a winning record 6 times. His team won their division only 4 times out of 17 seasons. This is what some of you guys want to bring in here..............I'll take my chances with Bowles.

Sparano and Ireland didn't draft a QB last year because we had Henne. Remember the guy everyone was screaming to put in the game and let play because "he has all the tools". He could be the next Marino, bla bla bla. He needs more time to develop, and every other excuse in the book. Except no one thought for a second that a average back up like Matt Moore would come in and make Henne look ridiculous, and Daboll look like a genius. Henne just never quite got it. Is that coaching, or Chad Henne, who knows. I guess we will find out when he suits up for one of these other teams because we won't see him in a dolphin uniform again.

The Parcells plan was not a complete failure. We were 11-5 remember. Remember when we were envisioning superbowls and sugarplums dancing in our heads? Their was glee and some couldn't believe how easy it seemed that we were instantly respectable...............with a good QB (Chad Pennington). Who by the way is an average Qb and a hell of a nice guy. for what that's worth anyway.

Ah yes the birth of the wild kitty. Loved that time. For one year football was "ON" again in south florida and I was excited to watch the games. Especially the game we rolled out the wild cat and spanked New England's a$$. I can't remember feeling that good since the early 90's while watching the superbowl and hearing the phase "wide right...he missed it wide right" I was in a buffalo bar and saw the stunned look on all the Buffalo fans. Those people deserved that superbowl. The bar went instantly quiet and people were actually crying. That was a Parcells team too. I wouldn't call the Parcells plan a complete failure because we all got that one year of magic we all crave so badly.

I recognize changes are needed and a new direction is where we must go. But if getting rid of Bowles is going to be done just for the sake of making changes, and a .542 coaching retread named Jeff Fisher is hired as his replacement, I may just go back to watching reruns of that superbowl.........................................

gunn34 likes this.
  37. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Jeff.............is that you?????

38. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Hope for: Jon Gruden, Cowher, or Jay Gruden (he has done a great job as Cin O-coord)
    I would be OK with: Chip Kelly (doubt he leaves for NFL)
    Don't want: either Shotty, Bowles, Fisher

Go back thru the draft and tell me what franchise QB he had the chance of drafting. There wasn't one. He has done a good job with the draft overall. There are some things I don't like that he has done (White, multiple picks to get our RB last year), but overall he has improved this roster.

:up::up::up:

:up::up::up::up::up::up:

San Fran 49ers were saying exactly the same thing last year in all your points. The only thing they replaced was their Head Coach and look at them now.

Crowder was a joke of a LB. Burnett has made more plays in one game then CC made all year.

And you want us to keep Bowles? He's the man responsible for improving this player.

djphinfan likes this.
  39. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta

Have you ever given consideration that maybe, just maybe Davis will not improve, and is only coachable to a point. Davis is no different then any other player......sometimes it takes years to develop..................some players never develop

I think you have made a good point though. Sometimes all that is needed is a change of direction. We have a decent team, with decent talent..........now we need the orchestrator.

I am not saying we are done...................far from it, but there has been progress since 1-15. 80% of those players are no longer even on the rooster.

How did Don Shula become the coach he was...........someone gave him an opportunity. How did Tom Landry become the coach he was.............someone gave him an opportunity. How did Paul Bryant become the coach he was......................someone gave him an opportunity.

Is Todd Bowles that guy...................you will never know unless......................someone gives him an opportunity.

djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Those were great moves, but they have to be tempered somewhat by the absolutely awful move of signing Colombo, who Tony anointed the starter the first day he was in camp. Also some of his final cutdown moves seemed curious to me. Why keep a player like Ike Alama-Francis, only to have him inactive nearly every week, rather than a young developmental player like Quinton Spears? Overall though, I agree, he has done very well.

I don't know either that Ryan isn't top ten, like in the 8-10 range. I cannot come up with ten other names of QBs who have been overall better over the last 3-4 seasons or so.