1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who picks this acorn?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Mar 23, 2012.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    CAR just signed Tolbert to a decent sized deal and they already have Williams for a few more years under his current deal. So where does that leave Johnathon Stewart?

He's on the last year of his deal and personally I think he's going to be a steal for someone if CAR is willing to listen to trade offers.

If he could be had for around a 4th it'd be a monster move, imo. Would love to have him here.

2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Worst move Ireland has made while he's been here, imo. I was livid when we did it and he's unfortunately proven me right up until this point. The one RB I repeatedly stated I wanted no part of lol Guess I asked for that.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Stewart has Green Bay or NE written all over him, imo.

4. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    thomas was hurt last year and ran behind one of the worst o lines in football. what was he? a third round pick? its weird the same guy blowing matt moore as the next great quarterback is down on a second year player who was hurt last year.

5. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    woah....

anyway yeah I was high on Stewart coming out of Oregon, I think he would be a great addition but I still don't want to give up on Thomas. I think he still has a lot to prove, and I am excited to see how Phillbin and Sherman put this offense together.

6. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    When we traded three picks for one in the second, I was SURE that we were going after Mallett. Now I wish we had...

PhinsRDbest and Uncle Rico like this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Don't confuse this thread w/your day job.

Thomas(2nd round pick) ran behind the same garbage OL that Bush did while going over 1k didn't he?

Nobody is blowing Moore like he's the next great. As if your argument wasn't weak enough as it is.

8. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    As far as I am concerned, Daniel Thomas will be damaged goods and out of the league within 4 years because Grandpa Bill Snyder ran his butt into the ground at KSU. With that being said, picking up an insurance back never hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Living in Charlotte NC for the last 4 years I have two statements

1. From everything I have heard, Stewart is NOT NOT NOT available.

2. You are insane if you think he would be had for a 4th round pick. Guy has been splitting time, he's fresher than most backs that grind, and hes a stud....mix of speed and power.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    NE already has a back, and GB's not really a big spender. He's also not going for a 4 from what I've gathered, more like a 2.

SICK likes this.
  11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Much more like it.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If so that makes no sense why they would give Williams that new extension and now bring in Tolbert for a decent sized contract.

He might have all the variables you want, but he does get a lot of nagging injuries. He doesn't have the stats of a stud either.

Edit: Don't forget, Stewart and Williams were Fox's guys. Now that he's gone, Stewart's role could very llikely of been replaced w/the Tolbert signing.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Who? Ridley?

14. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thomas is just another second round pick who will end up being a wasted pick by Ireland, just as Henne, and Pat White were and it appears Misi will also turn out to be. Other than Jake Long who Ireland and Parcells selected with the first pick in the 2008 draft, Ireland has been unable to select any other players in the draft which have proved to be impact players at their position. Vondae Davis has been a good but certainly not a great CB. Pouncey may turn out to be a very good OL, but even though he played well in some games last year, in other games he appeared to be over matched by some of the better defense tackles he faced.There is still a huge question mark regarding Odrick. He is entering his third year in the league and he was out injured in year one and last year he average just a little over one tackle a game. This is very minimal production for a player drafted in the first round of the draft. I thought taking Odrick in the first round was a huge reach at the time and nothing he has done so far has shown me that he deserved to be selected this high.

Ireland has selected some average players in the later rounds of the draft, but no one who can truly impact a game. These players are mostly borderline NFL starters or backups and this explains the 20-28 record of the Dolphins over the last 3 seasons. Ireland has actually had more success in trading for players or in free agency. While these players certainly haven't led to the Dolphins becoming a winning organization, they have certainly played better than the majority of the players drafted by the Dolphins in the last four years. Bush, Dansby, Wake, and Bess were all either traded for or signed in free agency and they have all had some success as members of the Dolphins.

What scares me the most going forward is that it appears the Dolphins have made a decision to rely less on trades and free agency signings going forward and more on the draft. With the record Ireland has in the draft over the last four years, I fear for future of this organization.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    TOlbert is more of a fullback/special team/hback role, replacing production lost from shockey. If you watched the panthers last year (i watched every game) there were times they had 2 tight ends in the backfield with cam....so its just an added weapon for Chud. I agree Stewart might move if someone breaks the walls down for him, but they arent activley looking to trade him now that they got Tolbert.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Too much wrong there to bother.

