1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Brings New Dimension To Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    White Brings New Dimension To Dolphins
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=6480

good read

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

this is what surprises me. that's a decent bit of yards and TD and still people are going "well other teams didn't project him as a quarterback" or "we reached for him" or "he won't succeed"..

yeah yeah, transition from college to NFL is blah blah blah.

TiP54 likes this.
  3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, as I said elsewhere, there is a big difference between scouts saying that a player will/won't succeed at his position versus he doesn't even have what it takes to develop at his position and needs to switch in order to make an NFL roster. That has to raise some red flags even for the biggest Miami homers, no?

And if the stories from both before and after the draft are correct, White and Davis were both second options, as the Phins were prepared to take Harvin to run the WC. At least Harvin would have had a definitive position, where White is a jack of all trades, master of none. Drafting him as a QB doesn't make sense if the Phins are as high on Henne as we've been led to believe, and drafting him that high as a WR doesn't make sense seeing that he's never run a route, let alone an NFL route, in his life. He is at a severe disadvatange when compared to other WR's taken both before and after him in the draft, at least they have the reps and are familiar with running routes. That's why I think White's success or failure is tied directly to the success or failure of the WC.

Disnardo, Bpk and Coral Reefer like this.
  4. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The main reason why is his size. He's only 6'0. There aren't many 6'0 quarterbacks in this league who are successful, the only one I can think of is Drew Brees. If Pat White was 6'3 he'd be a first round pick and be drawing comparisons to Donovan McNabb.

Xeticus and Puka-head like this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this guy is a total package
    & had we not stepped up to pick him when we did the Patriots would be using White in their version of the WildCat.
    this was a calculated & well studied move on behalf of the FrontOffice. they know what they are doing.
    he will start for Miami in the WildCat/Spread formation.

6. anlgp

couple things.

1) since you like to bring up projections his numbers say that he has the ability to improve. check them out, he certainly succeeded in college. he has a few records to his name to boot at QB. most of them impressive. -- this stands out in particular -- Starting record of 34-8 is unmatched by any quarterback in WVU history and sixth in the NCAA in most career victories as a starting quarterback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_White_(football_player)#Records

2) i believe they would have taken harvin. as many people have said (and the FO has said themselves) "sometimes players fall where you want them to, other times they do not". this is true for all FO's not just ours. I think the reason the cowboys traded out of the second, for example, is because they wanted pat white with their pick and they couldn't get him. that might be just my opinion but consider dallas is now wanting to run "the razorback" which is basically "the wildcat".

3) jack of all trades.. this FO values snap counts. how many times a player can play on any given down or situation in a game. the more a player is able to fill various holes the more chances he has at getting on the field.

The Aqua Crush and the 23rd like this.
  7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    The major problem there is that college statistics mean absolutely nothing in the NFL. Ryan Leaf had a pretty good career in college as well, he was touted as being better than Peyton Manning that year and now his name is used at draft time in a less than honorable way when folks ask "Who is going to be the next Ryan Leaf?". The difference between speed and quality of the NFL game is much different than in college. :wink2:

Lets not forget that he has limited experience in a pro-style offensive scheme, which is something that usually plays against QB's trying to make the transition into the NFL. His height is less than ideal for an NFL QB, there just aren't many QB's that size who are successful. OL are getting bigger and bigger every year, he'll be fighting for vision lanes before he can even start going through his progressions. Reading through scouting reports at draft time I saw the same thing over and over, "White looks more comfortable outside the pocket than in it" and plenty of concerns about his accuracy. That has to be concerning and send up some red flags, no?

Possible, but there are any number of players that they could have had their eye on who weren't there, or maybe they wanted to acquire more picks.

But the player needs to be good at those positions, not just a warm body.

