1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR Metrics

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think you can make the argument for 5 receivers going anywhere from the late 1st to early 2nd in their own right, with scheme fit and positional need [slot vs perimeter] being the ultimate determinant b/c they're all fairly different players for the most part.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The more I look at Kelvin Benjamin the more I don't know how he could be one of those guys in the 1st. I definitely see it with Odell Beckham more than Benjamin. Watching Benjamin produce sometimes is a bit like watching Roberto Wallace have his big game in the preseason against the Bucs' soft zone. There's a lot of production that comes about because of Jameis Winston's ability to hit his receivers in the soft spots between the zones. But otherwise Benjamin isn't creating a lot of separation, if any at all, when covered in man. He's really good at certain things because he's so much bigger and stronger than everyone was in college...but I see him as a role player that I probably wouldn't even think about until the 3rd round.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree with all this for the most part which is why I have trouble slotting him. He seems to possess some serious boom/bust potential, but b/c of the boom part I gotta put him in the mix with the other 4 even though he makes me apprehensive in doing so. I share the same concern about separation, and part of me is thinking, he's already roughly 235, has good length, and plays with a physical demeanor and likes to knock defenders around, so why not just promote him to keep growing like he is and turn him into a TE where he'd actually be fast for the position? It'd really be no different than Miami transitioning Egnew from what was essentially a huge slot receiver to a genuine Hback who after just one year developed into a decent blocker. Spend the first year teaching him the trade and allowing him to fill out while giving him some redzone packages [like the Lions did with Fauria- 7 TDs] and by year two or three you'd have yourself an impressive looking 250+ pound specimen who might very well rival the talent and ability of Julius Thomas, if not more.