1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR Greg Little

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    On Thursday, Little solidified his standing at the Tar Heels’ Pro Day workout. We’re told that he ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.49 to 4.53-second range. (If the track is viewed as a fast one, time will be added by scouts.) He also caught every ball thrown his way with the exception of a deep ball that, we’re told, was overthrown.

The word on Little remains that he’ll go on the second day of the draft, which for the second straight year will include rounds two and three.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lidifies-his-standing-as-second-day-prospect/

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    First round talent, seventh round attitude. Conclusion: third round pick. Maybe late 2nd.

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    7th round attitude? Where did you pull that from?

4. girthvader44

girthvader44 Prepare to Die....

Jul 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Charlie Casserly said he had the best hands in the draft. Worth a 4th round pick at that size, speed, and skill.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    me likey..he in my mockie..

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Reports of his Combine interviews.

7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Little drop to the 5th round. Or out of the draft completely. Even without the attitude, work ethic and suspension issues, he'd be a late 2nd/early 3rd development prospect. The guy's never met a route he didn't lazily cut off or a block he didn't like to give some half-arsed effort. He's the kind of guy some draftnicks get all giddy about because of pure athletic talent and a highlight reel on Youtube, and when he drops like a stone, they look for an explanation even though said explanation was already on tape for the whole world to see. He's also the kind of guy a team like Cincy tends to draft in the third round and groom as their next bust, so there's that possibility.

Striking likes this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ahhhh...... those "reports"----- you mean the isolated vague one by Tony Pauline? lol. I watched an interview and it was very good, and I'm not the only one who felt that way.
    You know what smoke screens and hidden agendas are right? lol. :tongue2:

Some teams saw this beast in person and fell in love. You notice how his name has been very quiet since the draft? Pauline saying he's a 4th round pick at best while NOT specifying anything other than "it was reported that Little was less than honest" means Greg will be drafted within the first 3 rounds.

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Little absolutely deserves to be drafted in the first three rounds on talent alone. Who’s denying that?

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Are you parroting this from someone else's post who knows nothing about this kid? lol. :tongue2:

"Attitude"? Not sure I agree here. Just curious---- Do you live near UNC and have first hand knowledge of this?

"work ethic issues"? :huh: Since when is MMA training sometimes 15 times a week for up to 3 hours a session considered "poor work ethic"?

"route he lazily cut off"? You do know that was his first year at WR right?
    Here's this from his Pro Day: http://draftbreakdown.com/north-carolina-pro-day-2011
    "half arsed effort blocking"? You mean like this one?

[video=youtube;noeDhCmouQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noeDhCmouQ4[/video]

Right..... because none of us have ever actually seen him play a live game. :001_rolleyes: The kid made a mistake (along with many others from his team). Local reports are that Greg seemed the most impressive and adamant out of all his teammates regarding owning up to his violation.

CBS's ProFootballTalk seems to disagree with you, too. lol.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/31/greg-little-solidifies-his-standing-as-second-day-prospect/

miamiron likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Now you're deflecting. I'd like to see any solid source on "disingenuous issues" during the combine etc?..... and you can add attitude problems and so forth to that list. He's an intelligent kid who doesn't come from a messed up childhood. There's nothing linking him to being a major character risk or rotten apple.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Now you’re just imagining things. I’m not pulling a KB here: Little isn’t an idiot. But I do put stock in the report of Little being less than honest at the Combine, because his interaction with an agent does raise a red flag for me.

The guy is still going to be a very good football player. On talent alone he’s a first rounder. But he’s not going to be taken in the first.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Kids make mistakes ALL the time. There are tons of NCAA athletes who take money, interact with agents etc but are/were never caught. Add in money and or gifts received from boosters, and you and I both know that number increases to virtually every major college. What they do after running into trouble is what matters most, and since his infraction he's busted his butt to get himself ready for the NFL.

You can put stock in what you like. That's your prerogative. However, there is no validity to this "less than honest" accusation. It came from 1 guy who said that this is what he heard from NFL teams. What "teams"? Show me some sources, Pauline. This is the kind of stuff that happens every year when teams find a guy they like. You could have 8 teams who want Greg in a bad way; what easier way to try and land him than to tell an SI reporter than he seemed "less than honest" in an effort to scare teams away from him?

Watch his interview and judge it for yourself. As far as I'm concerned, Greg went above and beyond in accepting responsibility and appearing genuine. He also came across extremely mature and level headed.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This is simply your opinion likely based on a predisposition to disbelieve Pauline. I don’t have that predisposition. As much as I dislike the NCAA, they suspended Little for a reason—whether you want to call it a mistake or not depends on your own biases. I call it stupid.

This all said, I would love to see Little in aqua and orange. But, a. we don’t have a glaring need at WR, and b. he’ll be gone long before our third round pick.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Fair enough.

I disbelieve Pauline bc she (I mean he) is the only one reporting this <without a source to boot>. I live 15 minutes from UNC and have never heard issues with him being the kind of person that Pauline is making him out to be.

I don't see how he can be so open and accepting of blame during one main interview and then all of a sudden be "less than honest" during these "so-called" other interviews. It doesn't add up, especially when a source isn't given.

As good as he was projected prior to his suspension, he's gonna be an even better player now b/c he is determined & motivated as heck to make something of himself and prove people wrong. Some people respond in a major way (positively) after a serious crisis, and everything I've seen from him since his suspension points to Greg being one of these "people". Sometimes a crisis (although negative in nature) can be a good thing.

