1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why not Thigpen in the Wildcat?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    I'd also like to see Thigpen in on the Wildcat taking the QB role.

He has caught TD passes in the NFL.

He gives a running, passing and pass catching option on the field.

He could also switch with Ronnie from time to time. He is not near the runner
    but is a much much better passer.

2. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    It couldn't hurt. The offense he was in at college was very similar to what Brad Smith ran. If you ask me (not that anyone would :) ), I think that Brad Smith may actually start to eclipse Ronnie as the best trigger man for the WC in the NFL.
    He brings enough versatility to it to make him a true threat running, pitching back, or passing.
    Just sucks that he wears a damn jets jersey.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree, which was why I expected Pat White to fill the role. Thigpen would definitely be a smart lateral move though, not necessarily better but he does bring the extra dimension.

As much as I like Henne, when he decided to scramble late in the game he tried to punch right between the center and the right guard.....where the entire right side of the field was empty. That's an instinct kind of thing and it's hard to teach someone who's constantly working on passing and QB mechanics, so it would be nice to see a QB option that had some experience tucking the ball and hitting the open field.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ronnie brown, man in motion, direct snap, no BS, done..

5. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Ronnie does it so well.

The current Wildcat needs speed aorund the edge and a bruiser up the middle.

Pat white and thiggy cant work in the current form. Now if we would have spread the cat out with White maybe thig could have come in! But it never evolved. (I WILL ALWAYS WONDER WHAT IF)

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i wish they'd just scrap the one where ricky is NOT in motion.....you need that motion (wildcat back) to make the DE on that side not crash in right away.....the one where ronnie takes it with no motion, and he runs right up the middle imo is not going to be succesful.

7. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    and run 99.9% of the time
    equals fail

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The weak side was pretty open on Sunday. Just took them a half to realize it. We got some decent gains going to that side in the second half, aside from that reverse to Cobbs.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Imo, if you take away the BS Wildcat, and just let Ronnie take the snap with a man in motion, you have a very reliable power run that has a very high average..That is your foundation, and Henning is not doing a good job with it's use..He needs to go inside out again, and if your gonna keep Ronnie and sign him, then start training him to throw a quick out..

What do ya'll think about that spread wildcat we saw with him...I believe it was 4 wide no?...That's the kinda of space iam talking about..and iam not sure why it's taking this long to figure out that Ronnie brown would be magnificent in a power spread look, I mean think about it, ronnie brown can throw a football a little, even though he missed on the play, he threw it out there, so my point is, if you put 5 receivers on the outside, they have to cover it... you know Ronnie in the cat would destroy a front like that.

siciliansith likes this.
  10. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I agree The motion keeps the d'line on there toes. But when our front line is gunning Ronnie could easily take that ball and run up the middle imo. Especially in the cat he has a few extra seconds to look for holes . We did it last yr. our line is just not ready. Now why Sparano the onlin eGuru keeps ****ing with it who knows but i do think its better long term

11. DOLPHANITY

DOLPHANITY Wooo Dolphins

Oct 21, 2009
    JERSEY
    in my honest opinion the wildcat is best when ronnie takes the snap, ricky is in motion, and now Brandon f'n Marshall is receiving! Having Marshall was supposed to make the original wildcat easier to run by having Marshall blocking and taking the 8th man out of the box. Also I believe that running reverses and double reverses is simply a high risk high reward scenario because it can completely destroy a defense but at the same time you could easily lose 10 yards. im not saying we need to get rid of the fancy wildcat, im just saying we never should be using it when we are marching down the field without a problem.

lohink likes this.
  12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The WildThigpen could work.

13. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Under WTF??? We ran Marshall from the HB spot in a power I and he ran a pitch play.

Uh...why in the world would we do that?

Having Thigpen in keeps a QB in the formation. He can be set wide and is a real threat to catch a pass. Or we can quickly shift from the Wildcat to a normal formation etc.

14. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I know we all want the wildcat in perfect situations but if ya dont tease the other team they never respect the true power of it? we have to take chances at times.

edit:

Sincerly,
    Wildcat Homer

15. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

This is a GREAT idea. I love it He has experience in it

Unfortunatley dan henning is a moron...

16. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

Please tell me you dint take the pic of your sig:shifty:

17. jazz

jazz Active Member

Mar 6, 2010
    were you the one who posted this idea in the sun-sentinel comments section? i remember seeing something like this last night.

in any case, if we're going to keep going back to the wildcat, we might as well try it out.

18. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    this would be the only way i would ever want to see the wildcat again! if we don't do this, i would be happy if we threw in the towel on the wildcat.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think were bound to see it. Its just a matter of when. He can throw, he can run, and we've seen in the past that he can catch. So, its just a matter of time IMO.