1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRs don't make great draft investments

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Apr 5, 2010.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    As I said earlier, if Miami drafts Dez Bryant with the 12th pick of the draft, then they go into next season with Quentin Moses and Cameron Wake starting at outside linebacker, Paul Soliai starting at nose tackle, and Channing Crowder starting it inside linebacker. All of them will start, and that is the issue. The 12th pick is Miami's means of getting a defensive starter in this draft. If they wait, then they won't get a starter.

It absolutely astonishes me that some of you would rather have Quentin Moses starting at outside linebacker and Paul Soliai starting at nose tackle than go into the season with Brian Hartline and Davone Bess at wide receiver.

Killerphins likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why couldn't a 2nd or 3rd round pick start?

texanphinatic, OCDolfan and Anonymous like this.
  3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I know that seems like it is that easy but its not. What about the FS position and OLB. both of those postions have to be addressed along with a hopeful replacement for crowder who is pathetic. If you want to have a real defense that can consistently stop someone we will need to add if you want a mediocre defense that forces shootouts then your assessment looks fine :wink2:

Disnardo likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    We do have other picks, you know. Jason Worilds can be a Dolphin and lock down the SOLB position with our second round pick. Maybe Sean Weatherspoon or Daryl Washington fall. Cam Thomas will be available in the second or third round. Linval Joseph will be available in the fourth round.

There is a TON of talent at OLB, NT and ILB. Someone will be available for us with our second and third round picks. But you can't say the same for Wide Receivers. After Dez Bryant, there is no one who really suits us. We need a legit number 1, and he's the only one.

5. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Crowder is not going to be replaced. He will remain a Dolphin. And I have no problem with that. He's the banger in our defense. We need someone who can stuff the run, and that's him.

FS and OLB are major issues. We can target Nate Allen with our second and go after a prospect in the third to fill the SOLB position.

Also, don't rule out Dansby playing the sam on first and second downs, then switching inside on third down.

6. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    First of all, you don't need a so called number 1 receiver to have a good offense. All you need is a group of guys who get open and do their job without running their mouths.

Second, there isn't a ton of talent at OLB, NT, and ILB. Jason Worilds is a nice player, but he will be a situational pass rusher as a rookie as he needs to get better vs the run. Sean Weatherspoon cannot play in a 3-4 defense, period. He has never met a blocker that he could handle.

I am willing to accept getting back up players at NT and ILB who may start down the road if and only if Miami lands a starting OLB with their first round pick.

7. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Yes, you do. Our receivers are respected by no one. Add a number one receiver to this team, and we are a top 5 offense next year.

There is a ton of talent. I don't know how you don't see it. Jason Worilds will instantly start for this team at the sam.

8. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Then we won't stop anyone from running the football.

This would be my ultimatum to Jeff Ireland. If you take Dez Bryant at 12 and you do not field a top 15 defense THIS YEAR, you are fired.

9. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Actually, I can see us stopping the run pretty well. Last year, there was a significant drop off after Jason Ferguson left, but with Dansby in the middle next to Crowder, our run defense can be good. Also, Ferguson is coming back.

If I'm Ireland, I bring back JT. He can only help Miami as a situational pass rusher on passing downs, and maybe take over at the Sam if our rookie struggles.

10. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

[​IMG]

Deepest OLB/Hybrid Rusher class in years.

11. OCDolfan

OCDolfan a.k.a. LostInPatsLand Club Member

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    You think we need to replace Crowder?

12. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    And there it is.
    We can get a starting OLB without using our 1st RD pick.

13. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I tought Henne played as well as to be excpected..

The reason I mentioned these numbers were to show that like Henne this year the YPA has degressed, one of the reason why we did not have as many yards in the air like we did in 2008...

I do agree that we scored 23 points in the Indi game, played the game to a tee in ball control, but we had for the most part used a short passing game, like a passing game through out the year...

many are wishing for a #1 type WR that can stretch the field and get bigger chunks of yards on YAC...

14. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I would love to grab a WR but I think there is a bigger equation at hand. If we add a defensive secondary we will also add a championship. If we don't than we will not. I would love to grab Dez Bryant AND our secondary too but I don't think it's possible.

I also think that during the off season we will be working on different plays so our WR's will be able to get on the same page with Hene and his bullet arm. I just think the future looks so bright for this team its unreal.

What a tremendous amount of talent we are assembling with an owner that is just as eager to win as the front office. If we play this right we will be in the bowl in 2011. I have a very good feeling about this team.

Disnardo likes this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The offense played well enough to win 100% of the games until that Colts game.

I do think that Henne's YPA degressed, however I think that is because he didn't play as well. He didn't trust himself much and used a short passing game due to his being uncomfortable with being a starter. Plus he needs to improve his medium touch passes.

I would love for a #1 awesome type wide receiver, however I do believe that Henne can get above the 7.0 YPA with the current receivers that he has.

16. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Ferguson is coming back, but not until he serves an 8 game suspension. It's going to be tough for Karlos Dansby to make the kind of impact he should make when he is trying to cover his position as well as Channing Crowder's and Quentin Moses's positions.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Would you people please just turn those thumbs this way :up:?!?!?

...Ted Ginn is a Miami Dolphin!

18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    for now i agree he won't be replaced but expect the FO to draft an ILB to develop. i guess crowder is serviceable but i have no faith in him at all. the lack of awareness and structure in his game is just not there

with the need at FS and OLB i dont expect us to take mclain although the combo of dansby/mclain leaves me licking my chops

19. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008

What scheme for Wake a 4-3 defensive end?

Soliai faded at the end of the season...we were top 3 against the run and dropped to #18 ...Soliai was a "huge" part of that drop off.Hopefully he will become a much better player.

Crowder had one of the worst seasons for a Miami Dolphin inside linebacker in many years...hopefully he can improve.

Our starting corners were rookies and it showed as both gave up HUGE plays all season long.Smith showed no play making abilities with poor tackling to boot.Allen coming off major knee surgery..points to question marks
    Hopefully Allen returns to form/speed,and Smith becomes a play maker who can tackle and NOT give up so many huge plays.

Davis showed much more with his hitting,tackles,interceptions but still gave up way to many big plays.

I agree Outside linebackers /pass rush is a huge need without a pass rush our corners will continue to get burnt and give up huge plays

I also agree with free safety but would rather have Berry but Thomas would also be a great pick