1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will wear the Defensive headset on the field?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jackson, Apr 5, 2008.

Who will wear the Defensive Headset for the fins?

1. Jason Taylor

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. Joey Porter

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Channing Crowder

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Will Allen

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Yeremiah Bell

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Jason Allen

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Someone Else

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    If ZT was on the team still i think it without question goes to him but sadly he is a Cowboy. So who will it be?

JT?
    Porter?
    Crowder?
    Will Allen?
    Yeremiah Bell?
    Jason Allen?
    Someone else?
    So what do you think?

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I voted for Crowder simply b/c he'll be in the middle. I know he's crazy and didn't know where London was, but I think he's the most football savvy for the system we'll be running. Obviously, if we draft an ILB or Porter moves inside, they probably wear it over Crowder.

3. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007

I actually take Jason Taylor right now. Would have been ideal for Zach to have it but hes gone. Crowder isnt my favourite player because he has not been as good as i had hoped. Porter may not be on every defensive down which beggers the question: Doesnt the player with the headset have to be out there every play or can the set be changed to another player?

4. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i think the only one player can have it, if they go off the field no one else can wear one since it is only there helmet with the radio in it

so say crowder has it, and he goes out for a couple plays, no one will be able to have the radio since crowders helmet has the radio

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I would think our headset in the helmet guy would be JT. he's the leader of the defense, and probably has the most knowledge out there

6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    They won't give it a player who will be on the line, I think Joey will have the radio in his helmet this season.

PS Channing does know where London is he said he was joking.

7. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

from what i've heard, the idea is to give the receiver to the guy that would normally call the plays. the examples given were the ILB or safety that calls the play. the issue with the safety would be distance in relaying the info and that with either there is still gonna be some hand signals on the field. that said, i'm not sure i feel comfortable with Crowder calling the plays just yet and we really are unsettled at either safety spot so my guess is that in the short term it will be Torbor.

jason8er likes this.
  8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think I'd want to see Porter, Crowder, or Jason Allen calling the plays. I picked JT, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone else when the season starts. I'm glad they are finally giving the defense the same benefit as the offense.

9. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    JT........until Chris Long gets a year under his belt, becomes defensive captain, and JT retires or is traded. :wink2:

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    No, that's not how it works. You can have as many helmets as you want, but only one helmet may be on the field at a time. So, if Crowder goes out, then another person gets to wear one. They'll probably identify several people, and they'll all have two helmets. And change out as necessary.

I remember a game, can't remember which one, but they brought in the #2 QB to play as a WR, well since he was a QB he had a helmet with a green dot on it, so he had to grab another player's helmet for that play.

And regarding Crowder, you guys can call him stupid for his London remarks, and I know some of you are joking, but if he says he was joking, is it that inconceivable to think that the biggest practical joker/prankster etc. Crowder just might have been joking. This guy has never given a serious statement in his pro career but all of a sudden his London comments were?

Two things I might point out, his rookie career when Zach was out a couple games with injury Crowder took over with the calls etc. When Zach came back, he noted in an interview that he was a bit rusty with the calls etc. and Crowder had to correct him a few times.

Second, 3.5 GPA and 30 wonderlic. Now, it might have been a powder puff major, but you don't get 3.5 and 30 as an idiot.

Ducken likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not a chance would I let JA call the plays, Channing is interesting, maybe that extra responsibility would motivate him to play at a high level...

Who am I kidding? Give it JP or JT.

12. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

NFL network was showing the announcement of the rule form inside the meeting and that question was asked. the answer was that several players may have the receiver in their helmet. the player receiving the signal has to report to the umpire or official in charge of the D, much like an O-linemen has to report to be an eligible receiver.

13. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles

i think that was seneca wallace you are talking about.and ya ive always really liked crowder and hes just a jokester.i ment to hit crowder in my pick but hit will allen on accident. but i think itll be crowder and i think hes gonna have a great year :up:

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think you are 100% correct, it was most likely Wallace, good call!

