Why not "Wild Stallion" Thigpen?

37 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Feb 16, 2011, 09:34 AM

Coincidentally, Thigpen’s name has been mentioned in a few NFL circles as an unrestricted (likely, depending on the new CBA) free agent quarterback who MIGHT get an real opportunity in places like Carolina, San Francisco and Arizona to compete for a starting spot, if not serve as a veteran No. 2.

Despite what some Dolphins fans think, Thigpen has shown enough to warrant an opportunity to compete for a starting job in the NFL. He’s athletic, has good feet, above average throwing mechanics, and plays with moxie that can’t be taught.

I’ll give you two sets of career numbers for quarterbacks to examine.

Quarterback 1: 54.2 percent completion for 3,167 passing yards, 21 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, 35 sacks with a quarterback rating of 73.7.

Quarterback 2: 60.8 percent completion for 2,082 yards, 11 touchdowns, 14 interceptions, 20 sacks and a 73.2 quarterback rating.

Those are the career numbers for Thigpen (quarterback 1), and Kolb (quarterback 2), whom the Eagles are reportedly requesting a first-round pick for.

So why do a couple of teams want to invest in Thigpen but the Dolphins, which have owned his rights for nearly two years after trading for him in 2009, haven’t done so during his South Florida tenure?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/02/should-dolphins-invest-more-in-tyler-thigpen.html#comments

Well, I've made no bones about the fact Tyler Thigpen is a much better Qb than Chad Henne however I also think Sparano does not like his style of play so Thigpen has sat behind Chad Henne for 2yrs.

O also points out that Thigpen is more feared by our own Defenders as they practice against him on a weekly basis and he gives them problems, and this is a solid defense.

So opposed, or in favor of, retaining Tyler Thigpen and giving him the chance to be the #1 Qb?

For me, I really like his game, I've said before that he reminds me of a young Rich Gannon in terms of style of play and intangibles.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Feb 16, 2011, 09:36 AM

Most excellent dude.:shifty:

SHShamboubouNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:13 AM

Bears Game.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

ALalen1New Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:14 AM

Wild Stallion? First time I'm hearing that nickname for Thigpen.

I'm not a big fan of his though. He can't settle down IMO. He's all over the place throwing the ball.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 AM

"alen1 wrote:

Wild Stallion? First time I'm hearing that nickname for Thigpen.

I'm not a big fan of his though. He can't settle down IMO. He's all over the place throwing the ball.


Per Omark that is what the outgoing offensive staff nicknamed him.

And that sort of frenetic style is one of the things I like about him, that unpredictability if coupled with a friendly scheme will/would lead to far better offensive production.

dukane5dukane5New Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:29 AM

agree padre

cant just point to the Bears game...the O-line and many other aspects of our game were horrid. He throws a good ball and seems to scan the field well. I also like his ability to extend a play and run for a first down...requiring additional responsibilities for the opposing defense.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 10:29 AM

"Shamboubou wrote:

Bears Game.


What about it?

ALalen1New Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:30 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Per Omark that is what the outgoing offensive staff nicknamed him.

And that sort of frenetic style is one of the things I like about him, that unpredictability if coupled with a friendly scheme will/would lead to far better offensive production.


Oh ok. I could see why they named him that. IMO if they think Thigpen can be answer for this offense, they are in some deep trouble.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 AM

"dukane5 wrote:

agree padre

cant just point to the Bears game...the O-line and many other aspects of our game were horrid. He throws a good ball and seems to scan the field well. I also like his ability to extend a play and run for a first down...requiring additional responsibilities for the opposing defense.

I like the fact he is not afraid to throw into small windows, something I do not know if Henne will ever be able to do, I also like the fact he can run effectively, so for me the question with him is whether or not he can do a passable imitation of a pass throwing statue which is apparently the Parcellian blue print..which I despise BTW.

As for his effectiveness can they teach him to check down? I'd think they could, and if Daboll could make McCoy look decent, why couldn't he do even better with the more proven Thigpen?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 10:34 AM

"alen1 wrote:

Oh ok. I could see why they named him that. IMO if they think Thigpen can be answer for this offense, they are in some deep trouble.


Heh, if Thigpen is allowed to compete for the Starting Qb job that will be the best Qb they have made since signing Pennington.

ALalen1New Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:35 AM

I don't necessarily agree but if it ends up that way, that's not saying much.

shula_guyshula_guyNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 10:36 AM

I like his ability to roll out of the pocket when it collapses and make something out of a broken play. I also like his fearless attitude and his ability to thread the needle into tight spots while under pressure. I think they should of played him more to see what we have in him. The big question I have is how well he can do when an opposing defense has time to game plan around his style of play. IMO Thigpen is a huge question mark and this staff did not have the forsight to at least play him a few games to make an evaluation of how good he might be capable of becoming. I think this staff feels they have already seen enough from him and they will most likely let him walk or resign him to a very modest 3rd string salary.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 16, 2011, 10:47 AM

I think our opinion of Thigpen is generally the same as the more knowledgeable fans of Chiefs I talked to when we traded for him.

-Thigpen is a very good backup QB. he makes plays with his legs (scrambling) and isn't afraid to try and make the big play. all good qualities in a QB, but overall he is at best a poor man's Rich Gannon and IMO will not reach that level.

