1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why get rid of Thigpen???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RevRick, May 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I have read a lot of posts in numerous threads suggesting, requesting, and some even dictating that the Dolphins should trade Tyler Thigpen - and supposedly keep Pat White and Chad Pennington as backup quarterbacks. Some of this I could understand, but....

With Pennington being the age he is and coming off of his third shoulder surgery on his throwing shoulder, and White being by and large either a non-factor or a distracting factor in the games in which he played, is it in the best interest to count on either of them for the backup if (and I fervently hope it never happens) Henne is out with an injury for any length of time? In my opinion, that weakens the team markedly to have two question marks at backup QB in the league as things now work out week to week. Therefore I don't think we can count on either one of them as either a long-term (as in present on the team for more than one year, which creates a need for another QB to develop) solution for the #2 quarterback as it now stands. In a short term situation, it may be that either could fill in part of a game, but after that I don't see it as being a viable solution.

Thigpen, on the other hand, has a relatively good body of work to look at on what was at that time an abysmal team.. The 2008 Chiefs....

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Los
    14 11 230 420 54.8 2,608 6.2 18 12 26 162 76.0 62 386 6.2 3 6 2

Now, these are not stellar numbers, but given the team on which he was playing, and the fact that he accounted for 2,994 yards of offense with that team, one would have to think that his prospects with a better team and adequate practice time would be better. I would think that it would probably be much better than what we saw last year in Pittsburg, and additionally, just as a matter of conjecture based on the comparison from last year, probably better quarterback play than we could expect from White even in White's second year. Throw in the fact that he is far more substantially built, and keeping Thigpen is, again, to me, a no-brainer. Trading him is not a good move on the part of the Dolphins.

Neither is making room for four quarterbacks on the team roster a good idea, unless White can demonstrate both a willingness and a capacity to do more with his athleticism than doggedly (an admirable trait, admittedly) insist on being a quarterback only. That athleticism is his value to the team, whatever it may be. It was not adequately enough demonstrated last year that he has the arm to be an NFL quarterback, nor the physique to take the pounding of a spread quarterback/running back. With physical training, he could become strong enough and durable enough to be a 'slash' type player, but then who does the team release to keep him in that role, which has yet to be a proven commodity with White?

I would think that it would be an intelligent move for White to embrace a multi-faceted role on the team to remain on the team and be productive. We do not know if Pennington will be back next season (or even with the team during the season this year!) If White can prove to be more multi-dimensional, and hence, of more value to the team, that is all well and good, and he might have a bigger role in the team's future than it presently appears to those who doubt it at present. If he either chooses not to embrace that role, or cannot be productive in that role, then after this year, I would not see a likelihood of his being retained. As a counterpoint, it may be that Thigpen could enhance his value to the team immeasurably simply by being on stand by and proving himself even more valuable with some occasional duty in games already firmly in hand or hopelessly out of hand. Should that be the case, a trade at that time, should it be deemed necessary, could be far more beneficial to the team than one at this time.

2. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I hope we keep thigpen we could be in trouble withot him if henne goes down.

Typing on phone again excuse the lazy parts.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    right there with you bro
    we have no idea what we can still get out of pennington and we know we aren't getting any quality from pat white
    it is a necessity to keep tyler thigpen as the backup qb. :up:

4. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

Not to mention the wildcat he has more experience in that then wHITE bETTER ARM too... Thigpen is alot better in my opinion ooo well well see at preseason

dolfan7171 and the 23rd like this.
  5. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I was happy to see the draft come and go and Thigpen still on our roster.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    On what planet is a second round draft pick in next year's draft more important than a quality 2nd QB? It makes no sense to me.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    you realize thigpen had tony gonzalez, larry johnson, and Dwayne Bowe on the 2008 chiefs right? they certainly weren't abysmal on the offensive side of the ball. He was playing with the best TE of all time, and Bowe played pretty out of his mind that year.

In fact, over 2100+ of Thigpens yards and 16 of the 18 tds were to Bowe and Gonzalez alone. Most QBs could have done what Thigpen did for them that year. The chiefs knew that.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The only reason I can think of for getting rid of Thigpen is he's a really good QB, IMHO it's kinda sad he isn't starting for someone, but I have no problem with him being stashed away on our bench.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend RevRick:
    couldn't agree w/ you more :yes: you're right on the money w/ this one
    :thanx:

the Thigpen is a Keeper

dolfan7171 and Larryfinfan like this.
  10. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I'd rather trade Penny. There's not much upside in Penny---he's an oft-injured QB with a weak arm who's on the downside of his career. There's a lot of upside in Thigpen.

11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It would be extremely foolish to get rid of Thigpen IMO. He's clearly better than White and even Pennington at this point in his career.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yup, I agree. I stated it in another thread about Thigpen... If a team is desperately searing for a QB before the season, I'd much rather deal them Pennington over Thigpen. Thigpen has more value to us going forward than Pennington does as a player. Lets face it, after this year, Pennington probably wont be here. That is exactly the reason to keep Thigpen around. He's a serviceable backup, who could probably start for a few teams in this league, Id much rather have him as our backup at this point if need be. If we move thiggy, and penny packs it in after the year, or goes elsewhere, what are we going to do then for a backup? Sure, we can hope by then that White has sort of developed into something that resembles an NFL QB, and then find another backup, but I'd much rather keep the sure thing in Thigpen at this point.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I would get rid of Pat White a hundred times out of a hundred before I'd choose to get rid of Thigpen.

14. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Rev Rick, I appreciate what you are saying, but the bottom line is its a numbers game. We don't get to determine who they'll keep. Would I rather dump White and keep the other two? Yes indeed. But if the coaches are determined to keep White, then its between Penny and Thigpen. If they choose Pennington, then we have to hope that TT's trade value is as high as possible.

The best way for that to happen is for him to be lights out in Preseason.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because we are still going to run the WildCat and Thiggy isn't a WC type of weapon?

Pat White however, is.

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    C'mon, Padre...Pat White is a .22 in a .50 caliber chamber. :wink2:

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Don't make me break out the Steve Martin line about .22's from "My Blue Heaven"...:wink2:

NaboCane likes this.
  18. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Thigpen is more athletic and a faster runner than Pat White.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That will be for the Staff to decide.

20. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ok. Ok. Ok. No.

I'll accept "better QB prospect." Better athlete? never.