Yahoo Ranks Defensive Lines

33 replies

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum VeteranOP
Jun 28, 2010, 03:46 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-dlinerankings062810

This is the intro.

The 3-4 defense has become so pervasive in the NFL that 15 teams will use it as either their base or line up in it a significant portion of the time. Another 10 teams can alternate between the 3-4 and 4-3 on a regular basis.

So what does that mean in terms of the defensive line rankings? Well, it obviously makes it harder because you’re comparing different personnel groupings. The line in a 3-4 is usually made up of space-eaters, not thoroughbreds. You don’t find many Jared Allens or Dwight Freeney’s(notes) playing on a 3-4 defense. The reason: Because they’re linebackers in that scheme, a la DeMarcus Ware(notes) in Dallas’ scheme.

This is what they say about the Phins.

26. Miami Dolphins: It’s three years into the Bill Parcells Project and the best the Dolphins have to show along the defensive line is Randy Starks(notes), Phillip Merling(notes), rookie Jared Odrick(notes) and reserve Kendall Langford(notes). There’s not one serious or potential playmaker in the bunch. Thus, even by 3-4 standards, this is the ultimate collection of plugger types.

I totally disagree with this statement. Randy Starks had 7 sacks and 56 tackles. He is already a serious playmaker. Also Odrick and Merling are at least potential playmakers.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Jun 28, 2010, 03:48 PM

Wow, what a joke. Our line is much better than they give us credit for.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jun 28, 2010, 03:57 PM

That rating is atrocious. It doesnt at all account for the fact that our DL was asked to play gaps not pass rush the past two years. Theyre basing it off of stats like sack totals. This is a top 10 unit both in terms of depth and quality.

Langford/McDaniel-Starks/Soliai/eventually Ferguson-Odrick/Merling...its at least 2 deep at every position. Theyre powerful, loaded with upside and going to be stout vs the run at a minimum.

Yahoo needs to stick to hosting fantasy sports...

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 04:00 PM

they seem to be putting Merling higher on the playmaking list than Langford. Says it all right there.

testing

dolfan7171dolfan7171New Member
Jun 28, 2010, 04:01 PM

I agree with you on that. We have more playmakers on this line that they realize. They will see it for themselves on game day!!

Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 05:14 PM

That came off as a very uninformed piece of writing. Our best two DEs were Starks and Langford. PFF rated Starks as the second best 3-4 DE in the league last year and they weren't the only ones who noticed as I heard Starks getting some kudos as the pro bowl votes were being cast. Langford was rated as the 7th best 3-4 DE and at a minimum will not be a reserve to Merling as the article implied. Those two were very solid starters and arguably a top 5 duo. In fact, there were only 4 other teams with at least two DEs rated among the top 15 on PFF (Merling was rated 15th).

Our NT play was a bit weak. IMO Fergy was among the bottom half of the starters in the league.

I thought Starks was just as effective last year when he moved inside as he was outside (maybe even more so). Soliai should continue to develop and at worst be a capable back-up until Fergy returns. And I think Langford, Merling and Odrick be the primary rotation at DE. IMO I would rate our D-line no lower than top 15 and I don't think it would be out of the question to rank them as high as 10th.

FEfelly smartsNew Member
Jun 28, 2010, 05:22 PM

Based on statistics they have hit the nail on the head. We have a horrible line until proven otherwise.

"I have two weapons...
...my arm
...my legs
.......and my brain."

Michael Vick

:sidelol:

ANAnonymousSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 05:34 PM

"felly smarts wrote:

Based on statistics they have hit the nail on the head. We have a horrible line until proven otherwise.

Our line has proven otherwise. It's a young, athletic, deep and talented defensive line that features two of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the league.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 05:36 PM

No love for Langford?

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

FEfelly smartsNew Member
Jun 28, 2010, 05:37 PM

"Ashraf wrote:

Our line has proven otherwise. It's a young, athletic, deep and talented defensive line that features two of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the league.

Please explain...

I honestly was not impressed at all last year by our line.

"I have two weapons...
...my arm
...my legs
.......and my brain."

Michael Vick

:sidelol:

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 05:40 PM

"felly smarts wrote:

Based on statistics they have hit the nail on the head. We have a horrible line until proven otherwise.

It is funny that you wrote that and in the post above it showed statistics that proved otherwise.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

FEfelly smartsNew Member
Jun 28, 2010, 05:43 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

It is funny that you wrote that and in the post above it showed statistics that proved otherwise.

I didn't consider that proof. I consider a huge lack in stopping the run on a consistant basis and the lack of pressure from the line proof.

"I have two weapons...
...my arm
...my legs
.......and my brain."

Michael Vick

:sidelol:

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 05:45 PM

lets just say the whole defense has a lot to prove..., I thought they were a bad unit last year, disgraceful at times....we got new blood so only seeing them play are we gonna know, projection is futile at this point..langford needs to make more plays, and Merling needs to go to hell and back...

our hope is that Misi and Odrick are the first ever teammates that become co def.rookies of the year.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 05:50 PM

"felly smarts wrote:

I didn't consider that proof. I consider a huge lack in stopping the run on a consistant basis and the lack of pressure from the line proof.

You do realize that football is a team sport and having a defensive end with 7 sacks is actually quite impressive in the 3-4.

Miami's problem last year was not its defensive line, it was the linebacker spot. Especially the inside linebackers. Crowder's injuries really cut down his effectiveness and Akin had a horrible year by any standards. Football is a team sport and if one part of the team breaks down then the entire defense suffers. However this does not mean that all parts of the defense were bad.

Looking at actual proof Miami's defensive line last year was pretty good. It was no where near the bottom half of the league.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

ANAnonymousSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 05:50 PM

"felly smarts wrote:

Please explain...

I honestly was not impressed at all last year by our line.

Rafeals post proved you wrong. Merling, Starks, and Langford were in the top 15. Starks was number 2 and Langford was number 7. And now we have a first round pick invested into our unit.

As far as the run game, it was a top 5 unit. Then, our starting NT suffered an injury which sidelined him for the season.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 05:52 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

lets just say the whole defense has a lot to prove..., I thought they were a bad unit last year, disgraceful at times....we got new blood so only seeing them play are we gonna know, projection is futile at this point..langford needs to make more plays, and Merling needs to go to hell and back...

our hope is that Misi and Odrick are the first ever teammates that become co def.rookies of the year.

The defensive line has nothing to prove, though. Like Dupree said, our linebackers were the problem, not our line. It's a top 10 unit.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 05:59 PM

"Ashraf wrote:

The defensive line has nothing to prove, though. Like Dupree said, our linebackers were the problem, not our line. It's a top 10 unit.

It is very least a top 20 unit. It also has 1 playmaker already and at least 2 potential playmakers in Merling and Odrick.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Jun 28, 2010, 06:07 PM

I think the hiring of Nolan will have a dramatic effect on where our D-Line ends up being ranked after this season, so all this is quite meaningless to me.

Enjoyed the intel and read though, thanks for the link.

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 06:18 PM

"Ashraf wrote:

The defensive line has nothing to prove, though. Like Dupree said, our linebackers were the problem, not our line. It's a top 10 unit.

Starks as a fulltime Nose, i think he has to prove he can hold the middle of the defense without wearing down during the game from double teams..

Merling...an inconsistent player who does not take care of his body like a pro athlete should..

Langford..not sure if his steady play last year was a good sign that he battled thru his 2nd season without having a sophmore slump, or it was indicative of his lack of playmaking ability..

Odrick...making a position change to play in space...

now don't get me wrong, I think they will be a better unit then last year, just because of the huge jump we took in improving the athleticism in the front 7....

I just can't convince myself to call them a top 10 unit at this point...

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jun 28, 2010, 06:20 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

It is very least a top 20 unit. It also has 1 playmaker already and at least 2 potential playmakers in Merling and Odrick.

top 20?...ok.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 06:32 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-dlinerankings062810

This is the intro.

This is what they say about the Phins.

I totally disagree with this statement. Randy Starks had 7 sacks and 56 tackles. He is already a serious playmaker. Also Odrick and Merling are at least potential playmakers.

how is langford a reserve?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 08:32 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

top 20?...ok.

I can see the argument for top 15 and top 10. There is no way it should be below 20th as the line wasn't one of the worst in the league.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

PHPhinatic425New Member
Jun 28, 2010, 09:01 PM

Why does Yahoo even do these ratings? I use yahoo for one reason...email.

That is why I can't take Yahoosports seriously.

It's Sunday Morning, Where the Phins at?

ALalen1New Member
Jun 28, 2010, 09:06 PM

I don't see how you can put Chicago that high, even with Julius Peppers. Peppers is lazy and always has been. Atlanta too? Tampa? I don't know about SF that high. KC? Jacksonville? Oakland? St. Louis?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 28, 2010, 09:09 PM

"Phinatic425 wrote:

Why does Yahoo even do these ratings? I use yahoo for one reason...email.

That is why I can't take Yahoosports seriously.

I do, email and fantasy football, there information is off the wall though.

I doubt anyone has considered that Randy Starks got into trouble during the offseason of 09, and played at a pro bowl level, perhaps Merling got himself in hot water and could/maybe/will respond in the same manner?