Like I pointed out before, in order for the WC to work and be somewhat of a surprise, we'll have to let White run a few plays per game out of our base offense, otherwise teams will know exactly what's coming every single time he steps out on the field. That means you're going to have an inferior player taking time away from Pennington throughout the game, which may lead to turnovers and less QB efficiency (a staple in support of Chad). The other option is playing him at WR where he has little to no experience, he would be taking plays away from Ginn, Bess, Cammy, etc. Having White running the WC is going to take touches away from Ronnie who made the most of his chances last year taking snaps in the WC. Either way, having White out on the field is going to take snaps away from a player who is more talented and a better asset at the position.

Having a versatile player is a great thing, but he needs to be polished and capable of handling the job asked of him and doing as good as the folks that he's stepping in for. Scouts didn't feel that he could develop his game at the QB spot and he has a long way to go before he will be confused with an NFL WR, so I don't see him being much of an asset outside of the WC, and I question whether the WC will be as effective as some folks believe.

Disnardo and Bpk like this.
  8. anlgp

do you believe everything you're told? scouts say one thing, numbers say otherwise. yes it's their job to make projections but how come they couldn't project brady being the QB he would be? he should have been taken 1st overall that draft if you want to believe everything scouts read then they sure as hell dropped the ball on him. on westbrook. on any number of late round draft picks that turned to be pro (nnamdi asomugha?). i know they're different positions with different projections but those guys are arguably the cream of the crop (less so maybe with westbrook anymore) at their positions and they were taken way later than they would have been if people can predict the future. no one gets everything right.. but this FOs track record in miami as far as a record and draft picks are concerned is pretty solid if you ask me. Jake Long has certainly panned out so far. Kendall Langford did well. Phillip Merling did alright. Granted Thomas, Murphy & the other guys are all iffy, but they were later round picks. The first three picks have panned out so far IMO. They had a few rookie mistakes but other than that they were fairly solid.

yeah yeah, college to NFL is different but the projection should be that if he is comparable to brees in height than that nullifies the height arguement. brees is a good QB. i'm not comparing white to brees in any other regard than his height.

pat white being better outside the pocket than inside would be a concern if he was brought in to run the traditional offense more than the wildcat, something you and i both agree on (that he was brought here largely to run the WC). if he's better outside the pocket the wildcat might benefit him greatly in that regard in the fact that he'll probably be on the move anyway in the first place.

i've read several places that the cowboys wanted white. about as many that said that we wanted harvin. so if we're able to believe that we wanted harvin based on reports i think it's realistic that we can say that the cowboys wanted white and traded down when he wasn't there for the sake of the argument.

about white running the wc and letting him run the base offense. i think they'll do that anyway. not because it gives teams less of a surprise (it won't) but because i don't think the FO will allow him to just run wildcat plays. he'll be expected to know the offense just as any backup QB would coming into this system. it doesn't mean he'll run it unless he has to; but it means that he'll be expected to learn it just as any other QB.

i don't think white running the wildcat will take touches away from ronnie. maybe in the wildcat, sure, but in my opinion he needs to worry about being a RB more than a wildcat trigger man. i'd rather have white back there anyway. i think it's pretty safe to say that pat white can pass the ball better than ronnie brown can.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    About the Miami Offense:
    1) I think FrontOffice must figure that Pat White is good enough to make the WildCat a viable co-system of play to shift into (without the need to surprise anybody) from our conventional offense.(i.e. WildCatPat in Pennington. Chad won't line up @ WR in a shifting formation)the other team will know what 's coming & have to deal with it.
    2) when we drafted a 2nd round QB to run the system, it ceased to be a gimmick. that much should be obvious to everyone.
    3) you play it until they stop it. when they stop it, you go to the conventional offense. this should not take away from Pennington's game but add to it. as long as it's working, Pennington is off the field resting his arm & studying the flow of the game. using an effective co-system of play keeps both QB's fresh & out of harms way.
    4) the sheer preparation an opposing defense has to invest in two different QB' & offensive systems taking the field is mind boggling. Pennington & White will feed off each other, the game book will be thrown wide open. Every game will be an exciting offensive event
    5) secret to the whole deal is the offensive line. if they meet expectation, nothing is impossible this year.

