1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who else was in Ross's luxury box?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KB21, Nov 11, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Stephen Ross sat next to and talked to Nat Moore the entire time. When they got up, I saw Jason Taylor up there with a disgusted look on his face.

I think Ross is finally surrounding himself with the right people to go to counsel with about how to structure this team. Jason Taylor, Nat Moore, Don Shula (didn't see him), Dan Marino (didn't see him).....

It's time to make the moves to regain credibility in this organization.

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Tired of dinosaur ball.

3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ross should sell the team to someone that can put the right pieces in place the FIRST time. Not a trial by fire. Not a learn on the job. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST ****ING TIME!

ASOT, Marco and Aquafin like this.
  4. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I don't think Don Shula is able to travel a lot. Dan was probably watching on TV. He did have a lot of folks around him. Nat Moore was at his hip the entire time. Jason's look at the end of the game was one of disgust and dismay. He knows what has too happen.

Aquafin and maynard like this.
  5. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I saw Nat Moore and I think Nat Moore has to be disgusted by our inept wrs and tightends.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Nat Moore... you're next GM?

7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    [video=youtube;ibtHUNqAnN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibtHUNqAnN0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Look at Jason Taylor's face. Then Ross sees it and his smile goes down the crapper.

ASOT, Claymore95, MonstBlitz and 7 others like this.
  8. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

As I see it the list he made public is going to influence everything going forward .

Can't see Ireland getting a free pass again.

Thankfully.

muscle979, DOLPHAN1 and KB21 like this.
  9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Nat is on the Dolphin payroll and is advising.He is loyal and maybe ...just maybe he is finally getting through that thick Ross skull that he should blow this whole thing up.

Partial blowups have not worked.If he had fired Ireland when we had to we would have progressed much further .Philbin is not the answer either but I suspect Ross will want to give him another chance too .

FinSane likes this.
  10. dolfan22

Well that isn't happening at least now , so he will preside over another changing of the guard . Clearly he has reached out to those he trusts and will take their opinion on this mess and make changes from their direction.

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Exactly. I think he's surrounding himself with people that know the NFL, that know Dolphins football. Now, whether they are the right people or not, I dont know, but its at least people that have a clue. Clearly they are all disgusting with the roster from Ireland, and the preparation and execution from the players coached by Philbin and his staff. I think Ross is finally seeing it... it needs to start all over.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Start all over as in gut the roster? I don't think that's completely necessary. I think players like Wheeler, Ellerbe, and Wallace need to go because of their contracts. But we have talent.

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    he has reached out to those the Dolphins fans can buy into. I'm not so sure he trusts anyone or knows enough who to trust.

14. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the cupboards are not bare. there is plenty of talent on this team. you get tannehill a legit NFL capable oline, with a playmaker tight end, and a competent OC i think the team is a playoff contender off the bat. this is not like when cam was here for a season trotting out cleo lemon at QB.

the losing culture of the dolphins has to end, you could see it on taylor's face, something has to drastically change for this franchise.

15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I said this in the club, but it will not surprise me if this group advises Ross to hire someone to make those decisions for him so his affinity for a person will not effect the decision. Considering that he is showing interest in this kind of position, I can see Ross hiring Dan Marino before the season is over to oversee the football operations and make those decisions. When it comes down to it, Philbin is gone if Ross's new council suggest that he doesn't have what it takes.

RoninFin4 and Bpk like this.
  16. dolfan22

Tony Dungy has no ties to the Miami fan base.

He will get input from the small circle he has drawn and does anyone think Ireland survives this? I don't and of course a new GM puts all coaches on the hot seat too.

Bpk likes this.
  17. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    He should have Shula, Marino, Csonka, Griese, JT, ZT, Moore and Jimmy Johnson on speed dial. He needs to learn from the greats about what this organization are REALLY about. I'm not say they should be making decisions, but they should be helping advise him. Ross needs a good football brain trust to move this along. I always preach consistency, but I'm done with that after tonight. Everyone in the football operations side and the coaching staff need to be purged. Terrible game. What a hot pile of pooh.

