Why Is FB a "Need" Position for Miami

22 replies

Da 'FinsDa 'FinsStaffOP
Apr 22, 2013, 12:19 AM

So, we have Javorski Lane who seems decent enough to me. And, really, are FB's that vital and is there that big a differentiation between Lane and another? Really?

Yet, I've seen several locations have FB as a position of "need" for Miami. Mel Kiper (who never seems to draft well for Miami, imo - though I like Mel, I've never thought he understood the team), even has Miami taking a FB at 3/82! Are you kidding, Mel? With RB & TE still untapped in the draft?

Just not getting this.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Apr 22, 2013, 12:23 AM

No idea. FB aren't even used that widely in the NFL anymore. Spending a 3rd round pick on one makes no sense. Prehaps, Mel is thinking of Miami getting a good shortage back, which isn't a bad idea, but a FB is unnecessary to accomplish that goal.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Apr 22, 2013, 12:29 AM

Kiper is usually massively off base when it comes to the Dolphins

Darius Bey comes to mind.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 22, 2013, 12:46 AM

"Da 'Fins wrote:

So, we have Javorski Lane who seems decent enough to me. And, really, are FB's that vital and is there that big a differentiation between Lane and another? Really?

Yet, I've seen several locations have FB as a position of "need" for Miami. Mel Kiper (who never seems to draft well for Miami, imo - though I like Mel, I've never thought he understood the team), even has Miami taking a FB at 3/82! Are you kidding, Mel? With RB & TE still untapped in the draft?

Just not getting this.

Which fullback does he give to us?

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Apr 22, 2013, 12:48 AM

To be fair, you aren't going to use the FB from Harvard as strictly a blocker if you take him. If used right, he could be as useful as any TE we take at that spot.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Apr 22, 2013, 12:49 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Which fullback does he give to us?

Kyle Juszczyk. And that's not who he is mocking to us, that's who he would take (of the players left) if he was our GM. See his rule #4 for this piece:

Most important: This is NOT A MOCK DRAFT. It's my preference for each team at each slot, Rounds 1 through 3. It's supposed to be fun, which is part of the reason why I mixed in some trades.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 22, 2013, 01:21 AM

"Stitches wrote:

Kyle Juszczyk. And that's not who he is mocking to us, that's who he would take (of the players left) if he was our GM. See his rule #4 for this piece:

Is this from the ESPN Insider that we have to pay for to see?

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Apr 22, 2013, 01:34 AM

"Stitches wrote:

To be fair, you aren't going to use the FB from Harvard as strictly a blocker if you take him. If used right, he could be as useful as any TE we take at that spot.

Don't we have Charles Clay for that role? Seems like a massive waste of a draft pick to take a H-Back. Might as well just draft a TE.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Apr 22, 2013, 09:26 AM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Don't we have Charles Clay for that role? Seems like a massive waste of a draft pick to take a H-Back. Might as well just draft a TE.

I never said the draft pick couldn't be used better, I just said he could potentially be a better pick than any TE there.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Apr 22, 2013, 09:27 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Is this from the ESPN Insider that we have to pay for to see?

Yes.

Miami Dolphins

Top needs: DE, OT, CB, WR, FB

Rd. 1 (12) RT D.J. Fluker, Alabama
Rd. 2 (42) DE Tank Carradine, Florida St.
Rd. 2 (54) CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, UConn (via Indianapolis)
Rd. 3 (77) CB David Amerson, North Carolina St.
Rd. 3 (82) FB Kyle Juszczyk, Harvard

Analysis: Fluker is a very slight reach in terms of value, but he's an immediate starter for me at right tackle, and that's a huge priority given that I'm in the midst of a transition on the O-line with Jonathan Martin moving to left tackle. There's certainly a chance Martin could struggle, so I can't afford to be bad at both tackle positions in a year in which I need Ryan Tannehill to take another step forward, given the new personnel we have in the passing game. Defensive ends in the 4-3 are scarce in this draft, so taking Carradine -- who would have gone far higher if not for a knee injury to end 2012 -- at this point is a solid get. Cornerback is a need here, so I doubled up with Wreh-Wilson and Amerson. While Amerson's stock is down after a brilliant sophomore season, when he led the nation in INTs, it's a good place to hit a need and bet on upside. Finally, I have a need at fullback and I use that extra third to get the best one in the draft in Juszczyk.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Apr 22, 2013, 10:13 AM

I think the Dolphins need to consider whittling down Jorvorskie Lane unless he's improved this off-season. Charles Clay doesn't have the same upside as a run blocker, but in practice he is pretty much as good and Lane isn't going to threaten on wheel routes 30 yards down the field or be able to play +/- 50% of his snaps in the slot.