MrClean likes this.
  17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He's def solid on ST and in that FB role, but he's also an excellent receiver and short-yardage back.

I just wouldn't be surprised if someone can pry Stewart away.

Probably a good amount of wishful thinking on my part bc I'd **** my pants w/delight if we could get him here. He'd completely change our offense.

18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    OT... Slick... love your avatar...
    My youth group gets weird when they hear Hendrix, or Cream, or Zep on my player...
    They get even worse when the Stones show up..

Glad to see some of you young folks aren't letting that music slide by in time...

Also... so far as changing our offense.. I really hope that is what Philbin has in mind, but I don't know if Stewart would be the perfect fit for it.

slickj101 likes this.
  19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Change our offense in the sense that we'd have a solid running game. Def wouldn't expect Philbin to scrap the WCO.

Thanks, man. I accept the unfortunate fact that the majority of the best rock music and musicians had already happened before I was even a sperm :lol: Imo, good rock music has been dead for the most part since the late 90s.

20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I am a huge fan of J-Stew and would love to have him complement Bush.

21. IMO Sucessfull teams in the future will be doing it through the draft. Finding talent in the draft and signing them to the rookie caps is how teams will stay competetive. FA will still serve its role but draft picks are much more valuable now that a team does not have to morgage their future to sign unproven players.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ridley, Vareen, Woodhead.

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Rather build through the draft, pick up a RB in whatever round offers us BPA at RB. The kid we signed from the CFL intrigues me, if the OL is improved, Bush continues his resurgence, Thomas steps up his game in his 2nd year and only years he actually had a full TC to learn, then the CFL kid gives us another dimension, I really think RB is not our weakness. The OL is still by far my greatest worry (after QB of course).

24. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Sadly theres no way a 4th gets stewart...I'd be surprised if even a 3rd got stewart...not to mention Car isnt shopping him as Tolbert is a goal line / FB / special "toy" kind of player in that O, as others have pointed out.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ridley has under-whelmed, Vareen hasn't played a snap and Woodhead isn't really a between the tackles RB, imo.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ridley hasn't under-whelmed. Did pretty well in his limited snaps in rookie year. Vareen was a second round pick last year and had hamstring issues. He won't go anywhere. Woodhead's not an in-between the tackles runner, but Ridley is and Vareen does a pretty good job in that department as well.

27. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Don't get me wrong I haven't been big on Daniel Thomas but why give up so quickly on a rookie who had injury problems last year and no real training camp? Its not a fair comparison of Bush and Thomas since Bush is an established veteran who just came into his own last year as a starting running back. I believe we should give Thomas a little time to develop rather than label him a bust after his first year, but thats JMO.

MrClean likes this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

Stewart: Hey Reggie, you are looking awfully sharp in your uniform today. New wristbands? Keep up the great work.

SICK likes this.
  29. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Pat White was the worst move he has made. To be honest the only decent 2nd round pick Ireland has gotten right was Sean Smith.

30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany

well that sounds pretty familiar....

31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany

we will never find out if this was jeff irelands pick

32. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I think that Philbin will have a positive effect on Ireland's drafting. While Ireland will be making the final decision, Philbin will be highly involved (we hope) in terms of the types of players we pick. I expect this to strongly influence the picks that are made.

33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yet he stayed totally healthy at K State and they ran him a lot, behind a crap OL.

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually like Daniel Thomas. How quickly everyone forgets what the kid did when he actually had some blocking.

Only a mentally deficient idiot (see: Sparano) brings in a rookie runningback twice a game cold off the bench to try and convert a short yardage play. Not to mention if you watch most of those plays the offensive line is getting pushed back into his face by the time he takes the hand off.

MrClean likes this.
  35. MrClean

Yeah, I was about to respond to him too. Then decided, why bother?

36. MrClean

I agree. It's completely idiotic the way people want to label Thomas a bust after just his rookie season, when he ranked pretty high in rushing yards among the rookie runners last year.