1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite 5 current TV shows.

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by CrunchTime, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Agree about Mike-Rachel. Their relationship is flat out annoying. Wish Mike had a pair of balls and would've gone the other direction when he had the chance.

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    anyone watching Wayward Pines? To me, it started out with a "Lost" feel to it... but by the end of the first episode, they had revealed quite a bit.. maybe too much.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I thought about it when it was advertised during the last few episodes of Shield, but chose against it. Looked like it was going to go in silly directions.

4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'll give it a few episodes. Not as long as I gave the Following before I cancelled that one on my list. Speaking of the Following, wifey was watching it and supposedly this was the last season, is that true?

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, apparently they didn't know in filming/writing this last season :lol:

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Suits is still chuggin' along status quo in season 5. Not often I can say that about a show.
    At least once an episode they still do something to elicit a giddy out-loud "HAA" [in the dayum sense].

Getting ready to start 'Mr Robot' BTW. New show on USA. 9.4 IMDB rating and is supposedly on the path to being epic.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Just finished watching the last few episodes of Grimm. Man, they certainly decided to change things up heading into next season.

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Current Top 5

How It's Made
    Modern Marvels
    Food Factory
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Jimmy Kimmel Live

All-time 5

Seinfeld
    Arrested Development
    Mr. Wizard's World
    Modern Marvels

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Current top 5
    1. Mr Robot
    2. Suits
    3. Hannibal
    4. Halt and Catch Fire
    5. Rectify

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    We've got my oldest daughter (almost four) loving How It's Made. My wife and I have watched it for years, and have now made it an alternative to only watching kids programs before they go to bed. :up:

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Okay, this first vampire in The Strain is ridiculous with his wrinkly skin suit that looks more like a spandex unibody that's two sizes too big.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Outstanding wave of new shows this year in Mr Robot, Humans, Narcos, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones [brand new Netflix original].

14. Furious Yellow

Furious Yellow Mixed-Up Zombie

Nov 25, 2007
    Where something is rotten
    Also The man in the high castle just came out on amazon..

ToddPhin likes this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Thanks. Looks impressive. Definitely going on my watch list.

What about Ash vs Evil Dead [Starz] and The Last Kingdom [BBC]?

16. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I started to watch TV shows again and here are my current favorite shows .

1-Black Sails ......better than last year .Blackbeard makes an appearance.

2-Vikings ......another great start this season

3-Better Call Saul.......unusual start but riveting again.

4-NCIS

5-Last Week Tonight

What shows are you watching currently.

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The only current shows I'm watching are Agent Carter and New Girl. I'm catching up on Grimm from last fall on my DVR also. I also have the whole short season of Heroes Reborn saved and am doing the same with the X-Files, but I haven't watched an episode of either.

18. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Only shows I'm currently watching are

Better Call Saul (just started again)
    The People Vs O.J. Simpson

I haven't had much time to binge watch anything on Netflix or Amazon. Though I did start watching Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon. About 3 episodes in, pretty good.

19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Agent Carter - fun show
    Agents of Shield - I might give up on this one. definition of good but certainly not great.
    X-files - loving it
    Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Daredevil - still need to find time to get back and finish season 1

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Narcos
    IASIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, and my wife and I have been saying that Agents of Shield has gotten to where we consider it great. I think that its gotten consistantly better since it started, to the point where in the fall I was completely glued to the screen, and couldn't wait for the next episode. Really, really looking forward to it coming back soon.

Also will continue to watch Blindspot when it comes back next week, though its more of just a pretty good show and there's very little else on. And while I'm not one to watch a show because it features a beautiful woman, Jamie Alexander certainly is a bonus :up:

22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Two newer shows I have been watching every week and like are Younger and Shades of Blue.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It has gotten much better, but IMO the first season was a little lame. It had a lot of potential, but didn't develop much in the 1st season. Now, it's much better, but to be a great show, I think it has to take it up another 1/2 notch.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Everything that's been really good about Shield is because of the first season. If all of that wasn't set up the show would be terrible.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its a fair point. The show has been building since the very start to where they are. Its terrific that they've been given the ability to do that. After the first season, I'd hoped that they'd find their rythm/zone, and really start to click, and they have. The actors have grown into their characters, the writers have a clear plan and style, and I love where things are going.

