Wilkins in 1st Round!
109 replies
"Fin D wrote:
Ocala. Chili's.
You wore assless chaps I believe.........:tongue2:
LMAO...that thought scares even me....

Hearing multiple professionals even has him as low as a second round grade...at least one public site also

"my 2 cents wrote:
I had I had Aaron Donald as a top 3 guy that fell to 13... Wilkins is not in the same zip code as Aaron Donald....his first step
Is not special and his wow moments are in space. He does have good hands and keeps guys off his legs but he has no where near the ball awareness of Aaron Donald.... but the big area of difference is in pass rush skills and there is absolutely no comparison.
I said I wasn't comparing Donald and Wilkins and yet here we are reading you saying that I am comparing them. Thats called a straw man...
Anyhow, you're wrong about his pass rushing skills. He's an awesome pass rushing DT
"Den54 wrote:
Riveting and profound.
More???? Ok imho he is better on the nose and plays slower the further he is from center, has good hands but struggles to identify when there is trash .... plays well in space and is far better player in space, not near as “twitchy” as some say, has elite hands and is very inconsistent, and disappears when teams pay attention to him and chip him particularly inside.... I don’t think he translates well but will be a solid type guy, really good character, plays smart, and a guy you want in your locker room... really good pick at 25 and way over valued at 13.... better?

I think there is something profound happening on defense actually.
The defense is different than the offense in that the position groupings are more independent. What I mean by that, is the offense is run entirely by the QB. The QB is the unquestioned leader. On defense however, it's a different story. You have 3 groups, DL, LBs, Secondary. With the addition of Wilkins being added to Minkah and Raekwon, we now have 3 of the best defensive leaders to come out college in the past 3 years or so.
Not only are all three great leaders, but they are extremely smart too. If you assume that Flores is going to install an adaptable defense scheme, you need smart guys leading the units on the field. We have that now in all three sections.
"danmarino wrote:
I eay said I wasn't comparing Donald and Wilkins and yet here we are reading you saying that I am comparing them. Thats called a straw man...
Anyhow, you're wrong about his pass rushing skills. He's an awesome pass rushing DT
You referenced me comparing the two, I was just clearing up why I would pick one at 13 and not the other....in the end it is only our prediction of his productivity and the good part is we get to see how it turns hopefully. I don’t think I am wrong but I am used to being told that I am, as I heard how wrong I was and what a stud pass rusher Charles Harris was gonna be when I told people here he was easily defended by passive pass block schemes.I will say Wilkins is a relentless pass rusher... he works and does not give up on plays.... but he is not instant at all. Those saying he is twitchy are wrong imho.... but again we will see.... I could be wrong..........so could you.

"my 2 cents wrote:
You had an elite dt in Suh and he did not make an impact without parts around him....no difference with this jag. Lousy value. Ok player but terrible resource management.
IMO, Suh and Wilkins are totally different players and bring a totally different leadership style. I like Suh, he is smart and a very good player. However, he wasn't much of a leader. Wilkins is a foundational piece and is here to set an example of what it means to be a Dolphin (smart, tough, loves the game, team first player). He can also play all the positions along the DL and has the brains to learn them all and then some. He might not be able to handle the double teams like Suh, but I believe he will make more of a difference when it is all said and done. I love this pick.
Note: I wanted us to play it safe and draft an all around solid guy like we did last year with Minkah, and according to CK ( a guy a hell of a lot smarter than me) thinks Wilkins is that guy this year.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
IMO, Suh and Wilkins are totally different players and bring a totally different leadership style. I like Suh, he is smart and a very good player. However, he wasn't much of a leader. Wilkins is a foundational piece and is here to set an example of what it means to be a Dolphin (smart, tough, loves the game, team first player). He can also play all the positions along the DL and has the brains to learn them all and then some. He might not be able to handle the double teams like Suh, but I believe he will make more of a difference when it is all said and done.
That’s a fair analysis. I think we all agree that he is high character a good locker room guy versatile and has some elite skills. I don’t think he is a Guy that hurts you necessarily but We do disagree generally here on the impact of a dt and specifically how well his game translates and if he will have the impact that warrants the draft capital of pick 13. I don’t and other do which is fair debate imho.... too think this guy or any player coming out and translating to the nfl is a slam dunk all everything huge impact guy has been proven wrong with everyone from ryan Leaf to Tony Mandrich.