Xeticus, WharfRat, Themole and 2 others like this.
  10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

don't care what the pundits say, Pat White was drafted to run an extremely expanded version of the WildCat, he may also turn into a pretty decent NFL QB, no one on these boards can prove he can't.

I'm glad we got him, and can't wait to see how he runs the WC, his pass/run abilities will force teams NOT to stack the box against the WC and they must respect the pass, opening up the running game for Pat, Ronnie or Ricky, even Ginn on end arounds.

I am excited to watch this kid play, from the tapes I've watched of him in college, he's a "gamer". And he's ours! :up:

11. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Steve, where you been?
    Of course hell be a bust. We will barely win games. We got extremely lucky with our gimmick offense.

12. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Of course there are players who have beaten the odds, and no, scouts aren't right 100% of the time, but that isn't enough to consider White a potential QB or adequate WR. The difference between a Tom Brady and Pat White is that scouts thought that Brady was a developmental project at QB, those other players that you named were thought to have some sort of ability at their respective positions, White was evaluated and the consensus among the majority of scouts was that he just doesn't have the skills to develop as a quality QB, that's why he was asked to try out as a WR and returnman. That's a big difference from how scouts viewed a guy like Brady.

Looking at their track record also shows that they aren't infallible, Bobby Carpenter was a Parcells pick and has yet to do much of anything in the NFL. I point to him often as an example, but Parcells held onto Quincy Carter long after the rest of the NFL had come to the conclusion that he just wasn't starting material. The list is long, Parcells is a great motivator, but his draft history has holes in it just like any other football FO, and alot of those holes show up in the early rounds.

Drew Brees is an anomaly, Doug Flutie was an anomaly, the percentage of QB's in the NFL over the last 5 years that are/were White's size is very small. The comparison doesn't nullify the height argument at all, it just says that a very small number of QB's were able to beat the odds and succeed. :wink2:

Which goes back to my position that the WC may not be as effective now that teams have had a year to gameplan for it and are looking for ways to add it to their offense, meaning that their defenses will be exposed to it even more. But in order for it to be somewhat of a surprise, White will have to run a few plays out of our base offense, which he has little to no experience running (pro-style O) and the dropoff from Penny to White will be very visible due to White's accuracy issues.

Say we put White in to run a traditional play to set up the WC, White comes in and tosses an interception or throws behind the WR, where is the benefit over having Penny run those plays? If White is expected to come in as the WR and he rounds off his route or drops a pass that a more experienced WR would have caught, where is the benefit of having him in there instead of Ginn, Bess or Cammy?

Maybe, it would depend on the quality of the source and where that source got his/her information. If it was a site like PFT, then I wouldn't give it any credibility whatsoever. If it was a Dallas beat writer, then it would hold some more weight. Even then, there is no guarantee that the story is accurate, the same way that the Harvin story isn't guaranteed to be 100% accurate.

If they are going to give someone other than Pennington snaps at QB, why not Henne? What does White bring to the table that Henne doesn't, other than speed and the ability to make plays with his feet in the open field?

Remember back to last year though, the majority of Ronnie's yards and big plays came from the WC. We used the WC in part because our running game was nonexistent, even later on in the season before Smiley went down. Taking that away from Ronnie will limit what he can contribute to the team IMO.

Bpk likes this.
  13. anlgp

:lol:

I like how people call it a gimmick. :lol:

TiP54 likes this.
  14. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    If the story that the Phins were ready to take Harvin to run the WC (and many signs point to that being the case) is correct, that means that they had little to no plans to improve the passing aspect of the WC.

15. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Seeing that it isn't our base offense, I think the term is apt in this case.

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    If we really wanted to take him, we would of found away. If you had to pick one, which one would you go with?

17. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Then everything outside of base should be called a gimmick?

18. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't think I would have drafted someone specifically to run the WC, I think Ronnie did a fine job at it last year. But if I had to choose I would pick Harvin because his role on the team would have been more easily defined as a WR. If the WC fizzled, he would always have a spot on the team, the same isn't as easily said about White.

