1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Snow

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Idahophin, Oct 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    Love to hunt. My wifes car was in the shop and I was the only one able to pick it up. They left on thursday morning and the car was ready until late friday. I plan on going up on monday. Where they are hunting it is two point only hunt. This limits your options.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    No udaho

:)

3. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I've never hunted an area that had a set size limit other that two point or bigger and such. has to be one heck of a challenge though, and tick ya off at the same time. sure would sux to watch a nice 5x4 or 4x4 and not be able to do a thing:cry:

4. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i want snow.

5. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I've had that happen. :cry:

6. calphin

what unit do you hunt? I had a chance to hunt near Challis Idaho a couple years back, just didn't know the area to well and declined the offer. is there quite a bit of public land, or do you hunt private property?

7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    i think im going to go on a road trip to see some snow this year. i havent seen snow since i went to colorado when i was 7. i hate having one season all year round.

8. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I put in for unit 55 in cassia county. It is in the southern part of the state, bordering Nevada and Utah. This is a draw hunt area.

If I don't draw I go on an open hunt in the Sublett area, still in Cassia county. Both hunt area's are about 40 minutes from my house.

Now that Challis area is wild country. If you don't know the area it is wise to scout the area before hand or hire a guide. I haven't hunted that area, but I have done a lot of fishing during the summer.

9. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I agree one season would suck.. If you like to ski it is great in the winter. Love to ski, so this snow isn't a bad deal for me. I would hate to be a farmer with crops in the field.

10. calphin

Is the Sublett area forked horn only, as well, or can you get the bigger ones? Is it a relatively easy area to hunt and get familiar with? Or would I need a guide or scout it out for a week or two before I hunted it?

When you said Challis is wild, what are you referring to, as compared to like Sublett? Are they basically the same terrain, or how is Challis different?

Sorry for all the questions, but Idaho is one state I really want to hunt, but I'm not familiar with it, and I don't want to hunt it blind,so to speak...

11. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    On the Sublett hunt it depends on the year. Last year was a special hunt for 4 point or better. This year is two point. Next year it will be closed. They do have a youth doe hunt, sometimes.

Sublett is rolling hills with grain farms around. There are a lot of logging roads so an ATV is nice to have.

Now Challis has a lot of wildness country with tall mountains. There is alot of country that has no acess except by horse or walk. Some great fishing in those alpine lakes.

Great hunting above Carey, Idaho. I usually go elk hunting above Carey. It has deer, elk, antelope and bear. They do have guided hunts above Carey. I went hunting there with a friend and learned the country. Another area that you need a horse or a good set of lungs, for walking.

12. calphin

In Carey for example, whats a typical day of hunting? How many bucks/does do you see in a typical day? Are there horn limits? Are there alot of people, is there alot of road access, or is it better by horse/quad? are there quad limitations?How 'bout the elk? Are you pretty successful with deer/elk there? Is it a hard area to hunt? or pretty easy? Being from out of state, just some things I'd need to know...

13. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    That is a hard question to answer, it varies from year to year. When elk hunting I always see a lot of nice bucks. More bucks than does, but that changes when the deer season opens. No limit on horns. Now the Little Wood area (Carey) has closed a lot of area to motorized vehicles. Unless you are in great shape you need a horse. If you choose to hunt alone and get an animal down, you can still hire someone with a horse to pack it out. Now hunting success I've had three cow permits and filled all three. It is a chance draw hunt area. I haven't ever hunted deer in that area, I hunt closer to home. It is an area you can hunt without a guide or scouting. If you are looking for a Trophy buck, Soda Springs is the best. I have never been there, but they put a lot of bucks in the Boone and Crocket.

calphin likes this.
  14. Idahophin

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    Geeze 15 inches of snow out my front door and still coming down. The weather man said 60 degrees tomorrow.

calphin likes this.