1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wr situation to be addressed later in camp?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    How many of you believe the wr situation could be resolved later in camp during cut down times? I see rosters around the league that are deeper and will have to make painful cuts at wr (Giants and Packers as example). This roster is unsettled enough to add pieces late, as Ireland has a history of doing.

2. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Agree. Been sayin that too. A lot of good scraps to be had!

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If the Dolphins do address this position with a veteran then I think it would have to do with unhappiness with Chad "monster year" Johnson.

I really don't think they're going to want to fill more than 3 of the 5 receiver spots with veterans. They will want to develop some of the youngsters.

dolfan7171 and Mcduffie81 like this.
  4. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Nanee could be expendable I would imagine if a better option is available. There is always wiggle room for a good enough talent.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I said several months ago that they would pick up a vet to bolster their WR corps. It's Chad Johnson. he'll be a good #3 WR this year.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chad Johnson getting some love from former giants linebacker antonio Pierce, says he's his comeback player..

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I could see a developmental guy being an option but I have a hard time seeing a veteran who would be expected to contribute. Its tough to learn and offense that close to opening game and really get a rhythm with a QB who doesnt know you and you dont know how the ball comes out of their hands. Never been a fan of having expectations for those types of players and rarely does it work out as expected.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Some are theorizing James Jones is released by the Packers so they can try and develop some younger guys. He would be a guy that could contribute immediately, no?

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    James Jones, Brian Hartline, Chad Johnson, Devonne Bess, and 2 of the young guys, not too shabby

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure it's really necessary to roster four veterans like that plus two young guys. More efficient to do three veterans plus two young guys. Keep in mind, James Jones or no James Jones, this WRs unit isn't the one in Green Bay and we are inevitably going to use guys like Michael Egnew, Charles Clay, Reggie Bush and Lamar Miller split out as wide receivers. So why do you really need six wide receivers?

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    So what would be more likely: Johnson get's cut or Bess get's traded?

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I prefer we develop some of our young players ala Egnew/Lamar Miller and sprinkle in Chad/Bush/Clay/Nanee/Hartline/Bess as CK points out. Really want to see the Dolphins start developing our own draftee's/UDFA's for a change. I am not expecting this season to be huge anyway. We could go 9-7 but I don't see us doing better than that, which likely won't get us into the playoffs. So let's develop some young talent on the roster and see what's available in WR's at 2013 draft.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'd go with Johnson getting cut. Remember the guy is here on a one year veteran's minimum deal, but he's out there mouthing off as if he's a dominant player whose spot on the team is secure. I believe it just recently came out that Joe Philbin was indeed the driving force behind getting rid of Brandon Marshall, so I don't imagine he likes hearing all this Chad Johnson stuff about him finally being able to be him again, and how many fines he's going to get from the commish, how many rehearsed celebrations he's going to conduct after touchdowns (which will inevitably draw penalties no matter how much you try and be careful). I get this feeling that Chad Johnson thinks he's walked from the Patriots back to the Bengals...and doesn't realize that Jeff Ireland's instincts run very Patriot-like, as far as the "one voice" method goes. Just listen to Channing Crowder talk about his run-ins with Ireland. Chad gets a speech from Mike Sherman that he just wants Chad to think of the team first, and Chad takes that as like a blank check for him to be him again and do and say whatever he wants, talk about how many touchdowns he's going to score, how many celebrations he's going to have (and you know those celebrations are going to come during losing efforts at times, and come off looking selfish).

He's talking an awful lot for a man they warned has to "first, make the team". Some time down the line, maybe they're not all that impressed by what they're seeing in preseason, maybe James Jones gets cut by the Packers...they could just slide James right into this offense, he'll already know it...and then bam just like that, there goes Chad Johnson's "monster year".

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'm curious what we could get for Bess....I'm guessing a 4th at best?

15. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    The guys I am referring to that might be available are some of the younger players for the Packers and Giants. Particularily the Packers.

16. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    As I responded to CK, I am not necessarily saying the wrs to be had will be veterans. I use the Packers situation as an example. They have several young wrs and no real openings. I advocate for signing young talent.

17. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    To identify talent specifically, take the Packers. Borel, Gurley, Moss, and the rookie from Nebraska (forgot name) made impressions in mini camp. The Packers are already loaded. The Dolphins most certainly would monitor that situation given the offenses. The Giants have Jernigan, Hixon, and Barden fighting for maybe one of two spots. Hixon and Barden are slightly older at 27 and 26, but still talented. I expect Jernigan to make the roster, as well as Randall from LSU. This is my idea of finding talent.
    By contrast, the Patriots have several receivers on their roster, but most of them are at 30 or older. That would be looking at veteran help if you went that direction. If any of you can think of other teams with a wealth of talent please mention them.

18. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The Dolphins have young receivers that have made impressions early on as well. The trio of Roberto Wallace, Jeff Fuller, and Julius Pruitt have impressed in the early goings. IMO, if the competition is close, Miami should keep these three along with Hartline and Bess and dump Johnson and Naane.

The ones I haven't heard much on are Clyde Gates and Marlon Moore.

I suppose BJ Cunningham and Rishard Matthews could be solid practice squad candidates at the moment.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's hard not to take anything said about young, unproven wide receivers in OTAs with a grain of salt. Remember when Derrius Thompson (the dude we signed from Washington back in 2003) was just this ridiculously awesome force of nature in OTAs? Remember when J.R. Tolver was the same?

As for the Green Bay situation...I understand the temptation of going with young, unproven guys. It's like buying mystery boxes at auction. But James Jones had some pretty ridiculous efficiency numbers in 2011, and the worst you can say about him is that after years of holding Jordy Nelson at bay in the pecking order, he finally got outplayed and beaten on the depth chart by Nelson, who was one of the best WRs in the league this year.

In a new situation where he doesn't have a Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings in front of him, he could blossom significantly. He's got skills.

ssmiami and PhinGeneral like this.
  20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I like to call it the Brian Manning Award. Mostly because he was the first receiver I noticed who did that.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The Brian Manning/Charles Jordan/Nate Jacquet/Derrius Thompson/J.R. Tolver/Robert Baker/Brandon London award. Am I missing anyone?

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Kirby Dar Dar?

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Marlon Moore.

24. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Does Anthony Armstrong count?

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know that he was ever really an OTA/Mini Camp hero though. He made plays in training camp and preseason and at one point I openly suggested carrying him on roster over Ted Ginn. I still wish we did. He's been productive in Washington.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Haha. We'll accept it.

27. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Pre season hero, but he panned out (for Washington)! We should have kept him.

28. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Armstrong can't count. He's become a decent player.

29. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Nice to see Fuller picking it up and getting noticed today.

30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    so you think mike wallace is trade bait in pittsburgh, he apparently turned down a 5 year 50 million deal before they resigned Antonio Brown, probably way out of our price range given the fact that the compensation would be pretty steep as well, but the steelers already did it once with santonio holmes

31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    derek hagan ?