18. dolfan22

Don't see that being Marino , it could very well be another former Dolphin icon though .

19. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think there may be too much interpreting going on what you saw from the guys in the booth. Until I hear differently, I think you can only assume they were sorry about the loss. I don't know that their position on the coaching staff or management was changed. Not sure that Ross went into locker room and showed out. I think there was just a good a chance he went into locker room and supported.

20. dolfan22

I think time has come today ...

Can't see that no major changes will be made from where everything is right now . Another losing season , adding to the longest in team history , the continuance of bad public image , the dwindling passion for the team by the fan base ... he has to make a major move imo. I would be shocked if he doesn't . Too late , but it will be done.

21. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I dont think we need to gut the roster... I think this team has some talent, but its just being misused by an incompetent coaching staff. By start all over, I meant GM and Coaching staff. Hopefully you get one that can maximize the potential of what we have. While we havent drafted well, the roster isnt bare of talent thanks to the FA signings... what we need is a staff, that can use what we have in positions to succeed... not a staff that tries to force players into the system even if they don't fit. I want coaches who can evaluate the talent we have, and use it to their advantage. We're not doing that right now. It woudlnt make us super bowl contenders this year if we were... but its really hurting us as is.

22. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Marino is showing some legitimate interest this time. He's seen John Elway have success, and he's thinking about it.

Granted, it would be a risk, but I'd trust Dan to get the right people into place and not try to do too much.

Out of curiosity, what other former Dolphin icon are you thinking of?

Jason Taylor?

Aquafin likes this.
  23. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think my biggest fear at this point is that Joe Philbin sticks around into 2014. The staff of coaches he's brought in are terrible. He looked defeated and disinterested for most of the game tonight. I think he pretty much metaphorically cut his own throat with the team's performance tonight, especially after several players said it was one of their best weeks of preparation the whole year.

24. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I think the players spoke loudly about how they really feel about this coach tonight.

Aquafin and ASOT like this.
  25. dolfan22

The last time , it came out that Dan did not want to be immersed in such a time consuming position. Let's face it , this isn't a public relations position. Although maybe they carve a position out like that for him . That wouldn't be bad , but honestly I don't think Marino wants to work that hard , put in that many hours , day after day. Not that I blame him , not saying it as a negative , I just don't think the desire is what it needs to be for that.

I can see JT much more that Dan , but I have no information that leads to that mind you . He may be past the time frame but I always thought Dick Anderson should have been involved with the team at some point .

Clearly the whole Parcells direction was wrong and like I said , we have had the first , second and third overall picks over the last number of years and we are still struggling. A lot comes into play , team image , fan friendly , restoring luster to a fading franchise but the most important thing is winning and being a consistent playoff team . They have to get that right .

They have to embrace a football person that is also open to current management options , the old blueprint won't do anymore imo.

Would Tony Dungy consider the football czar position , I don't know.

26. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    There was also some speculation that Dan was upset because his position in 2004 was a sham position that was created to offset the fan outrage that the only change made was Dave Wannstedt getting stripped of his personnel power. What's true? I don't know.

Plus, how much work would it be if his biggest task would be to put the head coach and GM into place?

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    If that were true, the team would have rolled over and died at 15-0 instead of fighting back to take the lead.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Every roster in the NFL has talent. In fact Tampa Bay with one victory proved tonight that they have plenty of talented players on their roster.

The problem with the Dolphins is that they have severe weaknesses in just about every unit on their team.

For this team to be a legitimate playoff team. They need a complete overhaul of the offensive line. They need a quality TE and to get rid of Wallace and his salary. They also need better RB's than Miller and Thomas. Miller would be fine as a change of pace back, but he just isn't consistent enough to be a starting RB in the NFL. I have no idea how Thomas even has a job in the NFL.

On defense, the only solid unit is the defensive line. The LB's are mediocre at best and I would replace all of them, including Misi over the next two seasons. I would like to replace them all after this season, but the Dolphins just have too many other holes to fill.

The secondary is not consistent at all. They play well for parts of a game and terrible in other parts of the game. They constantly give up big plays in the fourth quarter of games.

If a new GM comes in after this season. It won't surprise me in the least if only 5-6 present starters are even on this roster in 2-3 years. I would expect that there will be a major overhaul on this roster over the next 2-3 years. There are a few very talented players on the roster. Unfortunately there are far more bad and mediocre players on the roster and that is why this team is once again headed for their 4th straight losing season.

Aquafin likes this.
  29. dolfan22

Maybe but we see how much time and effort Elway puts in , I think Dan would understand the commitment it would take. Perhaps timing is better now , his kids are older , maybe he has had enough time away from the team aspect of football to have the requisite passion to do this and do this well.

Obviously the hire would be a fan friendly decision and maybe Dan brings someone like Cowher ? IMO we need the best , best , best person for the GM position . That wasn't the case with Ireland , and even his supporters seemingly now admit that.

ASOT likes this.
  30. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    What happened between Dan and his wife over the having a child with another woman issue? Dan may have a lot of time on his hands.

IMO, if you are ever going to get Cowher or even Gruden to come out of the booth, it is going to take having the opportunity to work with someone like Dan along with significant control. We are talking about going back to the way we were from the time Don Shula was the coach through 2003 which was Wanny's last year with power, where the head coach is the central figure and has all the power over personnel in the organization.

31. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Elway owned an Arena football team and therefore had management experience. I loved Marino as a player, but I just don't think he is suited to taking over the football operation as Elway as done in Denver,

I think Ross needs to go after the best GM available after this season and let him hire his own scouts and name his own head coach. If this is Philbin, fine. If it is someone else, I'll be okay with that too.

I just don't think Marino is the answer to what is wrong with this franchise.

dirtywhiteboy and Bofin like this.
  32. dolfan22

They addressed that by asking for privacy , not a positive situation of course but I believe that would not be an issue. I think we will hear much more this next week or two.

33. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
    I can understand what Ross is trying to do with this committee. He brought in former players and Coach Shula to bring this franchise to its former glory as a proud organization. I am not trying to make anything of this but how did Ross get Tony Dungy involved, I know he said in the past he is not interested in coaching anymore, do you all see him as a GM or Executive?

34. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Marino recommended Jim Fassel when Wanny was fired .As much as I loved him as a player we could grow to hate him as a controlling influence.

I dont think he is as cerebral or experienced as John Elway.

35. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah I was in his camp until that flat first quarter .... How are you not fired up as a team for this game !

36. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    and I will play devils advocate here, and say Nat Moore has been with the team for years now, and I think is part of the problem. Wasn't Tim Tebow Celebration Day his idea originally ???

No thank you. If that is your next GM expect more of the same !

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Amen. I'd rather see Jason Taylor with the job than Marino. Marino will suck greatly at the job. He doesn't posses the brain for the game at the level. He was the world's greatest sand lot QB. Football was no more complicated than throw it to the open man for him. He was so good at doing just that, he didn't need to do anything else. He probably would have failed Jon Gruden's QB Camp.

38. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I am very nervous of the idea that Nat Moore is involved with this team in any advisory capacity.

djphinfan, ASOT and MikeHoncho like this.
  39. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Sorry but if they have a losing season it's going to be the 5th (FIFTH) straight losing season...

2009 7-9
    2010 7-9
    2011 6-10
    2012 7-9
    2013 ?

It's quite obvious to anyone who is a TRUE fan of the team, that the GM has done a horrific job, and needs to be replaced immediately.

40. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    People forget Marino never graduated from Pittsburgh, and Elway got a degree at Stanford.