1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would Miami trade Jared Odrick? Armando would.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RoninFin4, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I found this while looking up some salary information on Rotoworld. Apparently Armando, in his "Dolphins In Depth" blog, floated the idea that HE would trade Jared Odrick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5844/jared-odrick - see the blurb about Odrick from Armando.

Given the recent comments we've heard from Kevin Coyle, I was just curious as to what everyone thinks the Dolphins would do. Would Jeff Ireland trade another of his 1st round draft picks for more picks? As much as he might not like to bite the bullet, I think it makes some sense to at least entertain the idea. But ONLY if Miami re-signs Randy Starks, in my opinion.

Discuss.

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If I thought we would get anything decent for him.

We won't though. He has been played out of position and not showcased his potential fully.

Ireland can;t take a 'loss' on trading another 1st for less than a 1st, I don't hink. (See Vontae Davis)

3. Bpk

The more I have dug into draft permutations to add a pass rusher to this team, the more I've realized that as long as Odrick is on the roster and played at DE, we are unlikely to invest in a great pass rusher with any high resource. this is compunded by Ireland having spent a 3rd on Vernon, whom he thinks is improving.

Unless we clear the space at DE, don't expect a new rusher to show up there. That means trading Odrick, or letting Starks walk. Personally, I'd like to trade Soliai and play Starks and a beefed-up Oddie in the middle (Kheeston Randall spelling him on some run downs)

4. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think that's an ideal scenario at all.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Armando would also sell his dog for a extra muffin at starbucks

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Salguero's basing this off of not particularly sound logic.

Stringer Bell and Silverphin like this.
  7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You can't imagine how surprised I am by this.

/sarcasm

SICK likes this.
  8. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I would. Were not using him at DT and he isn't much of a pass rusher. Good against the run but... Vernon is basically plays a similar role and is cheaper. Doubt we could get more than a 3rd for him but I'd do it. Draft is good with Dlinemen.

9. Bpk

Then get used to Odrick and Vernon at end being an ideal scenario. lol.

Because when we keep Starks, that's what is gonna happen.

Ireland will not invest even more high picks at a position that already has a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder splitting snaps.

10. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You're advocating Miami essentially play their nickel defensive line in base situations...

And, until Cameron Wake is gone, or injured, I don't foresee any scenario in which Odrick and Vernon are the starting DE's. Vernon is a developmental guy, and I think Ireland knows that and said as much when they drafted him last year. Did they overdraft him? Yeah, in my opinion they did, but I think they knew what they were getting. But, you've got to remember, Jeff Ireland pretty much every year says, "Don't be afraid to build on your strengths", so I wouldn't rule out drafting some form of pass-rusher early on.

Heck, he drafted Jared Odrick with Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, and Ryan Baker already on the roster. Just food for thought as Merling was essentially a 1st rounder (32nd overall pick) and Langford was a 3rd rounder in 2008. Two years later, and Jared Odrick is your 1st round pick.

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    we wouldn't get higher than a 5th.

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If it takes trading Odrick to keep Starks then I'd do it. I cannot see how it should though. Between Starks, Soliai and Odrick, Starks is the one I'd least want to lose.
    After 2013, Soliai is again a free agent. This is another reason why I think we should keep all 3 for this season.

Sceeto and Boik14 like this.
  13. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Tough call. He's versatile which makes him likely more valuable than any trade offer. I've advocated for it before, just to have me eat my words. I'd keep him around for one more year...

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nothing new.

That said, how many clipboard do you think we could get for Odrick?

15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Two, one to count our wasted first rounders and one for Vernon to color on while he develops...

dolfan32323 and LBsFinest like this.
  16. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Im in favor of trading him for a second round pick in theory, but the problem is that the cap hit if we cut or trade him is almost 3mil. Is that worth it, when he can be a cheap part of the DL rotation?

17. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    But they are using Odrick at defensive tackle. I'd be shocked if he isn't lining up more at tackle than end.

The real question is how problematic him lining up sometimes as an end wide of the tackle is. I don't think that's really that big an issue.

18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know why you think Odrick is a bad player?

19. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Fortunately, Armando is not employed by the Dolphins oganization. His opinion falls into the realm of everybody having one.

20. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Meh

21. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There's no "in theory" about it. If they were offered a 2nd round pick they'd take it immediately. He simply does not fit into the new defensive scheme that Croyle is attempting to run. Thanks to guys like BPK, Boomer and CK, I fully understand that now. I mean, personally I don't understand why we simply just don't play him at 4-3 DT, but there is obviously something I'm missing.

22. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm ok with Odrick at DE but let's face it, it's not an ideal scenario. He solid, just big for a 4/3 DE and not as fast an nimble as you'd like. Vernon is what he is- if he becomes a better pass rusher, great, but I'm not counting on it. IMO we need a pass rusher opposite Wake, bottom line. I'm still partial to Corey Lemonier to fill the Seattle Bruce Irvin role.

Maybe we sign a guy like Anthony Spencer, maybe we package Odrick in a trade for Percy Harvin, who knows. But Odrick is a solid player, albeit a 3/4 DE stuck in a 4/3. The solution I'm guessing is to get that edge rusher and bump Odrick in to DT on passing downs, resting Soilia and getting a better interior pass rusher in the game.

The other solution is to replace Odrick outright or bump him inside and let Starks walk, and I'm not partial to either of those solutions.

23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Sorry Ronin....you lost me at Armando....

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not that crazy to have an end like Odrick in a 4-3 defense, and I don't think you can cite the defense Kevin Coyle is trying to run. He's running basically the Bengal's defense, and Jonathan Fanene has been doing what they're asking for Odrick to do for a very long time.

I don't know why people are nearly as hung up on it as they are. He's basically a 3-4 DE who kicks out wide more often than most, and it's really not hurting his production as a pass rusher. His actual production- In terms of total snaps and what he's produced in it...aren't bad for a 3-4 DE. You could get an edge rusher and get more passing down production, but so what? Base defenses with single edge rushers are not at all rare.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just trying to generate some discussion, even if the root of the thread's idea is from Armando. Just an interesting thought, not that I'd do it, and even then, I'd only consider it if I had already re-signed Randy Starks if I were the GM. Just something different than talking about Jeff Ireland, Brian Hartline, or draft prospects this time of year.

26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    What are the recent comments from Kevin Coyle? I must have missed this

27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    He months ago said that he thought Jared Odrick's best position right now was defensive end, but didn't rule anything out. Somehow, that's turned into way more of a thing than you'd think about two months after it was said.

Stringer Bell and maynard like this.
  28. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    There's no real benefit in trading Odrick.

His value is low due to playing out of position.

His salary is very affordable.

Creates another hole.

I just don't see the point in trading Odrick for at best a 4th rounder

mroz likes this.
  29. dougb

dougb New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm not sure the Dolphins are willing to pay Starks 8 million a year, Odrick would seem safe in any case his money is right in line. I think the Dolphins will look at the d-line if they see a player slipping with there two 3rd round picks maybe earlier but he would need a very high grade. Fix the offense and grab a starting corner if possible.

30. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Trading Odrick wouldn't make much sense. We wouldn't get much at all for him.

31. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have to agree that the Dolphins would only get a fourth or fifth round pick for him. This only shows how overrated he was as a first round selection by the Dolphins. He has been a below average defensive lineman since he came into the NFL and the Dolphins should try to trade him while he still has at least a little value left.

32. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I dont think we could get a draft pick in the 2025 draft for him… :omg:

33. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I really dont get the hate for Odrick. I am guessing it is because he is an Ireland pick and ppl just want to justify in the minds how bad a GM Ireland is. I am not saying the Odrick is a great player but he is definitely an above average NFL player. I mean we have guys on this board that are willing to pay Starks 8Mil and dont even realize that Odrick actually put up better stats than Starks did last year. As a matter of fact Odrick has more tackles and sacks over the past two seasons than Starks (57/51 and 11/9 respectively).

So either Starksis not worth 8 Mil or Odrick is better then we give him credit for

smahtaz and MrClean like this.
  34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Odrick was picked while Parcells was on the payroll.

Big ten conference.

Team captain..

30 games started..

Prototype size for the position..

Who knows who dropped the hammer on the pick but it sounds like a Parcells kinda guy, I really don't know..we traded down and sh$!..finding accountability in this front office is an exercise in futility.

35. MrClean

Yes, let's just try to trade every player we could possibly get any draft pick for. :sad:
    Because you agree he could only bring a 4th or 5th shows he was overrated when he was drafted by Miami? Some really sound logic there. Not! His being below average is merely your opinion. Certainly it is not a fact.
    Last season, 62 DEs playing in the 4-3 played 25% or more of their team's snaps. Among them Odrick was in the top third in run defense. He was in the top half in sacks. He was in the top 15 in QB hits. He was in the top half in tackles, top third in batted passes and stops.
    Below average would be a player who was below the median in the majority of measurable categories. This looks like you are just finding another excuse to hate on the Dolphins and any decision Ireland makes. Granted he makes some head scratchers, but taking Odrick 28th overall was NOT a bad value.

bigbucks24 and ToddPhin like this.
  36. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well since I am sober today I think I shall say that Armando has no buisiness trying to run the dolphins he and the rest of theflorida media need to stop trying to select the draft picks and making trades because if you look at the roster you would think the mdia is making the personel moves .

seriously i would trade EGGNEW , Oderick Bess and Daniel Thomas for a 5th rd pic and a 7 th rd pick . well maybe I will have my first beer for the day. :flag:

37. MrClean

Yeah, he does. He plays the same sort of role that Carlos Dunlap plays in Cincy and Red Bryant plays in Sealth. He's not as productive as Dunlap but he is on a par at least with Bryant.

38. MrClean

He sure does like to drink that Falstaff beer...and chase it down with some of that Wild Turkey liquor. He drives a 1957 GMC pickup truck...with a gun rack...and a "Goat Ropers need love too" bumper sticker. :shifty:

39. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Also, what's interesting to me is the comments that he is being played out of position. Jared Odrick was drafted by Miami to play the 5 technique in the 3-4 front. With the change in defensive scheme from the previous season, Jared Odrick is playing the 5 technique in a 4 man over front. Does the fact that Cameron Wake now rushes from a three point stance from the 9 technique rather than a two point stance from the 9 technique really make Jared Odrick out of position as a 5 technique in the four man front?

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I think to get something close to decent value it would have to be either player for player or Odrick + draft pick for a better draft pick. Either way we'll still come up on the short end