1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Dion Jordan will be Legitimate Comeback Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, May 10, 2016.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...itimate-comeback-player-of-the-year-candidate

Galant posted this in the Jordan Hints Thread, but I think it deserves it's own thread. Reason being it's a fantastic article that shows you how he could fit perfectly in Vance Joseph's 4-3 under defense.

Complete with gifs of Dion's abilities are on display with insight into how he might fit as DE for Wake, then replace Misi on 3rd downs.

IMO, he's going to be reinstated and he's going to make a strong case for keeping him on this roster...

the 23rd and Galant like this.
  2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's a good article, but I don't think Miami's going to be running a 4-3 Under. Adam Gase has said it's going to be a Wide-9 defense, and the signing of Mario Williams and the hiring of Jim Washburn seem like pretty strong evidence of such.

That said, the role Dion Jordan could play in that defense isn't much different from what Ian wrote in his article.

Disgustipate and Pandarilla like this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The leo role is all some of us have ever wanted, Ro are you saying in this defense that can't happen?

4. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It can happen in a wide-9 look, it's precisely what I was talking about in the Club thread and why I think Jordan would be a fit for that wide-5 DE spot. It gets him 1-on-1 matchups against a tackle or a back, and he's got the ability to retrace his steps in run defense. The scheme, at least the way Jim Schwartz ran it was NOT blitz heavy, at all. But, there are some blitz opportunities and you can drop Jordan into coverage if you're bringing a LB or S. You could probably carve out a coverage role for him in some packages, but IMO, based on what he showed well doing so far is why I think he's best suited for the DE spot.

Here I'm simply saying that the defense Ian Wharton thinks Miami is going to run, is not what Miami's going to run.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I don't think there is any room for debate on this.

Dion Jordan has the ability to come into 2016 and completely take the league by storm. He can be every bit and more...the player Miami envisioned when they drafted him.

or.

He can continue to milk what ever money he has left from his signing bonus, and disappear into obscurity. 10 years from now...he can hop on the net..."if he can afford it"...and look back at the NFL's biggest draft busts and see his name there. Right there. Dion mother ****ing Jordan...all world talent.....all world loser.

Thing is...with Dion Jordan, its not going to be the coaching...its not going to be his team mates...its going to be him. As damn simple as it gets. He wants it...and works his *** off for it...the keys to the kingdom are all his.

Until Dion shows up....and proves he is willing to be a god damned wolf instead of a fat lazy sheep.....that's all he is....

A fat lazy sheep.

GARDENHEAD, resnor, Puka-head and 4 others like this.
  6. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Why Dion Jordan Simply CAN NOT be comeback player OTY.....

Dion wasn't injured, or just struggling last year. He was suspended. Did nothing significant prior. So forget any comeback awards. Aside from that, He's been out of football and out of shape, smoking God knows what. All we know is that the NFL was too big for him and he flamed out, has yet to re-appear. Pandarilla you're great for this forum but you gotta stop hanging out with Dion.:pointlol:

Pandarilla likes this.
  7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    No can do, I'm already planting this year's harvest for the First annual Dion Jordan semi-celebrity frisbee golf tournament here in Hawaii. We've already got invites sent to Billy Zane, Carrot top and Teller. Proceeds will go directly to my charity Panda's Kids, which help underprivileged youths in Humboldt County, CA. Kids who can't even afford to start their own grows. The charity focuses on training as well as money for hydroponics and the occasional cow patty. Our motto is "every child deserves a shot at the high life!"

edit: just to clarify, when I say "kids", I mean 28 yrs and older...it's just emotionally, well, they're like children really...and when I say "charity", well, perhaps I've said too much.

8. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    ℓмfασ

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Comeback from what exactly?

10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
  11. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    cbrad likes this.
  12. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I really cant disagree with any of this.

I dont believe that Philbin and company had a freakin clue how to use this guy. With his athletic ability he should be hard to keep off the field. If he gets back in, I am assuming on faith that the new staff has a vision for him.
    Just never seemed that he was all that interested in even being here. At this point it's all on him.

RachelD and Pandarilla like this.
  13. RachelD

RachelD Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Seattle WA
    I think what happened was that he was set on being drafted by Philly. When that didnt happen he decided to just be lazy, especially after having a "players coach" in Kelly. Going from Kelly to Philbin was probably a culture shock and he couldnt take him seriously. It is not an excuse for a professional athlete to act like a baby, but i think it had alot to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Pauly likes this.
  14. Vision

Vision Member

Mar 6, 2010
    You can run the 4-3 Over and play Wide-9. It's more what Detroit does, rather than what Seattle does, but Seattle adjusted what they did recently as well.

[​IMG]

15. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    All I can say is I commend all of your blind faith. My opinion is, he has as much chance of showing up for Training Camp as Bigfoot does.

16. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Soon as they run his way in practice he will be benched.. Philbin is not to blame for his lack of playing time, he is weak and tried to bulk up and got caught... He isn't tough and will get ran over... Sry

Finster likes this.
  17. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    [video=twitter;729128505544343552]https://twitter.com/tareqazim/status/729128505544343552[/video]

[video=youtube;jpT6uqM9GKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpT6uqM9GKk[/video]

Article from Phinmaniacs

"Last week we received some insight as to the whereabouts of suspended Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan via his agent Doug Hendrickson, who suggested the former Oregon standout could become the player of the year.

Now a week later, a video was released from Empower Concept showing Jordan in the middle of training, which can be seen [above].

Jordan, who was suspended indefinitely by the NFL after he failed his third drug test, was drafted by the Dolphins in 2013 with the third overall pick, and he was expected to become the next Jason Taylor. Instead, Jordan's contributions have been minimal since he's been a Dolphin, only managing to get 46 tackles and 3 sacks in 26 games. Since then, Jordan has apparently been working hard to get back into football shape, and he's doing it with someone who - as described by Jordan's agent - is the "best trainer," and he goes by the name of Tareq Azim.

Azim has worked with several NFL players, including the now (presumably) retired running back Marshawn Lynch. Working with "Beast Mode," they worked together to not only get Lynch back to form after his hernia surgery, but to make him stronger than ever before. He was introduced to Lynch by his mentor Tom Cable, who trusted Azim to get the star running back in the game. Now he's working with Jordan, and Azim recently said that he’s “happy to announce” that Jordan “will solidify his presence to the world.”

If Jordan is reinstated, Miami has said that if he wants to play football, they'll welcome him back, and Jordan's talent is undeniable. He can run with tight ends and can rush the passer effectively. Presumably his poor practices are what led to Joe Philbin not using him more in games, as it appeared that Jordan made an impact of some kind when he got to play in games.

No one is counting on Jordan yet, which is the smart thing to do as all Commissioner Roger Goodell would have to do is say "no" and talking about his comeback would be moot. However, it's clear Jordan is working hard to get back, and any contribution the former first rounder can make would obviously be more than welcome."

This story was written by Luis Sung. Follow him on Twitter: @FLSportDebater"

18. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Did the Beast ever play after his hernia surgery?

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    video not working bud...

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Works on my pc. Try turning it off and on again.

21. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    You know you have a player issue when;

him working out is news...

I'll take notice when he's not playing like a middle round pick.

22. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, I agree - the picture above I think is a good representation of what Miami will be running in base looks under Vance Joseph.

There's a video that's been circulating the boards where Jim Schwartz gives a history of his defensive scheme. He and Jim Washburn developed it with the Titans as a way to stop the Colts outside stretch zone plays back when they had Edgerrin James. Schwartz actually calls the DE that is away from the TE (the LDE in the picture above) a "Wide-5" even though they're aligned in a ghost 7 or ghost 9 look.

23. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Is it me or does that look a little vulnerable to inside runs? Looks like it puts more stress on the linebackers.

24. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    It worked for me too. Was a simple video, not much telling actually.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you have someone like Ndamukong Suh in the middle and you can get better play from Phillips/Mitchell at the 2iNT spot, then I think Miami will be alright. Jim Schwartz talked a lot about how when he had Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee his problem was that he couldn't maintain gap discipline, much like Jordan Phillips. Tennessee found a solution by letting Haynesworth crash the A gap to his side and it'd force the O-line to either double him or he'd blow up the play. With Miami, if you do that, you give Suh a 1-on-1 matchup and Kiko Alonso, IMO, is fast enough to play off of them to play whichever gap Phillips/Mitchell aren't in.

I think where this defense is susceptible is on power and counter plays, especially if your DEs lose at the point of attack. Because of the wider front the LBs have to make a faster read, so a good back like Adrian Peterson can make you pay if they cut back. One plus for Miami is that this defense calls for the safety who plays in the box, and both Reshad Jones and Isa Abdul-Quddus have experience doing that, and doing it well, to maintain responsibility for the C gap. Jones is a superb tackler and from what I've seen of IAQ in Detroit, he's pretty good too, so that might help as both of them, especially IAQ, have great speed.

I'd say if Miami gets good play from the LB unit and they stay healthy (a big if with all of three of Misi, Jenkins and Alonso) the run defense should take a jump in the right direction this year, especially if Jordan Phillips is able to add something. I've seen CK and a few others mention that this defense could help him there and he's already a decent pass-rusher, so getting him to play with his motor fully revved all the time would be a big plus.

cuchulainn and Brasfin like this.
  26. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Honestly, if Phillips improves his play, I'd imagine we'd have a top 5 DL in the league. There's just too much talent already on this line and that's not even counting Phillips.

People are sleeping on our defense, but if we're lucky injury-wise (knock on wood), the potential is off the charts, IMO.

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    True, I mean when you are pleasantly surprised that he's not a flabby piece of **** you kind of have an issue with a player. When that guy is a top 3 pick its inexcusable.

Finster and ckparrothead like this.
  28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Even if he comes back I would look for the Dolphins to sell him off to the 49ers at their earliest convenience. They have that ability now that Jason Jones and Andre Branch are in the fold.

29. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    #overachiever??? LOL

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He doesn't even necessarily look good in those videos.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  31. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    This is kind of the issue long term, I mean say he comes out and beasts for us in the preseason, starts playing well. Do you start talking contract or do you get on the phone and try to get something for him while he's playing well because you still don't believe in him. We invested a lot in him so we certainly should try to get something, anything, out of him but at this point I don't see how we can trust him long term.

32. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    You trade him and then cross your fingers and hope he doesnt make you regret it.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007

Miami has him for two years. If he starts beasting, then you wait until his contract is over.

Pandarilla likes this.
  34. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    The point is that you wonder if you can trust him not to do drugs for the next 2 years.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Exactly, which is why you let his contract run out before talking about a new contract.

36. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Dion Jordan should be the official test for delusional Miami Dolphins' fans. I imagine it working like a sliding scale. The more you believe in DJ being the next Jason Taylor, the more delusional you are. Since entering the league, he has done nothing to prove that he could even an average player - zilch. You can show me all the workout clips you want. You can show me clips of him making a flashy play in Oregon, fantastic. But what does any of that have to do with him in a Miami Dolphins uniform? Yes, I know that I am forgetting those memorable Oregon moments - most likely because they HAPPENED IN 2012 and beyond. In sports, that is an eternity. When he did play, he did not produce. What would lead you to believe that a guy with 1 start and 2 sacks in two years will suddenly be the comeback player of the year? Guys, not playing football does not make you better at playing football.

Sometimes, you just need to admit you made a mistake and move on. Honestly, simply wanting to have this guy around makes you no better than Jeff Ireland. It was a bad pick at the time, and it is an even worse pick right now. We need to stop getting guys with a bunch of "ifs," and DJ is the poster child for this notion. "If DJ played LB," "If DJ added more muscle mass," "If DJ focused," "If DJ had better coaching..." The ifs go on and on. I would much rather have a guy with a small skill set of things he "does" and work with him to do those things to the best of his ability. And the most important "does" quality that I am looking for is a guy who truly does care.

We are the Raider when they had JaMarcus Russell. The whole league knew he was a bust, but they kept on giving him chances.

37. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    OR, trade while he's worth something, so you don't get screwed out of getting at least something out of the 2 picks that were wasted on him.

finfansince72 likes this.
  38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He would need to play really well for one year to be worth anything. Unless you want to trade him for another player who is one too much water in one day away from being banned from the NFL.

39. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    DJ is never going to be worth much, because his status as an "on the brink" player won't change, but if, as 72 suggested, he plays really well in the preseason, that may be the last time you can get anything from him.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If he plays really well during the season, he will be worth more. He would show that he is clean for an entire season and is productive. That is when you can get the most out of him.