1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp 64 bit a good os?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by #1 fan, Jul 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    hey guys,

i'm using the normal xp now, but i'm looking to order some hardwear to upgrade my computer. since xp only works up to 3.25 mb of ram, i won't be able to use that anymore.

i'm not sure if i should go with vista. it's a resource hog and super annoying (reminds me a lot of norton).

i found out there's an xp 64 pro out there. i was thinking of using that as an OS. has anybody used it, or know how it compares to vista? or anybody have any other OS suggestions besides ubuntu?

thanks.

p.s.

i'll be getting 4 gigs ddr3 ram, an asus mobo and amd phenom x4 945 quad core processor

2. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    For what its worth.

I run 64-XP at work. I run EXTREMELY taxing software (Pro-E) and it runs very well.
    One downfall is there is limited software. One in particular that won't run on 64-bit XP is i-Tunes. (Disclaimer: I did find a site that talked about messing with the registry and codec's to make it work. I don't ever go that route.

In regards to Vista, I won't go that route EVAR, and I think the fact that Microscum is announcing free upgrades to Windows 7 for Vista owners is testimont to how lousy Vista truly is
    I think Norton is an acurate analogy for certain :up:

#1 fan likes this.
  4. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    What AZ said. Go XP

#1 fan likes this.
  5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Other besides Ubuntu =

http://www.distrowatch.com

If you're looking for most linux distro's that place has it and you can search for 64 architecture.

If it is home related I would do this. Linux can be stripped down to bare bones (arch linux comes to mind) and has a monolithic kernel system which is the reason behind the no defrag thing. the SUDO command will keep viruses from propogating on your computer becuase you'd have to manually give it permission to multiply..

oh.. it's free? :lol:

Unfortunately the video and audio capabilities of linux (read: PAIN IN THE ***) have windows much better for recording, movie editing, auto cad, etc. and from what I understand though haven't experienced Macs are the top of the line for that stuff..

You can run WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) but it doesn't really meet on par with 'doze.

#1 fan likes this.
  6. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Or just run Windows in Virtualbox and have the best of both worlds.

anlgp likes this.
  7. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    decided to go with vista. so far it's not as bad as I remember (maybe sp2 has something to do with this) but it does ask me all the time for permission to do simple tasks.

i'll admit it, if you have the resources available, i'm starting to like vista more than xp.