"my 2 cents wrote:
Still amateur hour......
Is it amateur hour because we didn't take a trade that you have no clue what it was? or was it amateur hour that NFL teams clearly value this, valueless position you speak of, and wanted to trade up and give up more draft capital to be able to take the guy we actually took.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"my 2 cents wrote:
That’s a fair analysis. I think we all agree that he is high character a good locker room guy versatile and has some elite skills. I don’t think he is a Guy that hurts you necessarily but We do disagree generally here on the impact of a dt and specifically how well his game translates and if he will have the impact that warrants the draft capital of pick 13. I don’t and other do which is fair debate imho.... too think this guy or any player coming out and translating to the nfl is a slam dunk all everything huge impact guy has been proven wrong with everyone from ryan Leaf to Tony Mandrich.
Simply looking at numbers from a far..
"well suh didnt make an impact because the defensive ranking was still the same, blah blah blah" is ridiculous.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"Nappy Roots wrote:
Is it amateur hour because we didn't take a trade that you have no clue what it was? or was it amateur hour that NFL teams clearly value this, valueless position you speak of, and wanted to trade up and give up more draft capital to be able to take the guy we actually took.
I do have a clue what the comp was and it involves 53 and 25. There is not that much difference between Wilkins and 25 and you get 53 and possibly 197. They fell in love with a player because of Marion Hobby’s recommendation and personal relationship Nd drafted Ted Ginn’s family again.... that is why it is amateur hour again.

"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
IMO, Suh and Wilkins are totally different players and bring a totally different leadership style. I like Suh, he is smart and a very good player. However, he wasn't much of a leader. Wilkins is a foundational piece and is here to set an example of what it means to be a Dolphin (smart, tough, loves the game, team first player). He can also play all the positions along the DL and has the brains to learn them all and then some. He might not be able to handle the double teams like Suh, but I believe he will make more of a difference when it is all said and done. I love this pick.
Note: I wanted us to play it safe and draft an all around solid guy like we did last year with Minkah, and according to CK ( a guy a hell of a lot smarter than me) thinks Wilkins is that guy this year.
Yeah CK told me how wrong I was about Larry English and Charles Harris also.

"my 2 cents wrote:
I do have a clue what the comp was and it involves 53 and 25. There is not that much difference between Wilkins and 25 and you get 53 and possibly 197. They fell in love with a player because of Marion Hobby’s recommendation and personal relationship Nd drafted Ted Ginn’s family again.... that is why it is amateur hour again.
Clearly you are blinded by the hate right now. You hate this pick because we passed on someone you wanted and you are throwing stuff out there that is ridiculous like youre throwing a tantrum. Its going to be okay dude...
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"my 2 cents wrote:
Didn’t you say this in another thread prior to the draft when I predicted Christian Wilkins as the likely pick....”I agree trading down will probably be the best option for us. In a deep draft like this having more picks could be more valuable than picking up a guy like Wilkins at 13.” Now he is Rosie Greer and Howie Long?
Yes if there was a good trade down offer on the table and we passed it up then it was a dumb move. More picks offers more value in a draft like this. However I don't know if they had any good trade down offers on the table, and Wilkins is the best pick they could have made there at 13 given what was on the board.
Multiple reports from the FO say they were talking trade downs but the deals fizzled out at the end.
"my 2 cents wrote:
You referenced me comparing the two, I was just clearing up why I would pick one at 13 and not the other....in the end it is only our prediction of his productivity and the good part is we get to see how it turns hopefully. I don’t think I am wrong but I am used to being told that I am, as I heard how wrong I was and what a stud pass rusher Charles Harris was gonna be when I told people here he was easily defended by passive pass block schemes.I will say Wilkins is a relentless pass rusher... he works and does not give up on plays.... but he is not instant at all. Those saying he is twitchy are wrong imho.... but again we will see.... I could be wrong..........so could you.
I was the biggest basher of the Charles harris pick on this board when we picked him. I knew he would be a bust, a one trick pony who had only limited success against weak competition in college. He disappeared anytime he faced a decent tackle in college and I knew he would have a hard time being successful against NFL tackles.
With Wilkins though it's a totally different assessment. He has faced the toughest competition possible in college football and has passed the test with flying colors on repeated occasions. Highly productive and versatile player to go along with high character and work ethic. Again I had him rated as the second best DT behind quinten Williams, definitely a top 20 pick. Charles harris on the other hand I gave him a 4th round grade back in the 2017 draft.
"my 2 cents wrote:
Yeah CK told me how wrong I was about Larry English and Charles Harris also.
Even guys in the business like Grier miss on players so, for me it's not about someone being right or wrong. I am sure everyone wants to be right all the time, but we know that's not going to happen. I accept that. Player evaluations aren't mutually exclusive, so missing on one player doesn't mean someone can't be right about another. I am sure they are always trying to improve on their evaluation process. Do you disagree on Wilkins being a safe pick in a mold similar to Minkah?
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
Even guys in the business like Grier miss on players so, for me it's not about someone being right or wrong. I am sure everyone wants to be right all the time, but we know that's not going to happen. I accept that. Player evaluations aren't mutually exclusive, so missing on one player doesn't mean someone can't be right about another. I am sure they are always trying to improve on their evaluation process. Do you disagree on Wilkins being a safe pick in a mold similar to Minkah?
I think he has a much higher floor inside than outside. I think he has a much lower floor outside. So in that way he is somewhat "safer"..and his versatility brings value. He is not a bad scheme fit nor IMHO is he a high bust potential...he just is not IMHO anyway anywhere near great or even good value for pick 13.