If it's a formation used a small percentage of the time to throw off opposing defenses, then sure. :up:

Disnardo likes this.
  19. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    So you are saying that we wouldn't of drafted anybody specifically for the 'cat, saying that RB did a decent job. We end up taking him in 2nd. From your comments, you are, at very least "skeptical" of White's QB ability/potential. So if we didn't pick him to run the 'cat, and you don't think he will make it as a QB...You believe that he will compete for a starting WR spot?

So you would pick him over White because you would *understand* what exactly we picked Havrvin for. Because you are unsure of Whites role on the current roster, you don't like, or would "prefer" Percy? Because *you* don't think White won't make it even as a back up QB.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Percy was not available at our pick.

Bpk and like2god like this.
  21. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I know.
    But if we really wanted him, pretty sure this FO would of found a way of getting him.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly. I don't see them trading up for a wide receiver though. A position that is replaceable.

Disnardo and Bpk like this.
  23. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    You asked me who "I" would have picked, and I answered your question. :wink2:

Harvin would have had a clearly defined role away from the WC, he would have been a WR based on his experience at that position and his ability to develop at that spot. White doesn't have a clear role outside of the WC, we've heard that he may be used as a WR or he may see snaps at QB, who really knows? The only thing that is clear is that he was drafted specifically for the WC.

24. anlgp

i think this is what alen meant when he said 'harvin wasn't available when we picked'. couldn't pick harvin even if they wanted to (except a trade). he wasn't there.

25. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    But he gave me a hypothetical between the two players, just answering it the best way I could. :wink2:

26. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I remember that part :)

But *you* also thought we wouldn't drafted specifically for WC. This kinda, sorta points at the opposite.

He uh, goes to the meetings to with the QBs, practices with the QBs, and takes reps at QB. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck...could it possibly be a duck?

27. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    What I would do and what the FO would do are two totally different things, and you asked specifically what I would have done. To then compare the two kind of defeats the purpose of asking me, no?

Personally I don't see him as being any sort of competition for Henne, who we've all heard and read that the team is extremely high on, who the players have been praising, and who is being groomed for the specific purpose of replacing Penny. You don't spend a high 2nd round pick on a player for him to be a backup. If you want to get into specifics about his role and potential at QB, I don't think he has what it takes to be a traditional pocket passer who can run a pro-style offense. :wink2:

28. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You do not have to use White in the base offense to set up the Wildcat. It doesn't matter if teams know when Pat is in that we're going to run some form of the WC. There are so many options with running and passing, even more passing now with White, that teams won't know what play we're actually calling or who's going to get it. Ronnie and Ricky can still do what they did out of it, but the main benefit of having White run the WC is that opposing defenses are going to have to respect the deep ball a lot more than, if say, Ronnie was throwing or heck, even Pennington. The Safeties and even some LBs are going to have to stay back a bit more now, thus opening up more space and running lanes. The way teams were able to stop the WC was by stacking the box and plugging the gaps. We mostly ran it out of the WC. With White in there, they won't be able to do that or they will surely get burned with pass. I'm quite sure that Parcells & co. saw that stacking the box was how teams were stopping the WC and they definitely needed a way to open things up and not make it so predictable.

Like Sparano said referring to the Wildcat: "There's still a lot of meat left on the bone." ;)

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Ryan Leaf was king douche bag in college. Using him in the same sentence with any qb who isn't a douche bag is an insult to that QB. In fact me calling him a douche bag is an insult to douche bags.

TiP54 likes this.
  30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Reading this thread, I can see both sides of the argument. Both make a lot of sense in my opinion and I think really the only way to see a resolution to this debate is to take a wait and see approach.

One side of the argument seems to be that the Wildcat won't be a base offense any time soon, if ever, which I think is a legit belief. I'm not going to call it a gimmick but I don't think it'll ever be extensively used to the point as a base offense. The last time an offense like this was used extensively and as a base offense was in 1948 I believe, with the Steelers using it and actually getting to the playoffs with it but not doing much in the playoffs. They were eliminated in the first game. I could be wrong here but I believe they used the single-wing offense as their base and in my opinion, the Wildcat is a branch off of the single-wing.