Fin D likes this.
  26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Completely caught up on Grimm, and I've got to say that its almost there with Shield as my favorite current show now. It took the show a while, but they've really found their rhythm and focus. I've been feeling a "Buffy meets X Files" vibe from it this season, which is really cool.

27. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    1. Ray Donovan
    2. Gotham
    3. Game of Thrones
    4. Family Guy
    5. House of Lies

28. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I guess I am still a kid inside .
    My favorite shows are about Pirates,Vikings ,Zombies,Robots,Kings ,Knights and Castles .

My wife is on to something .I need to grow up :pointlol:

Current 5

1-Black Sails---Best show on TV .
    2-Vikings ....
    3.Walking dead
    4.Last week tonight
    5.Better Call Saul.......its dragging a bit.

Upcoming ,sure to make my list is
    GOT
    Fear the walking dead....spinoff
    MrRobot
    Homeland

29. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Okay, here's what I've been watching recently. I feel like I watch TV differently than a lot of you guys.

1. Daredevil: Straight to #1, and with a bullet (or 2). While there are some open plot holes, and I'm still not 100% onboard with his look, there's no denying that this is a powerful show and super easy to binge on. We finished it up on Monday, started it on Friday night. Overall an improvement from Season 1. In one of my posts from last year, I mentioned I thought the Punisher could come back in some form and be done well. I'm glad to say I was right.
    2. Flash: K*ind of on the opposite spectrum of Daredevil, we have the Flash. Season 2 hasn't been as strong as Season 1, as it's become a little bit formulaic. It's still the best of the CW shows (I've dropped Arrow and not looked back, and the first couple of Legends felt very uneven), but it's also clear that this show has a certain sort of shelf life as long as it's on CW.
    3. Brooklyn 99: This has emerged as my new go-to office comedy. Andre Braugher is probably my favorite character on the show, but the entire ensemble is strong. Another good comedy is New Girl, which probably gets cast as a chick show - but Megan Fox and her weird thumbs were on it for a few episodes earlier this year, and it was really good.
    4. The Americans: I'm cheating because I haven't watched the first episode of Season 4, but plan to tonight. My favorite show that it seems like no one else watches.
    5. House of Cards: We are 3 episodes away from finishing this season. It's been incredibly difficult for me to accept the scenarios of the show as plausible. Generally speaking, it's a well-acted, Fincher-esque pulp soap opera, but the ridiculous plot lines have really hurt the show. Season 4 is a huge improvement over Season 3 but the primary storyline still borders on ludicrous.

Recently Wrapped Up: Agent Carter, Ash vs. Evil Dead, Fargo, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Man in the High Castle, Mr. Robot. I recommend all of these. Standouts for me were Fargo and Mr. Robot.

Upcoming: Archer, Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Veep.

The Backlog: Not much, for a change. Most of these are currently out, we are just waiting until they are completely before we power thorugh them. My wife prefers to binge-watch. My list includes: 11.21.63, Agents of SHIELD, Black Sails, Halt and Catch Fire, iZombie, The Leftovers, True Detective, Better Call Saul, Walking Dead, and Vikings.

ToddPhin likes this.
  30. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Walking Dead is made for binge watching .Thats how I saw it .I kept convincing myself that I would never be interested in watching something about Zombies but before I knew it I ate the whole thing.

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I suppose there are different ways to binge. My wife and I will occasionally watch one episode of a show, three or four days a week, for a month or so. That's what we recently did with Grimm to catch up from the start of the season (Halloween - present). I don't think that I have it in me to sit and watch one show all day though, especially not having two small kids around. I did that years back with some shows on DVD though, watching 4 or 5 episodes on a Saturday or other day off.

32. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Not watching too much right now.

1. Better Call Saul
    2. Lucifer
    3. Family Guy
    4. South Park
    5. Big Bang Theory

CrunchTime likes this.
  33. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Gotham really hooked me in. I like that it is its own thing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wait so what exactly is Daredevil? Never watched it, but the mere mention of The Punisher piques my interest....

35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree. I love the darker Jim Gordon, the penguin in his infancy and of course the story of how Bruce Wayne became batman.

FinSane likes this.
  36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    1. The Flash - I love the Flash. It is everything I want in a super hero show. It is so much fun. Plus the characters are consistent.
    2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Turns out I have a soft spot for musical comedies. This show is right up my alley though. The combination of weird and surreal, funny and touching. Reminds me a lot of Scrubs. In fact, if you liked the musical episode of Scrubs, chances are you will love Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
    3. Daredevil - I just finished Season 2. I loved it. However I am a sucker for Daredevil. The Punisher was fun. I am not a huge fan of his character, because I do not like super heroes that kill. They are generally boring to me. However they did a great job in humanizing the Punisher into a very interesting character. Also there is something about seeing the Kingpin and Punisher on the screen together, with Elektra and Daredevil and the Hand, all on a quality TV Show/Movie that just makes my inner child squee in delight.
    4. Legends of Tomorrow - While not perfect, and has some really rushed storylines for drama sake, this show is so much fun. It is comic book goodness. It is a show that if I told me would exist after the Nolan Batman's and the terrible Man of Steel, I would have laughed at you. There is no way DC will make such a light hearted and fun show with such B-List characters. Well I was wrong. This show is so much fun.
    5. I can't decide between Arrow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Both are kind of dark right now and I tend to like my super heros light hearted and fun. Unless the writing is as good as The Dark Knight. However, Damian Dark on Arrow is such an amazing villain, even though.... What is happening to Ward is really interesting. However I am not a fan of the romantic drama on Arrow right now and the family stuff with Diggle is annoying. With Agents, I am kind of sick of Hunter, as he is a bad agent and Skye is just too militant and has so many opinions. Her powers are cool.

Just finished: Agent Carter - LOVED IT!
    Galavant - What can I say, I love silly musical comedies.

Probably will start again, but I don't know if I want to: Gotham - I do not like the show, but I love to watch it and hate it. I hate this show. It is so bad. The writing is terrible. The characters change on a whim. No one makes any sense. Gordon is hard to like. The villians are 60s Batman goofy but psychotic, the show has zero subtly and so many of their decisions make no sense. However the show is never boring. I have yet to watch an episode and be bored. So much happens. it is stupid stuff, however stuff happens. Constantly. I haven't picked it up after the break, however, chances are one weekend I will have nothing to do, then think, "Why don't I watch Gotham?" turn it on and be entertained while I complain the entire time.

Special Shout Out: Supergirl - Started out very O.K. and miss for me. However I had fun. I like that it was lighthearted. Some episodes were really good. Some were pretty not good. However the last 3 or 4 have been pretty good, with the last two I liked a lot. I am really excited to see the Flash crossover next week. They look so cute together!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I was like that with Gotham at first but I learned to just let it go and watch it, just be entertained. Accept that it is its own thing and the writers write the eps so things happen and they resolve things quickly so they dont write themselves into a convoluted jam. On Gotham, anything goes and nothing has to make sense. Its a show so bad its somehow good.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I can see how someone can enjoy it this way.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd never heard of Crazy Ex GF, but then again, I've also never watched the CW. I do love me some Scrubs though, so if thats a comparrison, I might have to check it out.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If it was the flash or shield or some other B list or lwoer property, then sure.

This is Batman's world and his rogue's gallery is the best ever and this show is ****ting all over that. That already happened with the Adam West Batman, we don't need it to happen again.

Vengeful Odin likes this.