With Ronnie hurt we need a Running Back

143 replies

Roman529Roman529New MemberOP
Nov 18, 2009, 11:10 PM

Our top priority in round one is still a linebacker....I think Rolando McClain is the consensus pick right now among most of the mock drafts I have seen. There also has been a lot of interest in acquiring a WR like Dez Bryant or Arrelious Ben. With Ronnie's injury, and the possibility of Ricky Williams retiring after the 2010 season, I think we should look for a RB in rounds 2-4.

Here are some possibilities:

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
Evan Royster, Penn State
Toby Gerhart, Stanford
Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State
Montario Hardesty, Tennessee
Noel Devine, WVU
Charles Scott, LSU
Joe McKnight, USC
DeMarco Murray (Jr.), Oklahoma
Chris Brown, Oklahoma
Brandon James, Florida

I think we should go with Noel Devine of West Virginia in Round Two, if he comes out, or Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech. :up:

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 18, 2009, 11:38 PM

Not sure why you only put (JR) by one of the players, but not the rest.

I would not be happy if we picked Devine either, especially in rd2.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 18, 2009, 11:59 PM

CJ Spiller anyone?

ANAnonymousSupporter
Nov 19, 2009, 12:42 AM

C.J Spiller would defenitely ignite this offense. He is so electric.

SSssmiamiForum Veteran
Nov 19, 2009, 03:33 AM

Ben Tate round 3 hopefully

Follow me @TheSlaughterBoy on Twitter

StoneCold3:16StoneCold3:16New Member
Nov 19, 2009, 05:51 AM

Le Garrett Blount Oregon, i know hes got issues but he`s an animal..

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Nov 19, 2009, 06:42 AM

If we dont resign Ronnie then Spiller in round 1 is a no brainer if hes available. Combining him with Ricky, and after '10 with Cobbs/Hilliard would make some excellent duos.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 06:58 AM

To me, the back that they'll consider in round 1 is Dwyer. If Brown is done, then that leaves Ricky. You draft Spiller and RW is gone in a year, then your power run game is in the hands of a 190lb runner who isn't brilliant between the tackles.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 07:09 AM

"Boomer wrote:

To me, the back that they'll consider in round 1 is Dwyer. If Brown is done, then that leaves Ricky. You draft Spiller and RW is gone in a year, then your power run game is in the hands of a 190lb runner who isn't brilliant between the tackles.

Depends how high are they on Hilliard? If they think Hilliard can be that powerback then more reason to pick Spiller?

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 07:51 AM

Hilliard has been on the roster for 27 games and he's still awaiting his first NFL carry. I think it's a stretch to think he's going to be the Allen Iversen.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 08:15 AM

I think a player like Montario Hardesty is an option as well.

I would remove both Oklahoma backs from that list, neither is the kind of player we will likely look for, and other than Peterson that school has produced scat backs over the last 10-12 years. Very unlikely IMHO.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 08:46 AM

I think Hardesty is a very limited back. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the Sooners.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 08:51 AM

"Boomer wrote:

To me, the back that they'll consider in round 1 is Dwyer. If Brown is done, then that leaves Ricky. You draft Spiller and RW is gone in a year, then your power run game is in the hands of a 190lb runner who isn't brilliant between the tackles.

Doesn't Dwyer run mostly sweeps and other plays to the outside Boom?

It should also be considered that Tuna did not like taking Runningbacks with high picks, it would not shock if we used a 3rd round pick on a Rb, it would surprise if we used a #1 pick on one.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 11:31 AM

I think the Parcells influence in terms of who we actually pick is a lot less than we think. Ireland is the boss in there; the picks show that. Dwyer busts it up inside as good as any back in the nation. Tech run that triple option attack but he is an NFL runner succeeding in a system that doesn't suit.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

PhinishLinePhinishLineSupporter
Nov 19, 2009, 12:19 PM

No RB for me in the 1st thanks. ILB/OLB/TE/WR please. Saftey only if we can get a stud.

Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Nov 19, 2009, 12:22 PM

i like Dwyer but he seems to be a reach in the 1st round. spiller seems like the only back to consider using a 1st rounder on. there are some value backs later in the draft we could consider. we should have ricky and cobbs next year and if the CBA doesnt go we should ronnie for another year so we could put it off for a year. plus you can usually get a rb in FA. I would be open to spiller in the 1st because of his playmaking ability and Dwyer in the 2nd because of his fit for our offense



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 12:23 PM

Tech usually uses Dwyer as the FB in the triple option (unless they've mixed it up recently). That's why his production has been up and down. Some defenses are clogging the middle trying to take him out of the game. He better declare this year for his leg's sake.
Posted via Mobile Device

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 12:28 PM

"Boomer wrote:

Hilliard has been on the roster for 27 games and he's still awaiting his first NFL carry. I think it's a stretch to think he's going to be the Allen Iversen.

A lot of good backs would be awaiting their first NFL carry playing behind Ronnie and Ricky. ;)

Lex could be the Steve Young of running backs for all we know. LOL

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

"Boomer wrote:

Hilliard has been on the roster for 27 games and he's still awaiting his first NFL carry. I think it's a stretch to think he's going to be the Allen Iversen.

Hilliard spent the entire 2008 season on the practice squad. It's tough to get an NFL carry from there but nice spin.

So you are saying Hilliard is no good because he hasn't played yet? That is absolute nonsense.

He will get his chance soon and he will make the haters eat their words.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 12:41 PM

What's the point in investing all this money in our Oline if a guy like Lex couldn't be successful running behind it? For $150 million, my grandma should be able to hobble through it.

Nov 19, 2009, 01:14 PM

I believe Dwyer is a strong option in the first round, but only if Spiller is off the board which, don't worry folks, he will be.

After that you're really looking at much later options. I really like Ben Tate a lot. I think he's a guy that will have to start getting traction as the draft process gets underway. If it comes to a late second round pick, I don't think that's a stretch of the imagination for him. If you're going to take a guy like Hardesty, I'm not sure why not just go for Gerhart. If you're already getting a guy that's limited you might as well get a cave troll that can plow through a mountain.

After that, pickings are pretty slim. I like Charles Scott, LeGarrett Blount, possibly Matt Asiata.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 01:42 PM

What about a guy like John Clay?

EDIT: Or another Sophomore in Mark Ingram perhaps?

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

RickyBobbyRickyBobbyNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 02:11 PM

Lex could be the Steve Young of running backs for all we know. LOL

well on big difference is that a league wasnt jumping all over Hillard to give him 40 million.

I think spiller is a one trick pony and that trick wont work in the nfl....he would just be a better ted ginn. I like Murray from OK and of coarse Dwyer bc of the resembilence to Ronnie But i would hole off till Ingram come out hes is a stud!

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 19, 2009, 02:24 PM

"RickyC wrote:

well on big difference is that a league wasnt jumping all over Hillard to give him 40 million.

I think spiller is a one trick pony and that trick wont work in the nfl....he would just be a better ted ginn. I like Murray from OK and of coarse Dwyer bc of the resembilence to Ronnie But i would hole off till Ingram come out hes is a stud!

See I disagree. I remember when Steve Slaton came out and people said he was another Reggie Bush who couldn't carry the load and only played well out of the spread.

Spiller reminds me alot of Slaton, only faster and a legit KR.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 19, 2009, 02:36 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

What about a guy like John Clay?

EDIT: Or another Sophomore in Mark Ingram perhaps?

Ingram isn't draft eligible, being that he is a true sophomore.

Clay is eligble but not likely to declare IMO.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU