1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I am not upset about this loss

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Samphin, Sep 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

So, I was scrambling to see the game tonight on account of not owning a television any longer. I tried multiple computer streams which led to a bunch of swearing, flipping off of random objects and a lovely virus from following a bad link.

Eventually I just threw my hands up, went over to my friend's house (his place is always messy, so I try to avoid it) and watched the game over there.

And while it sucks to be on the losing end of a game that is shown on national tv. A game that will cause our rivals to mock us and laugh at us amongst themselves on their boards and on the radio by pundits nationwide, it simply doesn't bother me.

And I am not sure why. Maybe my fandom is waning from years of being pounded into submission with this team. Perhaps the culture of losing has permeated so deeply throughout the Miami organization that it has started to seep into the brain of this fan. Or maybe my priorities have changed as I have gotten older (and hopefully wiser).

Gone are the days of me obsessing over every little tidbot of information. No longer do I even care to look at injury reports, watch NFL highlight shows or even listen to sports guys discuss football on the radio. These staples of my NFL regular season diet just seem bloated and unneeded to me now. In a way it is sad, but in many other ways, it makes me happy that I no longer allow a game (and in many ways a SILLY game) effect me as much as it used to.

When I stop and look back at my Miami Dolphin's fandom, I remember very few specific memories. I remember Dan Marino and Drew Bledsoe in an epic shootout to start the 1994 season. I remember the fake spike, Ricky running to daylight to snap the Jets winning streak and Greg Camarillo giving us our only thrill from a miserable 2007 campaign.

But I also remember the Buffalo Bills kicking our teeth in during the AFC Championship game in Miami. I remember Marino's last game, The Monday Night Massacre, the Ravens pissing on our field and Ricky abandoning us. In fact, if I made a chart of memorable moments to me from Miami, I am afraid that the bad would probably outweigh the good.

Maybe that says more about me than the team itself. Perhaps I tend to dwell on the negative and not the positive. I fully admit to being a pessimist and expecting the worst when it comes to the Dolphins, but can you blame me? Have I (we) not been conditioned to be let down time and time again?

So maybe it is me, and not the team. But when I start to examine my other sports teams that I root for, I come to a haunting and disheartening conclusion. My Los Angeles Dodgers won a championship when I was six years old. Kirk Gibson's iconic homer off of Dennis Eckersley is one of my earliest, and favorite sports memories. My Los Angeles Lakers are perennial contenders. They have won multiple titles throughout my lifetime and have provided me with enough good memories to fill a scrapbook with. From Robert Horry's dagger against the Kings, to Fisher .4 miracle against the Spurs, all the way up to present day as the reigning champions.

Hell, even my Los Angeles Kings made it to the finals before being punted by the Canadians several years ago. Gretzky broke records as a Kings player and they were respected.

The point is, the Miami Dolphins have yet to play in a championship game in my lifetime that I can remember. They have yet to come close to playing in one since I was a young boy and now that I am in my late 20's, I am starting to think and feel as tough I shouldn't hold my breath for it to happen anytime soon.

0-2 is certainly not the death of a season, but it pretty much assures me that this will not be the year that Miami does any type of damage. And you know what? I guess I somewhat expect that at this point. You could even say that I am okay with that, and the Dolphin's organization has no one to blame but themselves for my gorwing indifference to their product.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Familiarity breeds contempt

Samphin likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Me too...me too. Courageous post and I think the psychology of most fans is detrimental to their well being.

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm devastated on the loss tonight. Many losses hurt but this one was the most painful worst than the Monday night miracle.

5. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Not to brag but I've got everything going perfect for me in life right now and this one is depressing as hell!

I guess we're all just different types of fans. More or less emotion towards the game, not that it makes us better or worse.

I do get what you're saying. I put everything into my favorite sports teams. It's been a life long religion for me.

