1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no love for Locker

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by phins3454, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Locker is great athlete with great leadership which is what this team needs on offense. Locker is like a Tim Tebow clone except more of a natural thrower and better mechanics. I just dont know why so many people on this forum (CK) are against him. Locker is the type of guy I would want to build my team around, he's a hard worker and he's fearless.

Other guys like Ryan Mallet and Cam Newton have bad personalities and questionable work ethic. The last thing we need is a Ryan Leaf or a Jamarcus Russel.

I hope Locker will be available when we pick and I hope Sparano pulls the trigger on him.

2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    You ever actually watch him play??

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The guy thought he was blind till they moved his helmet from over his eyes. That was enough for me. :lol:

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    lmfao!!!!

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    From what I heard Locker is a great guy, but from what I've seen he's a bad QB.

6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    When has anyone said Cam Newton has a bad personality and questionable work ethic? If anything I've heard the complete opposite.

gunn34, Boomer and GARDENHEAD like this.
  7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There are no shortage of skeletons in Cam Newton's closet. Stolen laptops, rumors of cheating on tests at Florida, his Dad blatantly extorting money from Mississippi State.

phins3454 likes this.
  8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    10+ traffic tickets in Gainesville.

While these aren't serious offenses, it speaks to immaturity and entitlement.

- sent from my Android via Tapatalk -

phins3454 and ToddsPhins like this.
  9. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    No interest in this guy at all. I watched hime for the first time the other night and was left wondering what the hype is about? Couldn't even complete a pass until sometime in the third.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO it's because he sucks. I think he really does but that's my two cents.

11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I was talking more about the work ethic part, which to me is pretty unfounded, but while Newton has had some issues I'm not sure you can say he has a "bad personality".

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The work ethic is good. I heard he worked pretty damn hard to get the laptop!..... and the test answers were not easy to obtain either..... definitely showed some perseverance on his part which is a characteristic that I place a lot of value in when evaluating a player.

phins3454 and mroz like this.
  13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Hahaha!!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  14. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    He's a naturally gifted black QB, so people assume that he must have a poor work ethic and relies on God-given talents.

As for him being a "bad guy", he certainly was a bad guy in Gainesville, three years ago. However, he is a human being, who is able to grow and develop. There is no evidence that he is currently a "bad guy".

Boomer likes this.
  15. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    That says nothing about his work ethic. That says that the guy wants good grades and he's gotta eat. Man, has NO-ONE ever cheated on a test?

Quite clearly, Newton has a remarkable personality. He has a smile that lights up a room and his team and coaches love him on and off the field.

sports24/7 likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I never cheated on a test, I did borrow answers once, however.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You cheating bastard!!!!!!!!

18. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I hope Newton drops to us. We better pick him if he does.

19. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    dude you made me laugh for the first time today... :)

20. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

To get asked to leave for UF; now that an accomplishment.

Seriously looking at UF police blotter......

21. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    cheating in college is a serious concern and if im a head coach I have to ask why did he cheat? and assume that he was unprepared for the test and didnt put in the effort to study like a real hard worker. those are signs of immaturity. You're agrument was terrible by the way that he cheated cause he wanted good grades. I stole a car cause I wanted a new car, see how dumb that sounds? a real man will work for it. Thats not the kind of guy I want to build my team around.

22. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Excellent points..except all the Florida stuff happened 3 years ago when he was 18 years old. I believe in a human being's ability to learn from mistakes and grow. He's been nothing but a class-act and hard-worker for the past 2 years.

dolfan22 and Nappy Roots like this.
  23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I was being fecitious.

I don't advocate him cheating. What i do advocate is KNOWING how hard he works at football, to question his work ethic and his personality, is nonsense.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Coaches adore talent and most of them will forgive a lot in the face of big time talent. And, Michael Vick smiles while body slamming dogs into concrete floors to kill them, and has enemies shot in the leg.

Cheating on tests speaks to work ethic. Getting 10+ traffic citations in college and having your father demand six figures for you to commit to a college speaks to a sense of entitlement and being above the rules. Actually so does cheating on tests, come to think of it.

Don't act like there's no reason to question these things about him. You know damn well there's more due diligence to be done on his background and character than probably any player in the Draft, and there's a lot more evidence to assume the worst than there is to assume the best. He has to prove all that stuff in his background is just totally irrelevant to what he'll do when he's given tens of millions of dollars. Otherwise it's unfair to the guys that actually keep their noses clean.

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I believe that people can grow and learn, I don't think its wise to assume they did. More often than not (far more often, actually) they do neither.

26. thejetssuck

thejetssuck Member

Oct 7, 2009
    lmfao!!!!!!!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well put.

rafael likes this.
  28. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

As a father of 21 year old son I have some experience here , and hey it wasn't all that different for me either.

My son took a couple of small mis steps in school . He went to a private HS that has a great academic and athletic tradition. He was in an AP English class that actually counted as a university credit. He turned in an assignment that bordered on plagarism.

He owned up to it , paid the price and graduated with honors , was the first HS student accepted in his chosen degree , doing game reports for Hockey Canada , interviews , all credited , still while finishing a second degree on an accelerated schedule.

Smart , sharp kid , has a lot of that it factor , but did he do things he shouldn't have done? yes , did he push things? yes , did he have a stable home with active parents that really facilatated academics? yes... still young , independent , he made mistakes .

They haven't been repititive ones which is a key imo. His mother always used to say , the stuff you try to beat out of them at 15 , you sure as hell hope they have when they are 25.

So while I value character highly , I understand there can be learning experiences along the way.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ted Bundy was a thief in college and loved by his professors. That didn't turn out so well. Just sayin.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Plagiarism is different. That's just a good way to get ahead, especially at the Miami Herald.

31. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well as a student who has or will have one degree based on writing / communication it isn't something I want him to do of course. The point is he did something ( more than one thing ) at a young age that he isn't or won't do again.

I do think kids in particualr can and do learn from mistakes, not always , not all , but certainly many do imo.