1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcat? or No Wildcat?....That is the question!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 7, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Now that we have seen the offense without the Wildcat, should we discontinue the Wildcat or should we find some way to mix the two offenses together?

I personally believe they should mix it. Not as much as before, but they should add it every now and then. I believe it will be more explosive of an offense that way. Imagine next year with better receivers and the Wildcat being explosive could make the offense be like?

What do you guys think?

2. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    right now, a WC without RB is not serious threat ... it needs to go away for the rest of this season. Take PW off the active roster ... he is NVA (no value added) at this point.

WC is only effective if it is a threat ... right now - it doesn't make anyone nervous

Rick 1966, gunn34 and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Wild Cat - Ronnie Brown = stick with the base offense.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It really is just not as effective as when Ronnie was here. With Ricky coming in motion, there was always that dual-threat, like "Where's the ball going?".

As much as I like Ricky, I think he is just not as effective. Inside the 5-yard line in Red Zone situations, it's damned effective. But right now, it's just not the same, especially with the injuries to Miami's O-line.

Miami should continue to use it, especially in 2nd and short situations just to let teams know it's still there, but I have no problem with Henne throwing the ball 25-20 times a game.

As I said before, Henne looks poised in the pocket. There were several times yesterday where I thought he would get sacked and he got rid of the ball to make a good play. What I would like to see from Henne, though, is for him to learn how to make those short passes. He does not need to zip it so quickly, and he needs to learn how to throw with a better trajectory. His release point is also questionable. His balls are getting batted down too many times, and with his velocity, I think that there will inevitably come a time where the ball goes 20 feet in the air for a defensive player to intercept it.

All-in-all, I think Miami should continue to use it, but sparsely, at least until the O-line is back in order.

gunn34 and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. Delfin Alejandro

Delfin Alejandro Premier League Champs

Dec 12, 2008
    I think adding this "Traditional offense" to the Wildcat is a win win. I posted in a prior thread that it would bring the surprise back in to our offense. Its funny the past 2 season (and I do not know my stats by heart) I would like to think that the first part of the seasons the Wildcat worked great. Then after a few games it kind of goes and fades a bit or maybe a lot. I feel it's due to the surprise factor disappearing. The other side knows whats coming.

What happened yesterday is the opposite, the Pats where maybe expecting a greater amount of running plays and they did not get that. We "surprised" them and it worked.

I can be completely wrong but it sounds good and plays out fine in my mind :up:

Stringer Bell and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Heres the thing we need teams to think we will run the wildcat, that way they need to dedicate time to practice against it. Remember New England was the team to first taste the wild cat and it beat them, now all these games later we beat New England without running a wildcat play once. So it forces the other team to prepare in more than one way.

Delfin Alejandro and dolfan7171 like this.
  7. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    Ricky taking the direct snap and RUNNING ONLY, I'm ok with a few times a game. No more Pat White and no more HB pass please.

dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The wildcat should of died the moment ronnie limped off the field, it takes a special player to execute that formation from a to z.

Unfortuanately henning did'nt realize that soon enough...

Yesterday's game gives me hope that he's starting to.

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    PW should be shelved.

This needs to be a poll.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Did you see how well prepared NE was for the wishbone we ran? Thats exactly why you keep running it.

dolfan7171 and Delfin Alejandro like this.
  11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Pat White needs to be allowed to throw the ball at some point. Even if it's just a bubble screen.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Pat White looks lost out there. I think defenses know he will just tuck it and run.

dolfan7171 and BuckeyeKing like this.
  13. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Also put Pat White on the shelf aswell.

Just run the conventional offense.

Rick 1966 and dolfan7171 like this.
  14. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Lets first look at why the Wildcat was even brought out, and that was to need to get our best players on the field at the same time. Those players where Ronnie and Ricky respectively. Having Cobbs certaintly didnt hurt. With Ronnie and Cobbs on IR its really just a mere shell of what it once was so my vote would be to shelve it for the remainder of the season.

As far as the Pat white experiment goes we had a good discussion going on this last night, so here are my thoughts. It's really proven to be quite pointless. The threat of him throwing sort of goes out the window when hes only thrown the ball 3 times all year and completed none of them. He looks lost and quite fragile when he's in the game. If the team is dead set on using a package like this then I would like to see Tyler Thigpen get a shot at running this. Not because He's a better runner (although he has some nice running skills)but because he's a better passer and has legitimate NFL QB experience.

Next year with a year under his belt if they want to use Pat White to run the spread option and they have a complete package set for him then I would be all in favor of them putting his package back in.

This does not mean I think he's a bust. Not in the least it simply means I would like for us to allow him more time to develop those skills. There is nothing wrong with allowing him to hold a clip board on the sideline and learn under Henne.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, but I think in order for him to be effective next year, and in the future, we need tape on how teams defend it. Which is why I think we get him into the game now.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Seriously. If we can get enough tape we can eventually play off the numbers, and fool them every time :D

Defense/Offense goes both ways!

17. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    See, I think in order for it to be effective he needs to be able to read and react to NFL coverages and schemes. IMO he's just not there yet. I would like to see him get the same opportunity that Henne got to develop as a QB first. Then you can wheel out a full compliment of plays and he will be able to audible us into the correct play at the LOS. That's when I see it being effective.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  18. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The problem is teams key in on the run when Pat White is in and he really isnt that great at running. Until he burns a team through the air he wont be a effective weapon.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, but his reads are going to be completely different than anything we are used to. Thats why we put him on the field now, to see what type of reads he has to make. We just don't know how teams are going to defend the pistol or the wishbone, or the spread option. Its unchartered waters.

20. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think the WC still has its place. While its pretty obvious its not the same without Ronnie running it, I think it still has value down on the goaline and inside the redzone. The advantage it gives us in numbers in the running game makes it worthwhile to run. However, that being said, without Ronnie back there, its pretty much useless for the most part during the regular flow of the game.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  21. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think it really has its place, and for me that place is on the goal line. I think it gives you an advantage on the goal line, but really I dont like running it in the middle of a good drive.

You run it at the goal line and the RB can find the hold easier. Lets just not have Ricky Williams throwing the ball from it.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    We can run the ball w/o the WC, Henne can take over the game if need be.

I dont think we should put it on ice until next year, maybe run it 5 or 6 times a game in a "standard" WC formation: Just pure smashmouth football.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  23. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I like that. Just slap them around a little bit before Chad Henne finishes them off!!

24. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    dj is right ... the moment RB limped off the field - the WC should have died ....

unless we can find someone (like Sheets maybe) that can offer the same quickness - it needs to be shelved until next year.

PW just needs to be inactive at this point.