1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Jake Long,....and 18 days away?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Conuficus, Apr 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Here's my thoughts on Jake being the first guy we started to talk to about a contract. I really think this is a move to ensure that the pick is lowballed. It has to be. Long whilst an OT, is not seen by many to be a pure topnotch LT prospect. Many a team that he is projected to, would in my mind expect him to play RT, at least to start, as most have (aside form the true premiere guys).

He needs some work on his footwork, which is no different from many others.

However, the point of this thread is to espouse my views on why this guy was chosen first, as the contract guinea pig. Chances are, we chose him b/c we believe we can get him cheaper than most of the others. (Dorsey, C. Long, Ryan) Thus, it allows us to low ball the agents for the other respective players. If we started with Ryan first what would that have done; aside from causing me to find a strong beam in my house. It would have driven the price up for everyone else. As every other agent would have wanted to get their client as clsoe to the "normally higher" amount the QB position demands.

However, getting an OT's demands up front will in all likelihood mean a cheaper rate. OT's are highly valued, but not more than a passrusher at the top of the draft in monetary terms. I reckon a team would be willing to pay a higher amount right now for a premeire DE, than a OT in the Top 5 of the Draft. The price for an O-lineman did not rise that high in proportion to other positions; DE for instance, or OLB (see Calvin Pace). Actually if you look at the contracts of the O-lineman this offseason, most had reasonable guarnateed money. (I know this year, there wasn't the all time big names like last year or so)

But even Faneca's new deal wasn't nuts,.....Hutchinson signed that 7 mill a year deal two years ago to start the escalation of O-line salaries. It has taken two years to get the bar raised to 8 mill, and even then it took a team whose FO is under heavy pressure to win now. We may only be talking about 6 million or so, say......but that helps in the future and now. Asante Samuel raised the bar to 11 mil annually, one year after Nate Clements proved the weed in San fran is the best around.

Honestly, this is almost classic double talk...........why the guy with the lowest value first? Out of all the guys, the OT whose contract would be more palatable than the others given the rise of contracts at their respective positions?

It is like building a house and going to get a bid from a young and up and coming firm. they really want the deal, as it keeps the good thing going. Chances are they will low ball it a little in an effort to secure the job, and hopefully future considerations etc. Now, you take that low ball bid to the big time firm whom you really want to build the house. You say that you can it done for this much, but because the big form has the better reputation, you'd consider going eith them if they can get near the low ball offer.

Or, it is like using the Atlanta Falcons as leverage to get a sweeter deal from Huizenga,...........stop me if you've heard this one before.

2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think the Phins simply want him because he offers us more than the rest of the guys in the draft. We need help at O-line more than anywhere else, so whle C. Long, Gholston, and Ryan are going to be good pro's, we need the guy who will make our entire offense better.

I hope we finalize a deal with Jake.

PhinsRock likes this.
  3. 13Marino13

13Marino13 Old school VH rocks!

Jan 5, 2008
    Palmerton, PA
    Smokescreen

4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I hope we do finalize a deal with Jake, but better even I hope this IS a smokescreen for us to trade down the #1 to about the #3-4, then we take a Long, Dorsey or Gholston, and get another 2nd rounder to take an OL with.

5. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

As much as I like both Longs, I really hope we can trade down. The best would be to only trade down a few picks and still get one of the guys we like, and add another pick in the process. Hope springs eternal!

6. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Leverage is king in contract negotiations. Make sure the other side needs you more than you need them and you get to dictate terms.

7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

The thing is: While this class is loaded with quality offensive linemen in the first round (Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert - I've excluded Otah, because quite frankly I have him as a phenomenal bust waiting to happen on my board) there's a bit of a drop off in the 2nd round. Cherilus is strictly a right tackle and comes from a program that is somewhat notorious from producing underachieving tackles, Sam Baker has a lot of question marks and Carl Nicks comes with major character concerns (a guy that is banned from his own Pro Day wouldn't even be on my board to tell the truth). Anthony Collins might just be the only legitimate LT prospect in round 2 (no wonder we're showing a lot of interest in him), but he looks like a bit of a reach at #32 and might not fall to #58, so that's a risk.

Personally, if I were able to trade down, I'd grab Ryan Clady and never look back. Kid's the real deal and the best pure LT in this draft on my board. He might need some time to become as polished as Jake Long is right now, but down the line, I believe he will become a more dominating LT than Jake. If we do indeed trade down and don't pick Clady, I hope we're at least gauging the possibility of going up again with the acquired ammunition and grab Williams or Albert. Boy, so many possibilities. I can hardly wait.