-and even if you convince me that he could be another Rich Gannon, I don't want Rich Gannon as my QB. Rich Gannon was a great backup QB early in KC (MUCH better than Thigpen) but he had the reputation of never stretching a defense past 15 yards. he went to the perfect offense in Oakland with the perfect set of WRs to make their run to the superbowl. but Tampa shut them down because that passing offense was one-sided, IMO.

-I would love to keep Thigpen as our backup. There's no way I want him starting for this team. He's too inconsistent, and I don't see signs that he will improve.

testing

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 10:51 AM

"alen1 wrote:

I don't necessarily agree but if it ends up that way, that's not saying much.


Well, the way I see it is if Thiggy is "only" a Ryan Fitzpatrick then we are still better off and he has shown that level of ability.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM

let Thigpen compete on a level playing field. competition is the elixir of success. we cannot afford to waste resources.

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

SHShamboubouNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 11:48 AM

"padre31 wrote:

What about it?


It was a huge game for the team and a huge opportunity for Thiggy to show what he had. Both opportunities were squandered. We can talk about the line injuries and such, but that really didn't happen till around halfway through the game. The first part of the game he had everybody he needed and just coudn't get the job done.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a look, I'm just saying that there is now way that we can put our eggs in the Thiggy basket. The thread asks why not Thiggy. His performance in the bears game is the why not for me. He's just not a starting QB in my book.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 AM

"Shamboubou wrote:

It was a huge game for the team and a huge opportunity for Thiggy to show what he had. Both opportunities were squandered. We can talk about the line injuries and such, but that really didn't happen till around halfway through the game. The first part of the game he had everybody he needed and just coudn't get the job done.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a look, I'm just saying that there is now way that we can put our eggs in the Thiggy basket. The thread asks why not Thiggy. His performance in the bears game is the why not for me. He's just not a starting QB in my book.


We ran the ball seven times with our running backs for 12 yards in that football game. Thigpen didn't get any help from the play calling in a very winnable game. If you recall it was 3-0 then 6-0 then 9-0. You put together a decent drive and score a TD in that game your in it or even have a chance to win it. As Henning did with Henne so often he didn't give his young QB any help at all.
Forced him to win it all by himself.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Feb 16, 2011, 12:07 PM

Personally I prefer Thigpen over henne.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Feb 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

competition is the elixir of success
it brings out the best in everyone
let them compete. the best will emerge
more importantly:
got to have a running game & an offensive line
that can dominate the trenches or no one will be successful @ QB in 2011

we need a franchise quality:
center
left guard
running back

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 12:32 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

We ran the ball seven times with our running backs for 12 yards in that football game. Thigpen didn't get any help from the play calling in a very winnable game. If you recall it was 3-0 then 6-0 then 9-0. You put together a decent drive and score a TD in that game your in it or even have a chance to win it. As Henning did with Henne so often he didn't give his young QB any help at all.
Forced him to win it all by himself.


Also lost Brandon Marshall at halftime of that game, no running game, no Beast, Big Jake gave up 3 sacks, and somehow Thigpen was supposed to overcome all of that?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2011, 12:49 PM

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora suggests impending free agent Tyler Thigpen as a backup to Michel Vick if the Eagles end up dealing Kevin Kolb.
Thigpen has the requisite athleticism, arm strength, and competitive streak for the job, so there's never a shortage of media members touting his talents. For purposes of a wake-up call, though, Thigpen has yet to prove he can be even a league-average backup without benefit of a spread offense. The Eagles need a more reliable -- and more accurate -- insurance policy.

Funny, rotoworld writes that, but mentions Vick, have they just forgotten what Vick was like prior to arriving in Philly?

PhinGeneralPhinGeneralSupporter
Feb 16, 2011, 12:54 PM

"Shamboubou wrote:

It was a huge game for the team and a huge opportunity for Thiggy to show what he had. Both opportunities were squandered. We can talk about the line injuries and such, but that really didn't happen till around halfway through the game. The first part of the game he had everybody he needed and just coudn't get the job done.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a look, I'm just saying that there is now way that we can put our eggs in the Thiggy basket. The thread asks why not Thiggy. His performance in the bears game is the why not for me. He's just not a starting QB in my book.

Well, for one, they can't afford to put their eggs in any one QB's basket right now.

And while I'm not going to say he's the answer, I think it's short-sighted to judge anyone on one game. He does have his fans around the league on other teams, regardless of one bad game behind a highly suspect offensive line.

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Feb 16, 2011, 12:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4UrdZOfJY&feature=related

PHPHINANALYSTForum Veteran
Feb 16, 2011, 01:00 PM

didn't see anything this year that says Thiggy could or should be our guy or is even remotely better than Henne despite the 'lost' year that i call this year for him. equally, as much as i une'quivocally believe that this regime brow beat him to death last off season and resulted in what we saw this year -- Henne has a small career defining window with this organization to account for himself this offseason. no such thing as a 'free' pass .... for anyone, regardless of the circumstances.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Feb 16, 2011, 01:13 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Also lost Brandon Marshall at halftime of that game, no running game, no Beast, Big Jake gave up 3 sacks, and somehow Thigpen was supposed to overcome all of that?


All the linemen were either hurt or back ups or back up of back ups

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty