X Box 360 Pro dropping to $299

34 replies

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury BoxOP
Jul 8, 2008, 11:46 AM

Just in case all of those retailer circulars from Best Buy, KMart, et al, wasn't enough proof of an Xbox 360 price drop coming on Sunday, here's one more tidbit of proof.

A GameStop employee has sent us cell pics of the internal announcement for the coming Xbox 360 Pro price drop announcement. They also included pics of the shelf art all of which will go on display on July 13, the day before E3 kicks off with Microsoft's press conference.

So, while still not official, it seem pretty clear that come Sunday you'll be able to pick up an Xbox 360 Pro (aka Premium) for a penny shy of $300.

http://kotaku.com/5022926/gamestops-leaked-xbox-360-price-drop-info

MotionMotionNew Member
Jul 8, 2008, 11:49 AM

I saw this on G4 last week, meant to post it.

Good stuff

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 8, 2008, 11:57 AM

I wonder if the Elite and regular 360 will get a drop. I've been waiting to get a 360 when I saved up enough money after buying my PS3 and now it looks like it won't be long. Plus I wonder if this means a drop in price for the PS3 (seems like Microsoft is stopping Sony's momentum before it gets too far).

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Jul 8, 2008, 04:58 PM

I would think there would be a drop on all the different versions of the 360 but I could be wrong. I mean heck, if they didn't drop the arcade version there would only be like a $20 difference between the two right?

And you aren't the only person wondering if the PS3 will match the drop, common opinion seems to be no but only time will tell.

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Jul 8, 2008, 06:23 PM

thats good news for those who haven't bought one yet. A very very badly kept secret that it was coming though.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Jul 8, 2008, 07:02 PM

the pro's seem useless imo

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 8, 2008, 09:05 PM

"King Felix wrote:

the pro's seem useless imo

Are you sure your not talking about the Arcade Version (with no hard drive).

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Jul 9, 2008, 12:10 AM

"brandon27 wrote:

thats good news for those who haven't bought one yet. A very very badly kept secret that it was coming though.

With stuff like this I dont know if they really want to keep it a true secret or not. Let the word leak out and the hype build up so that people go out and grab it as soon as the price drops.

Its how I would do it at least, get as many people talking about it as possible for as long as possible.

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Jul 9, 2008, 01:44 AM

"King Felix wrote:

the pro's seem useless imo

And it's useless how? It has a 20 gig HDD and component cables. That's all you really need.

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Jul 9, 2008, 10:46 AM

"sking29 wrote:

Are you sure your not talking about the Arcade Version (with no hard drive).

Hey if I bought the 360 again I'd get the Arcade Version. I don't really need the hard drive since I'd only own 2 or 3 games max

:pointlol:

UltraUltraForum Veteran
Jul 9, 2008, 10:54 AM

I hope they drop the price of the Elite as well, I would consider getting the upgrade from my launch day one...

Phinz420Phinz420New Member
Jul 9, 2008, 11:25 AM

"SpurzN703 wrote:

Hey if I bought the 360 again I'd get the Arcade Version. I don't really need the hard drive since I'd only own 2 or 3 games max

:pointlol:

Except no online play with those games.

That's where having no HDD is painful.

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 03:52 PM

Well it appears that the PS3 isn't getting a price cut anytime soon (well from what we know now anyway).

Here is the link:
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3380.html

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Jul 10, 2008, 03:59 PM

"sking29 wrote:

Well it appears that the PS3 isn't getting a price cut anytime soon (well from what we know now anyway).

Here is the link:
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3380.html

I still think they aren't making money on the consoles, so it isn't really surprising. They are still selling well because they are one o the best BR players out there.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 04:43 PM

"Stitches wrote:

I still think they aren't making money on the consoles, so it isn't really surprising. They are still selling well because they are one o the best BR players out there.

I agree with both points. However you would think that since the Sony Gaming Division (I believe that's the name) is making money that they could stand to do a price cut but if they do it will because 360's are flying off the shelves after its price cut. Otherwise they won't and I'm sure if they are losing money on each PS3 that will also keep the prices up (but I thought I read they had cut costs due to new chips or something not sure though).

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Jul 10, 2008, 05:12 PM

Actually Sony says they are making money now on console sales.

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Jul 11, 2008, 11:13 AM

"Phinz420 wrote:

Except no online play with those games.

That's where having no HDD is painful.

I've never played online and have no interest in it so it's cool with me

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 12:25 PM

"Ultra wrote:

I hope they drop the price of the Elite as well, I would consider getting the upgrade from my launch day one...

No mod for the elite... Just fyi

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 12:44 PM

"mor911 wrote:

No mod for the elite... Just fyi

modding is wrong mor you know that, so why would one even consider doing such an evil thing. :wink2:

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 02:49 PM

Also its pretty much official now that Sony won't drop the PS3 price because its game division is still losing money although the losses are roughly half what they were last year at this point. Also the Xbox 360 Pro will be $299.

Here's the link:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193650.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Jul 11, 2008, 05:06 PM

"sking29 wrote:

Also its pretty much official now that Sony won't drop the PS3 price because its game division is still losing money although the losses are roughly half what they were last year at this point. Also the Xbox 360 Pro will be $299.

Here's the link:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193650.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

So will they drop the arcadde version too anyone think?

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 06:29 PM

Honestly I am wondering what will happen with the Arcade Version. It would only make sense to drop the price but what would make even more sense is to phase it out (because it would cost more to buy the arcade version then by a hard drive than to get the Pro (even if its later on because most people will want to get online or download things)). If they do keep the Arcade Version it should go down to at least 229.99 if not even less.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Jul 13, 2008, 01:35 PM

Damn. I wish I had known this yesterday. I just bought the XBox 360 Pro YESTERDAY!

Do you think they'd allow me to get a refund of the $50 if this is true?

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Jul 13, 2008, 05:01 PM

"rdhstlr23 wrote:

Damn. I wish I had known this yesterday. I just bought the XBox 360 Pro YESTERDAY!

Do you think they'd allow me to get a refund of the $50 if this is true?

Very cheap if they didn't.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2008, 05:13 PM

I see them dropping the price on the remaining Arcade versions to blow them out and the Pro will be the lowest end system.