Tone_E, SICK and Big E like this.
  6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I get where you're coming from Sam, I think so anyway. I try to watch every game and usually cheer hard for the team throughout the contest, sometimes get emotional. I'm pissed off when we lose. But I get over it in less than 5 minutes after and just have no interest in dwelling on or bemoaning the losses afterward at all. It's past, lets' move on. I got better things to do than dwell on a loss that I had no control over. Next weekend I'll get excited to watch them again and plan a way to do so if possible. But in the meantime, just agonizing, nitpicking and speculating over small and superfluous details seems to make no sense to me. I used to not post at all during the season up until a few yrs ago. Because to me the short term ups and downs are not worth obsessing over and it is better to wait and analyze the season as a whole. Also reading the knee jerk reactions from week to week made my neck hurt from shaking my head in disgust. Now I am back to reading them some, but at least now neck massages are cheap.:wink2:

7. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    We were 0-2 at this point last year, and at that time looked a lot worse, but i feel the Atlanta game and this game resemble the Jets and Cardinals game, but the opposite. The Falcons game resembled the Atlanta game, as we were done early, this game, just like the jet game, we took down to the final seconds, and the same it ended with the same results, Chad Pennington throwing a INT in the endzone to end the game. Now Week 3 is where we brought back the wild cat and that changed everything, but still, i feel like we are a better team than last year. I truly believe that we will win next week. I mean we held our own against the Colts, a very good team. I mean we have a lot to work on, but we are not as far off as people think. This team is no 0-16 team believe me, and last nights game proved that.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  8. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    I sure hope we can hold Rivers to under 500 yds passing. He has to be licking his chops after watching that game last night.

9. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I am so pissed off about this loss I almost don't want to watch another game this season...

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    So far the Dolphins have ruined the entire first two weeks of the season for me.

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    and next on our show......Dr Phil speaks with Christian hookers. They are spreading the gospel by spreading their legs

I hear you. It is a bit tough. To build a championship team you generally need five years. Sometimes as little as three. So far, we have put together an offensive line, defensive line and cornerback tandem. We still need a playmaking receiver, inside linebackers, safeties, a playmaking outside linebacker and maybe a QB if Henne cant do it. Theoritically we could get all of those next year if we had an unbelievable draft and free agency. More than likely we still have two years to go. i think you'll see your championship soon so try not to slit your wrists before then

12. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's funny you posted this Sam, because I posted something similar on the other site before seeing this.

I too do not feel as upset as I normaly do after a loss. Maybe it's because certain things have changed in my life, or that I somewhat expected it to happen.

That said, I see this team on the right path. I can honestly say the only thing holding this team back is talent. With inept past coaching staffs and horrible Front Office personnel, we couldn't always say that here in Miami.

Samphin likes this.
  13. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    This game was brutal because it really did crush my hopes for this season, and here's why:

I don't think you can win in this league today with any sort of consistency by using the ball-control/play good defense model unless you have an elite defense (and by elite, I'm talking 2000 Ravens, or the kind of unit that comes around once every two decades). The rules in today's game simply favor the vertical passing game too much.

Last night's game was a perfect example of why this model won't work in the league today. The offense, aside from questionable playcalling during a 5 minute period at the end of the half and the end of the game, played about as well as you could have possibly expected. In other words -- they peaked, maxed out... whatever you want to call it. Can you reasonably expect the offense to have that kind of production on 3rd down on a weekly basis? I'm not looking at the numbers right now, but clearly they're not going to continue to be that efficient on 3rd down for the remainder of the year. The margin for error with this offense is just too small. You cannot consistently generate the 10, 11, 12+ play drives that go the length of the field. You need to generate the big chunks of yardage, and aside from mis-direction this offense doesn't have the players to execute those type of plays.

So in short, this team basically peaked on offense last night and still lost. That's what hurts. Yeah, they started 0-2 last year and found a way to win the division. However, last night it was again painfully obvious that this team lacks the offensive explosion necessary to keep pace with the elite offenses in football and also lacks the elite defense to make up for that fact.

In the NFL there's no place worse than being consistently mediocre -- and it appears that's exactly where this team/organization is headed.

14. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I don't think I can ever feel less devestated. In fact, it gets worse as the years pass. I find myself being consumed by MIA more and more on a yearly basis. I'm obsessed with them. I can't help it.

Today is so painful for me, but I still smile. I'm usually an upbeat person at work, and I am still today, but it is difficult for me do that. :)

Oh man....

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Oh dont worry, we'll shut down the pasing game but **** up some other way.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Eh, there are all kinds of fans. Some can enjoy the game and move on win or lose. Not me. I'm depressed and can't stop thinking about all the little things we did to throw the game away. Perhaps even throw away the season...

17. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I have not been so devastated over a loss in a long time. I *almost* wish we would have had the crap kicked out of us instead.

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is curious Dr Z, after getting our teeth kicked in last week this week showed we are a good football team, if anything I'm more hopeful than I was about the 09 Dolphins.

I can handle a close loss, I cannot handle just being crushed.

19. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Well, I did say almost.

It's just frustrating to be so close to a HUGE win.

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    LMFAO. That is classic.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    not to be the ******* of the group, but I think people need to see this for what it is, an event we in little/ no way play a part in. I don't know maybe its the way I was raised, but I really could give a rats *** about what other fans will say. I care we lost, but to the point to where im sad, no, not really. I've been conditioned to accept losing as a part of life I guess, but to be thankful you got to compete. If my teams win, which they don't most often, then I celebrate, if they lose, then I take it for what it is and move on.

MrClean likes this.
  22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, that was a needed win, now we are 0-2 and bringing up the rear of the AFC East heading into San Diego.

But for the first time I had the feeling we were seeing what the offense could be this season, almost mid 80's Redskins with the Hogs.

Two games we got the Offense and Special Teams straightened out, now we will see what the Staff can do with that leaky, creaky, Defense, because JP and JT aren't doing much and Merling is inconsistent.

They'll get it done though.

23. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

That is kind of my point. I am NOT going to slit my wrists over this team. In years past, a loss like this may have affected my entire week, if not longer. But as Hardkore alluded too on top of my point, I guess you come to a point where losing other things means way much more than a football game. Am I a Dolphins fan? Absolutely, do I expect them to lose just about every week? Absolutely. Do I WANT them to win each week? Absolutely.

The point is, I don't see this loss as devastatingly bad in the long un. I don't think it will be burned into my memory like some of the other losses I mentioned previously. It is what it is, a loss to the Colts in what looks to be a mediocre (at best) season for the Miami Dolphins. Wake me when the script changes...

I tend to agree (you complete me, afterall). I think the coaching staff is a good one, unless they keep losing, than the players will start to tune out the barking and cheerleading of Sparano and them resent him. But overall, I think the coaching staff is putting these players in a position to win, they just aren't executing.

There really hasn't been an instance of throwing on three conesecutive downs while Ricky Williams is sitting there ala Wanny versus New England. In fact, the playcalling has been pretty solid. Ginn drops two touchdown passes, Fasano with another. And even in week one, the WildPat play to Ginn was the right call, just poorly executed, as was the drive the ended with Fasano getting his skull caved in while fumbling.

Upgrades and certain positions combined with the proper coaching will do wonders, but I am going to take the wait and see approach from here on out.

Exactly. Losing is a part of life...especially if you are a Dolphins fan. It could be worse (Lions) and it could be a heck of a lot better (Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers), but in the end, its football and we all have more important things to worry about...well, most of us.

24. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I hear you. I might have been projecting there. I might be telling myself not to slit my wrists :lol: Still, being older, I am looking for the ring. We are not winning the SB this year. Too many holes. Next year might be our first legitimate shot. I would like us to compete for the AFC East title but I dont have any other expectations. It still hurts though to lose a game, against a good team, that you had in the palm of your hand. We are now at the point where we just about have to sweep our division. If it happens great, if not hopefully we get those impact players we need next year to really compete for the big dance

25. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    So basically when the Jags move to LA in a few years, your hopping on their bandwagon? :tongue2: :hi5: