1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who thinks Thigpen is better than Henne???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinatic425, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I think there is no doubt that Henne will start next year.

Who thinks that Thigpen is better than Chad Henne and why???

Thigpen looked like a pretty solid back up to me in the Steelers game...but he can't throw a spiral to save his life.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    henne>>>>>thigpen.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Thigpen is better at running than Henne.

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    gish thinks henne is better than thigpen :shifty:

5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    lol

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I don't think anyone would think Thigpen is clearly above and beyond Henne. I think we all know Henne will be the QB. However, there may be a few things that Thigpen does better, and that would be moving around in the pocket, and possibly making things happen with his feet if a play breaks down. I think Henne is clearly the better pocket passer of the two, with a stronger, more accurate arm.

7. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I say there both pretty close ..

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't discount Thigpen for anything. And as much as I love Henne, he stilll haven't done enough for me to say that he's the undisputed starter next season.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thigpen is better at some things, like turning the ball over.

10. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    George likes spicy chicken.

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I also think the competition for starter is going to be MUCH tighter than many are expecting.
    I still think Thigpen was the best QB on the KC roster last year, and we absolutely stole him for a 5th?
    Regardless, its been a long long time we have had a QB this promising much less two.
    Whoever is coming off the bench, I like what we have going on with these two.

dolfan7171, late again and MikeHoncho like this.
  12. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    That's not exactly the best argument to use for having Henne start.

13. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I really like Thigpen and I was pretty darn happy we traded for him last year, but I think Henne is a better choice for the future. If I remember right Thigpen was a runningback at some point, so he has some athleticism and I think he is a better Wildcat option than White at this point.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Thigpens win percentage as a starting QB should say it all. I believe he only won 1 game out of 10 or so with the chiefs. And that was with Tony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe and even Larry Johnson for a portion. I understand a QB can't do it alone but he had WAY better options in KC than Henne's had here so far.

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I don't know that it's that simple though. The Chiefs played in a lot of very close games that year. Thigpen lost 6 starts by a TD or less.

Tyler Thigpen is not the reason the entire coaching staff and front office got canned after the 2008 season. Tony Gonzalez wanted Thigpen to be the long-term guy after the season ended. I'm not saying he's a savior. Just that he might not be as bad as that record says.

An unheralded kid from Coastal Carolina enters the season #3 on a terrible team and accounts for 22 touchdowns in 14 games. 5 more than Matt Ryan and only one more INT in basically the same number of attempts.

San Diego was pretty good in 2008. Thigpen hit them for 292 yards total offense, 3 passing TD's, 0 INT's. 108.4 QBR. They lose 20-19 at Qualcomm.

In his second career start, against NY against the hot Jets with no Larry Johnson, Thigpen goes for 300 yards offense, 2 passing TD's, 0 INT's. They lose 28-24 at the wire.

He had some decent weapons, but he was still a young guy and he's got a little something to him. I like him as a relief pitcher for us.

16. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    No the heck it doesn't. A team with a great QB can still lose a lot of games.

17. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ok, lets bring this closer to home. Thigpen started against us once in 2008. The chiefs were up 28-24 at halftime. Thigpen was looking good, 2 tds, 0 ints and playing great.

Then he threw 0 tds, and 3 ints in the 2nd half. I'll admit, this is the only true game I've seen Thigpen play in. And he failed, miserably. Our team gave him a lot opportunities to win that game and he still couldn't.

Fast forward to the steelers game and it's almost a repeat performance. Goes out, gets a score and then throws 2 ints to finish the game. Steelers gave him chances and he didn't get it done.

There it is, that's all I've seen of Thigpen. I admit, it isn't much and maybe it's not fair, but I truly believe Henne would have won that Steelers game. And i know im not alone there. (i know it was a pointless game, but still)

18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    thigpens stats were over rated in KC anyways from the offense they ran. henne is a more traditional guy for our O

i like that thiggy can make things happen by moving around the pocket, but that doesnt win you superbowls

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I Really, REALLY hope this is the case, because AT THE VERY LEAST there is now dept at the position. And 100% agree that KC was way off letting him go for just a 5th rounder.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Thigpen has some talent, needs development, same for Henne. However there is no doubt in my mind Henne is our starting QB for a very long time. Sparano's creed: "competition at EVERY position" will only make Henne AND Thiggy better for it. So we'll have a better #1 (Henne) and better #2 (Thiggy) for the competition.

WTF we're going to do with Pat White is a total mystery to me. :lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  21. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    At some point don't you have to commit to a guy, and let that scenario play out? You can't keep switching out QB's. If Henne is gonna be the future, he needs to play. Thigpen may battle in camp, bit I would be fairly shocked if opening day Henne wasn't the starter. There's a reason QB controversies are a bad thing...

22. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Thigpen is a better QB for the offense we ran in 2007, and part of 2008, I think that's safe to see.

With a running QB, and Ronnie Brown, and some of the innovative things we were doing with the WC, Thigpen could be very dangerous with a little bit of work.

That being said however, Henne is our better option at QB. It's proving hard to rely on Ronnie being uninjured the entire time, and basing an offense like that on an RB who we can't be sure will be there all season, is a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line, if Thigpen has Brown, and the same amount of practice time Henne did all season, I think he can do better. But Henne is a safer bet, as he (clearly) doesn't NEED Brown to be able to do his thing in order to open up the passing game.

23. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You realize KCs defense had something to do with those losses(or do you?)
    allowing 440 points is not going to translate to to many wins

24. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Don't know that anyone is saying that Thigpen is any better. However, I'm not convinced that Henne has shown enough to believe that he's clearly better than Thigpen.
    Maybe the question for you should be, do you believe that Henne is so much better than Thigpen that he shouldn't have to compete for the starting job? If so, why?
    Comparing each QB's 2nd year shows that they aren't so far apart.
    http://www.nfl.com/players/chadhenne/profile?id=HEN507580
    http://www.nfl.com/players/tylerthigpen/profile?id=THI677677

25. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    thigpen good... Henne better...

26. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami

27. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think it's Thigpen's decision making that needs work. All year Henne hit Davonne Bess, Greg Camarillo, and Brian Hartline for great plays. I think we all saw Thigpen's mistake when he threw to Ted Ginn and ended up throwing an INT. Had he watch Saint's tape he would know what happens when we throw to Ginn when he's not streaking down the field 50 yards.

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    one thing for sure
    having these two is better option than having
    culpepper and harrington
    or fiedler and lucas
    or lemon and beck

late again likes this.
  29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    he got us back in that football game
    not bad for a guy who hadnt taken a snap as a dolphin

late again likes this.
  30. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah I have a hard time placing too much fault on Thigpen's shoulders. Knowing that there are only so many practice snaps to be had with the starters, you have to wonder how many Thigpen actually got. Obviously White had to get his share.

31. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thigpen and Henne might be close in measurables, but Henne's won more games in less time. Henne's upside is also much greater, IMHO. But I think Thigpen is a real talent and thrilled to have him as a backup.

32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'm sorry my Ted Ginn bashing didn't resonate with you. I'm not blaming Thigpen, I'm denouncing throwing to Ted Ginn on short routes.

33. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You should check out both their first year starting numbers. Henne threw more INTs than TDs. 12tds 14 ints for Henne. 19 tds 15 ints for Thigpen.