Regarding Jason Allen, he is so misaligned. I wonder if he is truly that slow, does getting yanked 4 times in 2 years slow a player's ability to grasp the defense? he was yanked around in college too. I never played so I can't say for sure. anyway, I still think it's crowder, it's the most natural pick IMO.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not to hijack Jdang, I spent most of early last season defending JA against the "B" charge, he does better when he can just "play", I have high hopes that Bowles can take JA's game higher then the very good half season we all saw last year.

But he has enough troubles covering his own assignments, adding making the defensive calls would only compound the problem, consider JA a faster, more agile Roy Williams and let Keith Davis or Yeremiah Bell handle the calls.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If Jason is here, its him.

If hes not here, its JP imo.

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Crowder....the man in the middle always calls the plays in the D Huddle.....i know from experience :)

18. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Well Jt is normally our defensive captain so it would make sense to give it to him but who knows. I would say it should go to a linebacker, so in that case either crowder or porter, probably crowder.

19. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    If Jt is here it will most likely be him, but i'd like to see someone younger like will allen or someone still in thier 20's that way we will have the same guy doing it for multiple years instead of the one or two guys like JT might be around.

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Very good question...you should add "Don't Know Yet" as one of the selections...I think it'll be one of the safeties, but we won't know until after the draft and we see who shakes out to where...not that I think a rookie will be the radiohead, just that we're not sure who in the ILBs are going to be, whether we'll have the personnel to run a 3-4 as our base D, etc...

21. Larryfinfan

He's our D captain, but he doesn't call the plays...Usually it is and ILB or safety....at least with most programs, college and pro...

22. Larryfinfan

I think JP is too emotional to be the play caller...

23. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    being defensive captain has nothing to do with who calls the plays

24. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    As others have pointed out JT..

He IS the defensive leader without question..

I cannot imagine giving this to anyone else.

Marino1983

25. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I said Jason Taylor but I was stuck between Jason Taylor and Channing Chrowder. The reason I pick Jason Taylor is because he has been a part of this team for a long time and seems to be on of the main leaders.

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would go with Crowder....I think it has to be an LB....Joey gets too emotional and volatile to keep his head on straight at times, so go with Crowder....JT is not on the field every play so not him.

27. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Had to vote JT, he seems to be the outspoken leader on this D since Zach's departure. However on reflection, JT may not always be standing up and I think this may need to be someone at ILB on the inside standing every play so they can fully see the offense changing formations, shifts, etc. And I don't know whether Crowder will be in for every play, same for Torbor, so I don't really know who I would vote for on reflection. See, always go with your first gut instinct. If we move Joey Porter inside, then I could see him wearing it.

28. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sports Xtra last night, Drew Rosenhaus stated that, for now, Channing Crowder is wearing the headset.

29. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    I voted JT, but I think that Torbor could end up with it. He'll be in the middle, and I think he could become a solid LB, and eventually, a leader of the D.

30. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    this isn't a popularity contest.. but that's what it has turned into.. the guy in the middle calls the plays.. the guy standing up that can see...

Coral Reefer likes this.
  31. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Reggie Torbor.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  32. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Right. It'll be an inside backer. Right now, that suggests Crowder or Torbor... or Porter if he plays inside. And, we could draft someone who starts at that position, and if that person has the defense down, he could be the playcaller, even as a rookie. I'm not sure how long Crowder or Porter are for the new administration - and as far as I know, they could be thought of high, low, or anywhere in-between - but Torbor was just brought in by them. If he's able to start as an inside linebacker, I think he's the guy.

I voted for "Someone Else."

Coral Reefer likes this.
  33. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I would have to think it would absolutely be an ILB as well.

I don't think it can be Crowder though.
    He has himself admitted that film work is not his forte despite Zach urging him to make that a large part of his preperation. IMO he hasn't shown a knack for diagnosing plays either or having half the insticts that Zach Thomas did. He has the physical tools but I don't think he's shown the football smarts or shown the willingness to develop such that make him a good candidate to take such a leadership role. On the other hand maybe challenging him by putting him into such a role would motivate him to step up.

If Porter comes inside you'd have to think he'd be the top candidate and if he dosen't make that move I'd have to think Torbor is the leading candidate.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
    Finrunner likes this.