1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcat = "annoying little gimmick"?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Deof Movestofca, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Deof Movestofca

Deof Movestofca Dolphins Dude

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
  2. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    It "wouldn't be used by anyone who considers themselves a man"?

:lol:

What a tool.
    Another idiot joins what is pretty much a laughable circus known as sports media. Such a silly comment it's pathetic.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Best of the comments....

4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    at least he's not saying the fins don't deserve to win. perhaps in a twisted way he is just trying to say that the only reason this formation works so well is because of ronnie brown, which i would completely agree with. ronnie is doing a great job reading the plays and making it work. i love it

5. finsmx

finsmx Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Monterrey, Mexico
    I don't know about you guys but he's actually got a point there, not in the whole gimmick, lack of manhood bs, but on the things he says about Ronnie.

Disnardo likes this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think you gotta give the formation credit though.

No offense works without players. And some require a higher caliber player than others.

Not everybody can excel in the Wildcat. And as such, they probably wouldn't be calling it without Ronnie back there. IMO, it's no coincidence that the principles in the last offense to run it were Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

We've run it what, 18 times the last two games? It's not a gimmick anymore. It's part of the offense.

mullingan likes this.
  7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Gimmicks dont score what, 6 TDs in 2 games. Or average over 10 YPC. Its a strategy and gameplan and formation that has, by all accounts, worked rather well.

Frankly I expect us to use it till it stops working. After that we might run it once or twice a game, maybe around the goal line area, but not much more than that. But it is an effective formation because it puts a hat on every defender. Whereas with a standard QB handoff, its a 10 on 11. So its tough to gameplan against.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How does that guy have a job?

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    How elementary and childish is this topic....All the offense is is ronnie running the ball with a man in motion..

Its not the freakin wildcat, its the brilliance and superior talents of #23..

Other teams are jealous and frustrated, its OUR OFFENSE and we are evolving into something special.

Something that is new will always get shot done because people are afraid of change.

This dweeb actually gave ronnie credit but his comments about men not running this offense is ignorant.

finsmx likes this.
  10. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I don't know if maybe its me...

but if you stop reading the article when he talks about being less of a man, you might be missing the point...

The writer IMO, is staing that Ronnie is the reason that we are scoring and being successfull, not the formation...

I mean he plainly says we are winning not because of gimmick plays but by the good play execution of our players...

gafinfan, finsmx and cnc66 like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How could we win if we executed all our players?:lol:

unluckyluciano, Muck and Disnardo like this.
  12. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    OK...good one and missed it...:up: and fixed it...:tongue2:

Fin D likes this.
  13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    gimmick??? :lol: its no different than any other play in the league, just a different personnel situation... I dont see the big deal. Its just like running any play, out of any formation. Its just not... traditional. Its different than what everyone else is doing... heaven forbid that happens in the NFL... Deal with it. learn to stop it. Thats the point of this game.

Disnardo likes this.
  14. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    It's really not gimmicky at all. It's a (pretty simple) power running formation that gets both Ronnie and Ricky on the field at the same time, and also gives Ronnie a chance to use his ability to read the defense and pick a spot. Kudos to our offensive staff, though, because football is all about giving your talented players a chance.

Since it isn't gimmicky, I don't expect some defensive coordinator to come up with some new twist that will instantly render it useless. Its main drawback to me is that neither Ronnie nor Ricky is much of a threat to throw the ball (despite Ronnie's nice toss to Fasano against NE), and the ball almost always goes to the right side. I expect at some point they will put Williams at the right wingback position and bring him in motion to the left.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i know right, but what the heck did he mean about being less then a man....iam gonna have to read the thing again

16. Jamester23

Jamester23 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Exactamente. Instead of defending it, why don't we relish the fact that our team is doing something special that the rest of the NFL is copying.

It's been a sparse occurance in this decade.

keypusher likes this.
  17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The author is MJD. Who the heck is that?

it ain't maurice jones drew is it :D

18. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Michael Jackson's dick?

Tiny and insignificant :)

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Celtkin likes this.
  20. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Better look again, Pats ran it VS S/F sunday:pity:

21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    no joke I knew bp was a tough guy but jesus.... I didn't think threat of death was how he got them to play so hard.

Fin D likes this.
  22. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    what does it say when the team we destroyed ends up using in their next game and scores a TD on it?

calphin likes this.
  23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well thats different, Bellichick is a genius.:shifty:

calphin, unluckyluciano and Fin D like this.
  24. Deof Movestofca

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
    If I had to guess, I'd say a frustrated SD fan based on the fact that he (or she?) found it funny when the Dolphins ran it successfully against the Patsies, but quickly changed his or her opinion of the play after this week's game. Although it's entirely possible that I could be wrong about that....

25. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    What I object to is the context in which he (and others, as well) use the term "gimmick". As if calling the Wildcat Formation a gimmick play somehow denigrates what this team has done. .....
    Sorry but no one plays heads up anymore. Every time anyone lines up there's some sort of wrinkle aimed at keeping the opposition off balance.

26. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    If it's the play I'm thinking of, it wasn't the wildcat. Cassel was lined up as QB and it was just a direct snap to the HB.

first&goal likes this.
  27. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    [sarcasm on]
    Jim Thorpe was not a man.
    Pop Warner was not a man.
    Knute Rockne was not a man.
    Urban Meyer is not a man.
    Tim Tebo is not a man.
    [sarcasm off]

This clown did not deserve the "click" I gave the link. I've never read anything written by the clown but this much I now know about him: Matthew J. Darnell does not know anything about the history of football.

Deof Movestofca likes this.
  28. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Nah. Different play. They ran the old "direct snap to RB while QB reaches for the bad snap" play. Not the same as lining up w/o a QB in backfield.

fins4o8 likes this.
  29. brparkway

brparkway Season Ticket Holder

Dec 16, 2007
    Roanoke, VA. U.S.
    He's right about the annoying part. It annoys the hell out of the other team when we score with it.

late again and cnc66 like this.
  30. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Call it what you want, it's working...if, as the announcers said on Sunday, a team is spending time in practice preparing for it, it takes away from other things that they could be preparing for...MJD's point, I think, was not to legitamize the design of the play, but to state that any play in which we get the ball in Brown's hands is a good play...

cnc66 likes this.
  31. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I noticed one thing in recent threads including this one, and that is that all of or at least most of the Dolphin fans are coming together and defending our team and each other and not bickering about trivial things. Gives me a warm feeling. :bighug:

As far as the quote goes it wouldn't be so bad without the "not a man" quote and thats downright insulting. We finally have some coaches who can be innovative and know how to best utilize the personnel we have and thats not a gimmick, thats smart, something we haven't had a lot of in the last few years! GO DOLPHINS :yahoo:

32. Deof Movestofca

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
    Surprised he allowed himself to be identified with the article. IIRC, even the forward pass was criticized when it was first used.

33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Call it a gimmick if you want. I don't care. I just want to call it a win. Every game.

34. Deof Movestofca

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
    Seeing as the 'Phins were 1-15 without the wildcat last year and 0-2 before they started using it this year, but have gone 2-0 since they began to use it, I know which I prefer.

35. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sounds like a pissed off Charger fan who is mad that we beat down his team.

36. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    What people fail to recognize, and I can only hope defensive coordinators around the league make the same mistake, is that there are countless possiblities from that formation that are still untapped. I mean you still have the possibility of a backward pass to Chad to let him throw...possibly even to Ronnie slanting across in front of him...you can use Ginn and Bess creatively out of it, Ricky can lineup as the primary receiver still, they can run the option, a shovel pass, etc. People can say what they want, but it adds an entire branch to the playbook that defenses need to exhaust time and energy preparing for. If using a formation that no man would use wins games, then I say we're just smarter men.

37. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego

Wait, how you know it's tiny? :pointlol:

38. Deof Movestofca

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
    Are you sure that's a question you really want to know the answer to?:lol:

39. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Not really ... :D

Clinton Hart was on radio yesterday here in SD, and he told Philly Billy and Darren Smith (for you SD locals) that the team was told to blow Chad Pennington up when they ran the formation. Blow him up immediately. Philly Billy (who annoys the living doodoo out of me) was agreeing with this, said it'll put a stop to this nonsense right away. Of course they were butt hurt.

In any even tthey were complaining why Pennington was not blown up, but was allowed to run up the field jog along etc. Bet they miss Drayton Florence for those plays.

I'm sure the coaches talked about this. how about a flag and a fine for nailing someone running out of bounds? The person(s) occupied with trying to blow up Chad will also be taken out of play. Even better. 11 cant' stop Ronnie or even Ricky at times. 10? No problemo.

40. Deof Movestofca

Oct 2, 2008
    Earth
    Just who exactly was supposed to be telling the players this?
    Although I realize that injuries are part of the game, I've never understood how people could wish (or cheer) for a player getting hurt. That's just wrong in my book, even when it happens to an opponent like Brady. If it was them on the field as the potential victim, I somehow think they'd feel differently.
    Ironic then, because I sort of recall that SD's FO (at the time) allowed Rodney Harrison to walk in FA due to them being convinced that his use of such was detrimental to the team (or at least the team image).
    I thought it was against NFL rules for a coach to encourage players to deliberately hurt an opponent (or at least put "bounties" on them, although I fail to see any real difference between one and the other).