I was kind of disappointed the Dolphins didn't consider one of the fullbacks this off-season. Greg Jones is quite good, and it's still possible Vonta Leach will be on the market.

"Not So Fast wrote:

No idea. FB aren't even used that widely in the NFL anymore. Spending a 3rd round pick on one makes no sense. Prehaps, Mel is thinking of Miami getting a good shortage back, which isn't a bad idea, but a FB is unnecessary to accomplish that goal.

I don't think this is true at all, almost all teams have a fullback. The Dolphins use quite a bit H-Back and fullback. Only a few teams don't use a lead blocker.

JIjim1New Member
Apr 22, 2013, 10:17 AM

"Stitches wrote:

I never said the draft pick couldn't be used better, I just said he could potentially be a better pick than any TE there.

Doubtful, at best. And considering we already have Lane and Clay on the roster, hardly worth mentioning. I can't even imagine a realistic situation where a FB from this draft (and most others, unless there's an extreme/unusual FB talent available) would be of greater value than a TE.

Jmo, but I have zero interest in spending a draft pick on a FB.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Apr 23, 2013, 12:55 AM

"Stitches wrote:

I never said the draft pick couldn't be used better, I just said he could potentially be a better pick than any TE there.

He is 6'1 so I doubt it. Maybe round 5 or 6 but in round 3?

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 23, 2013, 01:44 AM

"Stitches wrote:

I never said the draft pick couldn't be used better, I just said he could potentially be a better pick than any TE there.

I agree with you. He could be used in more different ways. Even run the ball sometimes, and he is a better blocker than Clay.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Apr 23, 2013, 07:09 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Is this from the ESPN Insider that we have to pay for to see?

Yes, but it was published somewhere else (I don't have Insider). I should have put a link in the original:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/21/4249744/2013-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kipers-a-draft-for-dolphins

FinaticFinaticNew Member
Apr 23, 2013, 02:27 PM

LMAO at espn insider charging people to read there propaganda, personal opinion, and fluff pieces

Apr 23, 2013, 04:29 PM

Jorvorskie Lane was not as good as people thought he was. Particularly his lead blocking. And when they tried to give him the ball in short yardage, he fumbled. A lot. And didn't even convert on some of the occasions he didn't fumble. He's great with a load of steam out in the flat after he's caught the ball...but that's about it.

I would absolutely be looking at Lonnie Pryor and Kyle Juszczyk.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Apr 23, 2013, 05:17 PM

Eh, do think Lane needs some competition, but objectively he was more or less out of football so a learning curve is to be expected.

ALalen1New Member
Apr 23, 2013, 07:46 PM

Juszczyk is a good player. Can pass pro well, can run and catch. I like him. I think more teams need to use fullbacks that can be assets in pass pro and as pass catchers.

Apr 23, 2013, 09:26 PM

Sure a FB to compete or win out would be nice (in the 5th - 7th round) but in the 3rd round? Don't see the value in that with other needs. Unless you really think you are going to feature a FB.

ALalen1New Member
Apr 23, 2013, 11:56 PM

It depends on how you're going to use him. A lot of what teams have done recently is use split-back sets like Bill Walsh did with his WCO. If you can get a guy who can catch, run and block, essentially serving as a beefed up h-back, then why not?

Apr 24, 2013, 12:29 AM

I love Juszczyk but Lonnie Pryor would be my preference for exactly that.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

JIjim1New Member
Apr 24, 2013, 07:46 AM

"alen1 wrote:

It depends on how you're going to use him. A lot of what teams have done recently is use split-back sets like Bill Walsh did with his WCO. If you can get a guy who can catch, run and block, essentially serving as a beefed up h-back, then why not?

This is a very deep draft, and in the absence of evidence that the Dolphins would indeed use the FB in a more prominent fashion I'd rather spend the draft pick elsewhere.

As to late round TE possibilities, I'd rather look at Zach Maynard and other likely late round TEs than a FB, including this guy here:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/04/23/willsons-stock-for-nfl-draft-on-the-rise/

6-5, 250, ran a 4.47 at his pro day and is a highly regarded baseball player in the Blue jays farm system. Not bad. Sounds like Les Brown physical ability with real football experience.