I'd rather draft a kid who has endured a serious crisis (even if it's through fault of his own) and become a better, stronger, and more motivated person from it than draft a kid whom I have no idea how he'll respond to a difficult crisis. LeGarrette Blount was a perfect example of this.

[video=youtube;9tMLq_FMfQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tMLq_FMfQU[/video]

Especially notice the question posed to him at the 6:15 mark where Greg's given an opportunity to shift some of the blame away from himself onto UNC, but he doesn't. To me that showed a lot of class and maturity on his part. I liked this kid a lot as a Junior, and I like him even more now.

16. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I have a much more interesting question: Can you make an argument without trolling?

Mind you, I find the personal shots and the lols cute. They don't lend you any credibility whatsoever, but they are cute.

But let's take a look at how the sad saga of Todd trying to make a point commences:

No, but here's some food for thought: I also don't live near Fukushima and I happen to know that their nuclear power plant kinda exploded. Mindblowing, I know.

I guess it would be considered superiour work ethic for an MMA fighter. Remind me again: Do they draft MMA fighters into the NFL?

Yes, I do know. What I did not know until you enlightened me about it was that first year WRs are supposed to cut off the few routes they actually know how to run.

And here I was, thinking that a first year WR was supposed to learn the very basics of his position ...

I love how you will readily cite every amateur draft site that happens to fit your argument while ignoring reports from one of the most respected guys in the business because they do not.

It's doesn't make for a compelling argument, of course, but it's rather telling.

Ah, and here comes the mandatory Youtube highlight reel. The pinnacle of Internet non-arguments.

Oh, that's a new one. Citing Florio of all people to back up an argument. Not sure I've ever seen anyone pull this yet.

By the way, it's NBC's.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I didn't need to read what anyone said about Greg Little..as soon as I really studied him, I wanted him bad...This dude is 6'2 and a half ,231..and angry on the football field..I will sacrifice the speed thing for the beast thing.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Your entire post just said a whole lot of words without really saying anything at all. It was you who started with the personal jabs directed at ANY member who actually likes Little. Remember this comment?----> "He's the kind of guy some draftnicks get all giddy about because of pure athletic talent and a highlight reel on Youtube" That's a pretty arrogant & insulting statement, as if your opinion is the only one that matters, and anyone who likes Little CANT like him because they actually watched film on him or live 15 minutes from the UNC campus. I'm a Clemson fan, so any "you're just partial to UNC" attack wont work BTW.

Glad you're dealing with apples to apples here. I guess everyone on this site should refer to you for player assessment questions because you apparently know everything in a sport where virtually nothing is absolute. Would you care to tell us exactly what Gabbert will do in the NFL since you're as certain about players as you are a nuclear power plant exploding.

Work ethic is work ethic. But at least you're agreeing his is superior where as before it was a red flag. So now you've moved onto the subject of conditioning not having any significance in a modern day gladiator sport? I guess Walter Peyton and Jerry Rice's offseason routines had nothing to do with their NFL careers. They liked to run up and down hills for the fun of it I take it? You do understand how rigorous and intense MMA work outs are right?.... and that they can improve insignificant things like endurance, speed, explosion, core strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, discipline, and mental toughness? You don't like the "lol's" or "smilies" so I omitted one here.

gotchya. I totally agree, especially since he was so under-productive his first year as a WR. And apparently stuff like "progress" are meaningless to you, so it it doesn't matter that his route running looked improved at his pro day.

I love how you will knock a guy for using ANY references while you yourself use absolutely none. The guy I referenced from Draft Breakdown is Will Spencer. Now he might not be an elite scout like yourself, but he does play semi-pro football and has an understanding of the game. He's the founder of the site, has had articles published on the Ravens official website, is a member of the Football Writer's Association of America, and graduated from Sports Management Worldwide in "Scouting and General Manager". Now, I don't see this guy as "God", but I do trust his opinion when it comes to making a simple player observation during a Pro Day. I'm still waiting on ANY of your references. But I guess you don't need any b/c your assessment trumps amateurs like Will Spencer.

That's the best you can do? You said he can't block, so I simply showed you a clip of him blocking the s*** out of someone. Would it have been more concrete if I said "Nuh uh, he can block. I seen him do it"? However, you'd probably turn that around as well.

I see....... so it's ok for you to base part of your argument on an ambiguous statement by Pauline, but it's not ok for me to reference CBS's statement that the word on Little is he's going on the 2nd day? That's quite the double standard there. (There are many sites that feel Little is going in the 2nd-3rd round BTW).

For all the insulting you did, you've yet to make one valid point backing up your initial post. Just sayin.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Some people speak of him as if he's some lazy slacker hoodlum cancer of a player. Maybe there's another Greg Little out there that I don't know about. :shifty:

Bad apples don't get tattoos that read "Hustle- He uses strength to lift everyone". Someone gets a tattoo like that because it has tremendous personal meaning to them, and it helps serve as a constant reminder to hold himself to a high standard. That's a powerful statement, one that brings a lot of responsibility onto a person.

Good point Deej. He does play angry. There's a lot of fire, passion, and competitiveness to this kid. IMO we need more of that b/c our team seems to quit at times from my perspective. He reminds me a lot like Marshall and Boldin in that regard. He and Brandon together would be fun to watch.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hes got a mentality and a style of play that iam excited about, especially coming from that position, and we know hes got serious talent..Hes been my 3rd round pick, but iam afraid he wont be there.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm afraid of that too. Too many guys ahead of us who need a playmaking WR.