1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think its pretty obvious that WR is a top need in the 2013 draft. From what I understand, there is not an elite WR a la Larry Fitzgerald or AJ Green this year. By just looking at some draft sites, the names I see over and over again are:

Keenan Allen
    Robert Woods
    Justin Hunter
    Tavon Austin

If we end up with a top-10 pick, would any of these guys be a "reach"? What NFL players do they compare to? Thanks.

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think any of those guys are worth a top 10 pick. I would probably go pass rusher with the first pick.

Bpk likes this.
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd take a good look at Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd round, Ryan Swope a bit lower.

4. ajaffe9

ajaffe9 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I think all of these players are reach's with our draft position. They're all pretty much late first - mid second rounders, IMO. And they're all very different receivers so it really depends what your team needs are. I've seen Allen be compared to Percy Harvin (not speed wise, but more versatility and different uses as a WR) and Miles Austin. Woods is a technician, runs great routes and always finds a hole in the defense. Not really sure who to compare Woods to. Maybe Victor Cruz? Good hands for both Allen and Woods. Hunter is a tall, lanky 6-4 receiver that can run. Deep threat, but durability is a concern. I've heard Kenny Britt comparisons for Hunter, which can be good (skill level) and bad (injuries). Tavon Austin is small, but electric playmaker with gamebreaking speed. Watch his game against Oklahoma this year. Very versatile.
    Again, wouldn't take any until later in the first round, but I think they all have some very good talent.

NolesNPhinsFan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I want Stedman Bailey! He's what we need.
    [video=youtube;cPYO0jUldTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cPYO0jUldTc#![/video]

I say get him with either with one of the 2nds or 3rds and also take a shot on a slipping Marques Wilson or Da'Rick Rogers.

6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Miami won't draft Da'Rick Rogers. I'd draft Tavon Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You mentioned earlier talking to one of Roger's coaches at Tennessee Tech iirc- is he still too much of a problem? I'm curious as to Marquess Wilson as well, I wonder where he stacks up on the problem child scale.

8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Of all the Wrs that may or may not declare, these are my favorites and ones that I would like to see in a Miami Dolphins uniform:

1.) DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
    2.) Terrence Williams, Baylor
    3.) Stedman Bailey, WVU

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  9. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I like Hopkins but he is a late first so I think we'll miss out on him.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It's nice to fantasize about trading back for Da'Rick and packaging the extra pick for Austin..... but like a midget threesome it'll remain a fantasy.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ATM Dabo expects Hopkins to return.

12. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    That wouldn't surprise me. I think Boyd gets a late draft grade from the NFL committee and decides to stay at Clemson which causes Hopkins to stay. Sad thing is, there is literally nothing more that Hopkins do to improve his draft stock in my opinion.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree..... but he's a team kid and is the type who would want to return his senior year out of loyalty, gratitude, chance for a championship, and love of the school/program. He might still come out but it won't be an easy decision even though he's ready as you mentioned.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    jmo, from what I've seen, I wouldn't touch Wilson..

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Eiffert..Austin..

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I just don't think the receiving talent in this draft is worthy of a top 10 pick. However, I fully expect that Ireland will be vilified for not reaching for one of those WRs.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't think that he'll be villified as long as he drafts solid, producing playmakers. The board is stacked with pass rushers, so we might as well get at least one of those and that imo will most likely be the 1st round pick right there. Then we probably get a WR and CB in round 2 and at least one more of each, depending on what happens in FA.

It's almost comical that we have so many OL problems after devoting mega resources to it the past 5 years or so, but that is what it is. Frontal assault time as per acquiring playmakers, doubling up isn't as much a philisophical choice as a requirement imo- the cupboard is bare. But I don't think that Ireland will be punished if won't draft a WR in rd 1. I still haven't made up my mind as to Keenan Allen and whether or not he's worth a top 15 pick.

18. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading into the bottom of round one to take one of those guys. It just depends on how the first round shakes out. There could be a serious run on D-Line leaving all 4 available in that 20-30 range.

If Allen is there after 19 picks I am one the phone trying to move up

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I also don't see a wide receiver as likely in this Draft for us in the top 10.

I think the Dolphins would consider guys like Bjoern Werner, Anthony Barr, Manti Te'o, Dee Milliner, Johnathan Banks, Matt Elam and Phillip Thomas before they consider a wide receiver. They'd also perhaps take a Tyler Eifert into consideration before a wide receiver.

That's assuming the current front office remains in tact which I don't know is a good assumption.

Bpk, GARDENHEAD and ssmiami like this.
  20. Zanno

Zanno Junior Member

Apr 8, 2008
    I would not be suprised to see a DB and DE as our first two picks

Bpk likes this.
  21. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
  22. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Watched games with Robert Woods, Keenan, Cordarrelle, Tavon, Justin, and a few others.. Yet came away liking Stedman Bailey with our late second or early third round pick.

None of the others are worth our first, IMO.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not a fan of Cordarrelle, Justin or Keenan. I do like Woods and and Tavon, but not in the first for either of them. I also don't think Woods is a fit for what we need. I just like him in general. So despite my desire for additions at the WR position, I think this draft's talent dictates not going for a WR in the first.

Bpk likes this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I really liked Woods last year, but after watching him another full year wouldn't even draft him in the 2nd.

Keenan I still think would be a nice addition in the 2nd, as would Cordarelle or Austin. Hunter is the only guy worthy of a 1st IMO.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I've always been kind of skeptical on the hype surrounding Robert Woods ever since he was a freshman. As a freshman he looked unusually well developed as a route runner and receiver for so young in his college career, but I wasn't sure if there was a ton there physically. Last year brought that point home for me. This year is the same. I think he's a solid player. I'd draft him in the late 2nd if I really needed the position and a few of the guys I liked were unavailable. But I'm not sure I'd be all that excited.

26. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Anthony Barr is going back to school. I like Rogers, Williams, and Austin. Also I'd take a flyer later on Swope. He knows the offense and seems like a heady guy and already has an established rapport with Tannehill.

27. Bpk

The problem is, all these WRs are worth a second, but some teams will reach. We won't get a crack at them in the second, save Tavon in the early second, I think, and Bailey in the lat second to mid third.

I'm hoping there's a prospect I've missed who'd be great value in the second. Just appears to be a weak class, which adds more import to FA moves at the position.

28. Bpk

Barr needs another year, imo. Needs weight, and lower body power. I had issues with him getting moved too easily by blockers. His base is suspect. In general, I liked his frame, his running down plays from the backside, but he didn't wow me. Maybe i don't know what to look for?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just gonna say what I feel...Barr would of been a high first round draft pick...you can always go back to school, but you can't ever get a guaranteed 7 figure income just by coming out..in this modern era, with the physical and sometimes scary parts of the game that come with territory, you make your millions while you have the chance..

I don't think these players are being advised very well..if your eligible, you should go man...your career will likely be over at 30, plenty of time to get your degree..Having fun for another year, or making a promise to your mom is not thinking things thru logically, jmo.

When a running back does it, they must be borderline challenged.

30. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't watch a lot of college ball and so I wait until the combine before making a "final" opinion on the wr group in any draft. I love when NFLN shows them running the gauntlet because IMO that's the true test of their natural hands.

To that degree, I've only seen a couple of highlight videos on Tavon Austin. To me, and this is an early opinion that I have the right to change at any moment :shifty: he rarely catches the ball with his hands up (fingers up). Now is that due to a lot of low throws :lol: okay... but he tends to catch with his body... not real aggressive with his snatch and grab. So, would like to see him run that gauntlet and see how he does. Of course, once he gets his hands on the ball and he's in space that's where he is at his best. He's got that Warrick Dunn, Steve Smith, Percy Harvin ability.

31. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Tavon is a tremendous space player, and for a team to maximize his ability, they will have to gear things towards getting him the ball in space. I do question whether he can play outside the hashes.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2012/futures-west-virginia-wr-tavon-austin

Personally, I like his teammate Stedman Bailey more as a prospect.

Bpk likes this.
  32. Bpk

Totally agree. Would you rather see us take a WR or a TE in the second, if it were to be one or the other? Or if neither, which round would you want one.

33. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    IMO, the second round will be the receiver round in this draft. Miami could very well be looking at players like Terrence Williams from Baylor, Cobi Hamilton from Arkansas, Justin Hunter from Tennessee, Aaron Dodson from Marshall, and Stedman Bailey from West Virginia in this round since Miami has two picks.

Bpk likes this.
  34. Bpk

You've given me more names to go research! Thanks! :)

Agree on the second round being the WR value round. Mis to late first is the pass rusher sweets pot for this draft.

No clue about the third round. I haven't got that deep into looking at it yet.

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Keenan Allen
    Tavon Austin
    Q Patton
    DaRick Rogers
    Stedman Bailey

Those are the 5 best fits IMO. Patton & Rogers in the 2nd round plus Bailey in the 3rd would be outstanding, with Greg Jennings in FA as their mentor showing them the way. Bailey in the slot, Patton at flanker, and Rogers at split end..... but all 3 could learn and play all 3 spots, which is why I'd love them as a trio. Then cut Bess and forget about re-sigining Hartline who is becoming more worthless by the week due to his utter lack of playmaking ability as far as I'm concerned. This should be an offense where nothing but playmakers are allowed. Philbin has the brains capable of getting these guys the ball in space, so that needs to be taken full advantage of.

Bpk likes this.
  36. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I like Cobi Hamilton.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

B.Sebo and Bpk like this.
  37. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm gradually going through what film I can find on the receivers. The two I have focused on the most at this point are Keenan Allen and Robert Woods.

Some brief notes that I have made on both:

Allen -
    *Tremendous quickness and lateral agility
    *A running back with the ball in his hands
    *Knows how to use his body to create separation
    *Not a quick accelerator, but has build up speed
    *Long arms and high points the ball
    *Hurt by poor quarterback play
    *Tips off his breaks

Woods -
    *Quick feet
    *Can get on top of the defense
    *Athletic

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's why I think Allen would be perfect in a Philbin style WCO where as Terrance Williams and possibly Cobi Hamilton might be better suited for more of a Coryell focused offense. Allen would be quite effective in the short passing game b/c he's a precise, sharp route running receiver for a guy his size, and he has the long speed, size, and ball skills to be effective on deep routes. He reminds me of Jordy Nelson in that regard.

..... but I'd rather have a premium pass rusher or trade back if possible.

39. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I remember reading something a while back where Joe Philbin stated they looked at Chris Givens from Wake Forest very hard in the draft. The Dolphins ultimately ended up with Michael Egnew with that pick instead of Chris Givens. The Rams got Givens at the top of the 4th round. Givens has had a nice rookie season and is a guy that can take the top off a defense.

A guy I've been watching some that makes me think of Givens is Oregon State's Marcus Wheaton.

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I can see the comparison there.