Wi Fi

43 replies

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Apr 25, 2018, 04:27 PM

Here are some screen shots url's. Tried unfollowing but no change.

a/0XYdgb7

a/iY356BB

a/Ww3HSXw

a/SzdYyQH

Thanks all,
Rick

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 25, 2018, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the expert info, guys! I downloaded the Netgear app and found that the network where I'm living now is garbage, lol. I'm hoping to be able to set one up in June in my new house that will cover three floors well.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Apr 25, 2018, 05:46 PM

When you said you updated it, I'm guessing you clicked Update Driver in Control Panel. It's going to tell you that's the latest because you don't have internet access to connect to Windows Update to check for a newer driver. I'd download the latest driver from here on a flash drive or hardwire it and download it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27045/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-WiFi-Link-5100?product=70970

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Apr 25, 2018, 07:39 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Thanks for all the expert info, guys! I downloaded the Netgear app and found that the network where I'm living now is garbage, lol. I'm hoping to be able to set one up in June in my new house that will cover three floors well.

3 floors? Look up Google Wifi or Linksys Velop.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 25, 2018, 08:24 PM

"byroan wrote:

3 floors? Look up Google Wifi or Linksys Velop.

Main level, basement and upstairs kids room. My plan is to have the modem amd router in the pantry, which is close to central for the whole house, and close to directly above where my downstairs tv and ps4 will be.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Apr 26, 2018, 09:50 AM

"dolfan22 wrote:

How can I attach screen shots I took and put on a flash drive here so they can be viewed? Didn't see an option in the conversation message. Thanks.

Download "Greenshot" for free. It's great for copying and pasting screenshots.

[ATTACH:full]

MNmnfinfanLuxury Box
Apr 26, 2018, 10:31 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Thanks for all the expert info, guys! I downloaded the Netgear app and found that the network where I'm living now is garbage, lol. I'm hoping to be able to set one up in June in my new house that will cover three floors well.

Welcome! Using that app will help you build out the WiFi network in your new house, as I use it in addition to the tools the router provides for coverage mapping.

MNmnfinfanLuxury Box
Apr 26, 2018, 10:37 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Main level, basement and upstairs kids room. My plan is to have the modem amd router in the pantry, which is close to central for the whole house, and close to directly above where my downstairs tv and ps4 will be.

Depending on construction, you may have some dark zones, especially if it is in Pantry and htere are food items (cans) etc in with it. You have the app so at least you will be able to see your coverage, but like Byroan said you may want to try a mesh configuration like Google Wi-Fi, Amplifi, velop or others to get full coverage.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 26, 2018, 10:43 AM

"mnfinfan wrote:

Depending on construction, you may have some dark zones, especially if it is in Pantry and htere are food items (cans) etc in with it. You have the app so at least you will be able to see your coverage, but like Byroan said you may want to try a mesh configuration like Google Wi-Fi, Amplifi, velop or others to get full coverage.

I'll experiment with what I've got once I set it up. The reason I'm thinking of putting it in the pantry is that the main level won't have an entertainment center. We're going to mount the TV directly to the wall. Do you think that putting the equipment in the basement, and getting a really strong router, would be a better call? Or is the mesh equipment the better way to go?

Its all very exciting for me, because I haven't had broadband in my home since 2005. I got giddy when the Comcast guy was at the telephone pole in front of where the house is being built yesterday, lol.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Apr 26, 2018, 10:46 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I'll experiment with what I've got once I set it up. The reason I'm thinking of putting it in the pantry is that the main level won't have an entertainment center. We're going to mount the TV directly to the wall. Do you think that putting the equipment in the basement, and getting a really strong router, would be a better call? Or is the mesh equipment the better way to go?

Its all very exciting for me, because I haven't had broadband in my home since 2005. I got giddy when the Comcast guy was at the telephone pole in front of where the house is being built yesterday, lol.

I think you'd be a lot happier with the wifi coverage with the mesh system. I wish they had it when I installed an access point in my basement.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 26, 2018, 10:47 AM

"byroan wrote:

I think you'd be a lot happier with the wifi coverage with the mesh system. I wish they had it when I installed an access point in my basement.

OK, thanks. I've been out of the loop for a while. I worked at Office Depot selling networking equipment for years, but a lot has changed since I was last working in 2013.

MNmnfinfanLuxury Box
Apr 26, 2018, 01:38 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

OK, thanks. I've been out of the loop for a while. I worked at Office Depot selling networking equipment for years, but a lot has changed since I was last working in 2013.

"byroan wrote:

I think you'd be a lot happier with the wifi coverage with the mesh system. I wish they had it when I installed an access point in my basement.

Yeah, a lot has changed in the last 5 years. Mesh is the way to go, especially as we have so many devices connecting, from TVs, phones, gaming devices and maybe a Laptop if we can get that working lol! I used to use all sorts of tricks to manage my WiFi network now I have a base, a couple of Mesh devices and my house which is a multi level house with a lot of interference works like a charm. At any time I have 4-5 phones on, 3 gaming devices and a TV or two and all connected to my mesh devices. Now if it wasn't so damn expensive for broadband I would be really happy!

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
May 1, 2018, 10:39 AM

Dolfan22, It sounds like your current wifi adapter is failing or one of the radios in your access point is failing. Your best bet is to take your laptop to a Starbucks or somewhere with public wifi and see if you are having the same issues there. Taking it to another network will help you diagnose it.

Can you log into your AP and see what band and protocol your other working devices are connecting at? Your laptop adapter is a A/G/N which can connect on A at 5 GHz or G/N at 2.4 GHz. N can connect at 5Ghz but some of the earlier N adapters can only connect at 2.4 GHz. Make a note of which band/protocol your devices are connecting to see if a trend forms.

What is the model of your AP? Is it an all in one router/modem/AP combo?

Your solution is going to either buy a new wifi adapter for your laptop or a new AP for your house.

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
May 1, 2018, 10:52 AM

Also the Marvell Yukon is your wired ethernet port. Try to update the driver on the Intel 5100

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 8, 2018, 05:08 PM

"byroan wrote:

When you said you updated it, I'm guessing you clicked Update Driver in Control Panel. It's going to tell you that's the latest because you don't have internet access to connect to Windows Update to check for a newer driver. I'd download the latest driver from here on a flash drive or hardwire it and download it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27045/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-WiFi-Link-5100?product=70970

Thanks for the suggestion. I typed in the model but the results came up as no downloads available.

Now that the draft is done, hoping to see if I can resolve this issue. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 8, 2018, 05:35 PM

"Deerless Dice wrote:

Dolfan22, It sounds like your current wifi adapter is failing or one of the radios in your access point is failing. Your best bet is to take your laptop to a Starbucks or somewhere with public wifi and see if you are having the same issues there. Taking it to another network will help you diagnose it.

Can you log into your AP and see what band and protocol your other working devices are connecting at? Your laptop adapter is a A/G/N which can connect on A at 5 GHz or G/N at 2.4 GHz. N can connect at 5Ghz but some of the earlier N adapters can only connect at 2.4 GHz. Make a note of which band/protocol your devices are connecting to see if a trend forms.

What is the model of your AP? Is it an all in one router/modem/AP combo?

Your solution is going to either buy a new wifi adapter for your laptop or a new AP for your house.

Some of the verbiage is more than a bit beyond my knowledge, so bear with me. As all other devices connect I presume it is the wi fi adapter in the laptop. Not sure if that has failed permanently or not or if a setting change can resolve it.

How do I log in to the access point to get that information? Thanks.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 8, 2018, 05:36 PM

"Deerless Dice wrote:

Also the Marvell Yukon is your wired ethernet port. Try to update the driver on the Intel 5100

How do I do that? Thanks.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
May 8, 2018, 07:36 PM

"dolfan22 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I typed in the model but the results came up as no downloads available.

Now that the draft is done, hoping to see if I can resolve this issue. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

That link should take you straight to the downloads page. Just pick your operating system windows 7 32 or 64 bit. This is found under the system option in the control panel.

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
May 9, 2018, 02:36 PM

What's the make and model of your wireless router/AP. I assume it's a router/AP combo but it will help to figure out the problem

"dolfan22 wrote:

How do I do that? Thanks.

Byroan linked the driver download for you in post #28. The download links are on the left side of the screen.

"dolfan22 wrote:

Some of the verbiage is more than a bit beyond my knowledge, so bear with me. As all other devices connect I presume it is the wi fi adapter in the laptop. Not sure if that has failed permanently or not or if a setting change can resolve it.

How do I log in to the access point to get that information? Thanks.

You'll have to be on your network and since your laptop wifi is toast you'll want to connect via wire. On your laptop, click the windows button and put the cursor on the bar at the bottom with the magnifying glass. Type in cmd then press enter. This brings up a black screen called a command prompt. You can type ipconfig then press enter to get your network info. The default gateway is usually your router so take the IP address it gives you and put it into your browser address bar like a website address. This will open up the router in your web browser to find what is connected. You may need to dig our your username and password if you changed it from the default.