1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Boldin didn't make sense and Greg Olsen might

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Why Boldin didn't make sense and Greg Olsen might
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I knew they werent doing Boldin for a 3rd....this FO covets draft picks, and as this could be labeled a missed opportunity, I didnt want them to trade away that draft pick...it is a early 3rd round pick, it is not out the realm to find a starter with that pick....had we had the end of the 3rd I would have said do it...

I like Quan, he is tough, but I agree I'm not sure he is the number one type...wrong side of 30, with injuries, injuries compound after 30....just do this position right please and go get Marshall...I just don't get why they don't?? the attitude?? if you are afraid that a 26 year old is going to run or ruin your team, then that doesn't say much for you as a coach, or a front office...

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I stopped reading after it said Boldin is not a #1, that's ridiculous

Silverphin and jdang307 like this.
  4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    we are going to see that for sure, cuz if Mason doesn't sign back with Balt, Quan is going to be the head honco, catching them doubles every Sunday, with not much at all helping him after him...that WR core might be one of the worst in football....besides Mason...having Rice helps though...

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Boldin sure as heck would have been OUR #1 if we had gotten him, but all this is water under the bridge.

There have been several threads about Olsen, seems to me if he's lasted this long in FA either we're waiting for his price to drop, or we're (the triumvirate) not interested in him. Presumably because of his poor blocking from what I've read in here.

6. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

He was the head honcho in AZ before Fitzgerald got there and he had over 100 catches that year

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Boldin is not a #1 and you will see it this season
    he gets exposed in Baltimore

8. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Lmao, OK...

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    laugh all you want but boldin now has to be the main guy in a wr corps that sucks. he will be double teamed all day and pushed around. boldins better days are behind him and once again balt patched the position. if they really wanted to fix their problems at wr they should have went out and spent for brandon marshall instead of going after an aged boldin who is on the down slide of his career. watch boldin go out and get hurt and it will be all for nothing. that is what i expect to happen. ravens are dumb investing in a 30 year old wr and expecting him to carry them.

10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Heres where I think some of the confusion lies with Boldin...

If you are of the opinion that a #1 receiver has to be a vertical speed threat that breaks a game open...Larry Fitzgerald was much more that type of a receiver then Boldin. But, heres where some of the stats that KC uses, that doesn't quite capture the whole picture...

Why would Arizona use Fitzgerald and Boldin in the same way, running the same type of routes? Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver in football...it makes sense that Boldins numbers would be more reflective of a possesion reciever....but...go back and look at his numbers BEFORE Fitzgerald....

11. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    It's over and done now, but I'd have traded our third and sixth rounder and I'm sure the Cards would have gone for it. As you point out it's an early third, much higher than the Ravens third. You talk about MAYBE finding a starter with our third, but Boldin would have been a DEFINITE starter at #1 WR for us. Is he really a #1 WR? Closer to a really good #2, but still better than what we have at #1 right now.

Wrong side of 30? The guys is 29 right now. He has had some minor injury issues, but if nothing like what Ronnie has been through. No reason to think he won't be productive for another 4-5 years, even if he misses a couple games here and there.

As for Marshall? He would cost us at least our second and fourth rounders, and has already been in enough legal trouble to send up a lot of red flags. His attitude sucks and once he gets his money I worry it will get worse. At least Boldin kept playing hard even while wanting a new contract.

Not that this debate means much, as I can't see our FO showing any interest in Marshall unless he could be had for a third rounder. Yeah. :lol:

BTW, I don't see the need to get Olsen unless the Bears only want a third rounder. Might as well stick with Fasano and draft Graham though.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    he did yep ur right, when he was Marshall age and injury free...we will see....will he be good, yes....is there a chance he could do the opposite....yep!!, he is actually playing better defenses now too, dont forget that, other than seeing Seattle, SF, and STL 6 times a year...

13. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I love how as soon as a guy sniffs 30, they got from #1s, to out of the league basically in some peoples heads

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed seriously why cant Miami just do this?? can you imagine Dansby, Clark, trade for Marshall for the 12, maybe sign a 1 yr fix at NT like Jamal Williams (to go along with Soliai), and then you have the draft still....you are talking about something in the making bro..

I think thats why Miami didnt go after him too, in the end it was worth it, a high 3rd rounder, plus 7+ a year for 4 more years.....listen dont s**t yourself Miami could have had the guy, they didnt want him for that price...

15. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    That's serious money right there.

You already made Dansby the highest paid LB in the NFL. Whereever Marshall goes, he'll become the highest paid WR in the NFL.

Clark is bound to sign for amongst the top 5 paid safeties in the NFL. And then you wanna sign a NT too.

I understand the no cap thing, but the day that the cap gets installed again (possibly being before the 2011 season), we'd be screwed. You're dream scenario is just that, a dream. It's unrealistic.

16. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I would absolutely love to see Greg Olsen in aqua and orange. Not sure what Chicago is asking for though for the former first round pick. Speculation is NE might be a front runner given they have three second round picks to play with. So, maybe a second rounder? Hope the FO is mulling this one over.

Tin Indian likes this.