1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by bberg, Aug 14, 2012.

1. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    Okay... I know I'm being a cheap bastard, but I was wondering if someone here had any ideas.

I live in a college owned house, but they don't provide internet. The cheapest package is $40/month and I'd rather not pay that.

I'm receiving 20% signal in the front room and not much in the back of the house. SO, I bought a repeater yesterday, and I can not get 20% in the whole house. However, I was wondering if there was anyway of making that 20% a higher percentage.

I don't know where the closest router is, but I have an idea. The repeater I bought doesn't have antennas to upgrade, but I could exchange it?

Maybe there is a better way of getting reception, please let me know.

PS: This is completely legal. I have the right to this network and it has a password system for students.

Thanks in advance?!

2. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Are you sure your repeater is working? Does your signal strength and ability to connect change when it's on vs when its off? I'm guessing it's the univeristies WAN that your trying to extend. You might want to call the IT dept and see what they have to say. You may need to do a wireless modem to a router and get local access off of that. There are many variables though, your best bet is to start with the IT dept. They'll be able (perphaps not willing) to tell you how they're setup, and will be able to suggest the best way for their network.

3. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    Yea it works. I connect to the repeater (has 5bars) but when you go into it's setup, it only see's 20% from my school. My repeater is full reception where as my school's access point is 2 bars near the front of my house and none in the back. As far as WAN, we're a small school, I've seen wireless routers in buildings.... so I'm not 100% sure. I'll give IT a call. Thanks!

Edit: Just got off the phone, they're going to see "if I'm covered" and might provide a router/switch. If I'm not covered "I'm not allowed to use non-approved switches/routers/repeaters."

Double Edit: Apparently, they use "G" Routers

4. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    In a slight bump reply... I just got off the phone with the "higher IT deparment" on campus. Apparently, the school's services detects repeaters(I don't see how they do) and somehow terminates their connections. So I'm thinking about an external adapter for my laptop. Ideas?