1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR Marquise Goodwin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, apparently I whiffed on this guy all year. All I can say after the bowl game against Oregon St. is that he's smoking fast. Short but he looks powerfully built, pretty thick. His name wouldn't have crossed my lips prior to a few hours ago, but the initial impression is "wow". First impression is that he could provide some desperately needed speed and explosive ability to our anemic offense, in the slot and out wide. Also kick returning, for sure. Shame on me for not knowing a thing about this guy before tonight, but he is officially on my radar. Any input/comments are welcome, time to learn more about this kid. He has to be one of the fastest players I've seen in college football this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdsTm_dj2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNSSV1NukM

Some track ability, which never seems to hurt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjc573bMdkg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At7fzSxdiCg

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yup, and bonus points for the pirouet during thsat run at 2:00 of the clip
    And then right after at 2:08 in the same clip he rips off another jaw dropping TD. That is just pure speed.

As to his size, he's listed at 5-9 but the dude is thick, powerful and aggressive. Look at this mega block at :44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNSSV1NukM

And the presence of mind, awareness and foot placement at 1:15

I'm developing an instant liking to him as I did to Joe Adams last year. But based on the pure wheels and thick build I'm thinking Jacoby Ford as well.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Said in past, at times he reminds me of Antonio Brown.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Good call. The Steelers getting Wallace in rd 3 and Brown in rd 6 is evidence as to just how good they are at the draft game. I already want Goodwin on our team. Same size limitations as Bess, but all the explosion that we never got out of him. Imagine bringing in a talent like this for the slot, out wide and kick returns. He could turbo charge the offense, and maybe at a bargain price, I don't know.

Bpk likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Brown going in the sixth was ridiculous. Was so good at CMU.

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    His speed and highlight clips are compelling, as were his two big plays last night vs OSU, but a basic question remains- why hasn't Goodwin done more at Texas? I would think that a weapon like him would be used more, would have produced more. I'm wondering what his story is down there in Terxas

Bpk likes this.
  7. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    And with that comment, keep in mind that players who don't dominate in college typically do not come to the NFL and suddenly start to dominate.

Xeticus and Bpk like this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He hasn't fully focused on football and is raw. Has had some drops IIRC.

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    This is a stretch, but I was watching him on that fly pattern TD where he blew past the DB, the reverse 60 yard TD run and the video clips of his KO returns and I was thinking of Percy Harvin. A little shorter but similar thick builds and ludicrous speed. I still don;t think that most people realize how thick and muscular Harvin is, he's built like a tank, muscle on top of muscle.

I hear what you're saying, but the talent seems to be there, I'm wondering why he hasn't been used more in the last 4 years- injuries, drops, who knows. Maybe a Texas fan can shed some light- based on where Joe Adams and Jacoby Ford went I'm thinking 4th round for Goodwin and I'd be interested there. I can't help but think of him as a potential upgrade over Bess in terms of a guy who can be put in the slot and demand attention with his speed, out wide as a desperately needed deep threat and a KR who is a constant threat break a big return. Speed and big time athletic ability- just what the doctor ordered for this team and WR crew.

Bpk likes this.
  10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Type Of Wide Receiver The Cowboys Really Need

"I will leave you with two more prospects, and they are Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin and West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin. Goodwin is a track star and he is one of the fastest players in college football, and after watching this video, he reminds me a lot of Felix Jones."

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...he-cowboys-roster-2013-nfl-draft-wr-prospects

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    From Draft Countdown Tuesday North team Senior Bowl report:

"Everyone who sees Texas WR Marquise Goodwin in person comes away raving about his speed and it definitely lived up to the hype. In fact, even when jogging Goodwin seems to just glide across the turf. Goodwin appears to be more polished as a wideout than given credit for too. last year T.J Graham had a big week in Mobile and wound up being a third round pick. Don't be shocked if Goodwin follows in Graham's footsteps and ends up being selected much earlier than most expect."

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-122.php

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    One of the Draft Countdown guys said that Goodwin could go as high as the 2nd round after his Senior Bowl performances. Bummer.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm gonna call BS on that. Marquise Goodwin certainly helped himself but he's going to have to wait in line I think. There are a fair number of receivers ahead of him.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, what Shane Hallam said is 4th rd talent, could go as high as the 2nd rd. If Darrius Heyward Bey can go top ten, who knows. Then again, Al Davis isn't around any more. But I would basically agree with you, 2nd rd strikes me as unlikely. Then again, so are my plans to draft him in the 5th rd after he put on that show this week.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Darrius Heyward-Bey was 6'2" and 210 lbs with 4.25 speed. Goodwin has the speed but he's like 5'9" and 179 lbs.

More of a Jacoby Ford. Who went in the 4th round.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yeah, that's who I compared him to last month. Much similar sizes, stocky, muscular builds and blazing fast. The same 4th rd seems about right, might sneak into the 3rd after putting on a show this week.

ps Bey is a good example of how there's more to a quality WR than size and speed. I think that I liked Louis Murphy better than Bey and he was a 4th rounder iirc.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If he's going to go in the 3rd he needs to not disappoint in Indy.

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes! I'm thinking go for three. But don't forget Wilson, Dobson, Swope, Harper, Fuller. You're from the pacific Northwest iirc, what's your take on Marquess Wilson? Personally, I like him quite a bit.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Can't have them all and probably only about 1 in 5 of those is going to work out, so better start picking wisely. :)

21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yeah, but investigation be damned, Leach is a douche. I'd love to see us pick up Wilson in say the 4th rd. If we walked away with Patton, Wilson and Goodwin I'd be pretty happy. I still love Da'Rick Rogers as a prospect as well, most complete receiver out there imo.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    1. Cordarrelle Patterson, because of potential
    2. Might be Marquess Wilson, but that's only if the current ratings on Stedman Bailey are as ridiculously inaccurate as I think they are

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

http://www.nfldraftscout.com ranks him the 17th WR and a 4th rounder. That seems a little surprising considering they have Austin as the 4th WR and a 1-2 rounder. Is Austin that much better? I can't see it.

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin has some extremely compelling movement skills, major quicks and hesitation moves on top of some real speed. Goodwin seems like he's well on his way to proving that he belongs as well, more than just a speed demon. Both are very interesting players imo. In Goodwin I see a potential heir apparent for the slot and one heck of a kick returner, in both cases trumping a very reliable but limited Davonne Bess

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Austin does have some major jitterbug traits to go with his speed. I've no doubt he is deserving of his ranking, I just expect Goodwin may rise a little. IMO, for just raw speed, Goodwin is the faster of the two. It will be interesting to see how they run at the combine.

26. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008