"hitman8 wrote:
I was the biggest basher of the Charles harris pick on this board when we picked him. I knew he would be a bust, a one trick pony who had only limited success against weak competition in college. He disappeared anytime he faced a decent tackle in college and I knew he would have a hard time being successful against NFL tackles.
With Wilkins though it's a totally different assessment. He has faced the toughest competition possible in college football and has passed the test with flying colors on repeated occasions. Highly productive and versatile player to go along with high character and work ethic. Again I had him rated as the second best DT behind quinten Williams, definitely a top 20 pick. Charles harris on the other hand I gave him a 4th round grade back in the 2017 draft.
That is why this is "fun". We can agree sometimes and disagree sometimes. You seem like you have an informed opinion and I believe mine is informed...we just project the transition differently and see his game a little differently...kudo's on Harris as we both saw that one coming.

"hitman8 wrote:
Yes if there was a good trade down offer on the table and we passed it up then it was a dumb move. More picks offers more value in a draft like this. However I don't know if they had any good trade down offers on the table, and Wilkins is the best pick they could have made there at 13 given what was on the board.
Multiple reports from the FO say they were talking trade downs but the deals fizzled out at the end.
I talked to someone in the know very early today and they speculated that it was 25, 53, and 197 for 13. a little bit of an over pay by Philadelphia but not a fleecing for sure...pretty fair deal.....I think the likely scenario is that Marion Hobby got his way because of a personal relationship (like nepotism always works out well, not saying this is technical nepotism). I have heard through the grapevine that Grier can be led to water.

As an aside.....and just an FYI...don't call NFL guys early the morning after round 1 no matter how many cocktails you have shared together in your life or how good of friends you THINK you may be..................

I'll be honest, last night I did want us to take Haskins, but I am more than happy with the Wilkins selection. Granted i might have gone for Burns or Sweat had i been choosing my preferred DL prospect, but there's no denying that Wilkins is talented piece to help rebuild our DL.
So in true Leronte Caroo Mike Tannenbaum style...Christian Wilkins has to be better than Marquise Brown, whomever goes at 53, and whomever goes at 197...that is your scale and apparently what Miami turned down.

"my 2 cents wrote:
As an aside.....and just an FYI...don't call NFL guys early the morning after round 1 no matter how many cocktails you have shared together in your life or how good of friends you THINK you may be..................
You facetimed with those same assess chaps, didn't you?
I tried to tell you......