Further, the Wildcat is still an eight to ten play offense in my opinion, it is just now further dynamic as we have a guy who can run and pass out of it successfully (possibly). What I think the main point and/or argument of this side is the value of the Pat White pick. We took him 44th overall and many view it as a reach, despite reports surfacing that the Patriots and Broncos were targeting him around the same area. I also think the issue with the pick is looking at it from a value standpoint. One is probably looking at it as a luxury pick for a couple reasons. We're not a team that many think can afford to use a pick on a guy who will need time to develop at whichever position he's stashed at and many believe that we drafted White specifically for the Wildcat offense, which I'm not sure is the case. Going back to the point about looking at the pick from a value standpoint, I think that everyone has different values for specific players and has them slotted in specific areas of the draft. Some may not have taken White until the fourth round because of their belief that he's a developmental prospect at whichever position he's played at and he's not exactly the ideal size at really any spot on the offensive side of the ball but he's got potential, which is why they may take him in the fourth round. They also may not have taken him until the fourth round because he may not have a position and they feel that, with this team, it is not worth spending a higher draft choice on a player whose going to be used for a "gimmick" offense. They probably don't view White as an immediate impact player like they may have viewed Clint Sintim of Virginia, who went one pick later and may be the starting strong side linebacker in New York, or an Andy Levitre of Oregon State, a guy who may be able to solve our RG situation at the moment as he's got great versatility playing at left tackle, left guard, and center during his time at Oregon State. He's also best fit in a phonebooth role so to speak so he could have been a big time contributor for us. That's why this argument makes a lot of sense in my opinion. If this offense or "gimmick" falters in the near future, you've spent a higher draft choice on a developmental player that may never pan out in a base offense. He may never be a contributor and despite the trust that some may put into this management, they're not infallible as previously stated. It seems like in every Parcells draft, he's had a dud pick and this may be the one that is looked at in that fashion in the near future.

On the other side of the argument, I think people, who are 'pro-white', look at White and see a guy who can do more things than just be a factor in the Wildcat. I am a believer that Pat White was an underrated college Quarterback. Whilst he was not a big time passer down field consistently at West Virginia, he's shown flashes of what he's capable of. He's shown that he can throw a deep ball well and he's shown that he can make plays in space with his feet and his elusiveness. What he'll have to shake off is to not look for the run early in the pass game. I think that's a legit issue with him or at least that's what I've taken from watching him on tape against teams in the NCAA such as USF. History is 50/50 in that aspect in my opinion. We've seen guys who come into the league who ran first, pass second but have turned that around. Most recently is Donovan McNabb, whose a very good quarterback in my opinion, but we've seen the likes of Michael Vick and Vince Young in Tennessee, which raises a huge red flag with White. Further, I think Pat White can be a factor in the pass game at wide receiver. I compared his ability in space to Percy Harvin in my thoughts on the draft thread. I don't compare his explosiveness and quickness to Harvin but I think White's capable of making plays in space because of his elusiveness. Get him to run those drag routes or bubble screens and let him work in space. I think he could do fine. He doesn't have to run double-moves early in his career, just do some damage against the zone or on a under route. The concern that is often brought up is that Pat White has never ran a route. Well, honest question, how many has Michael Crabtree ran? How about Jeremy Maclin? They've both, especially Maclin, have ran a little amount of routes on the route tree in their collegiate careers. Maclin has caught bubble screens and ran go routes his entire college career and he was taken nineteenth overall, and then some want to bash the transition of White to wide receiver because he hasn't ran a route?

Moreover, from a value standpoint, White is looked at as a luxury pick because of the reasons I stated earlier. The developmental argument I look at as a kind of positive thing. Yeah you don't want to take a guy whose not an immediate, big time contributor as a rebuilding team but I think there's two sides to that argument. The other one is continuity. Its always stressed, specifically across the offensive line of teams, and I think it could be used here. White will develop as a player with others so in the future, they'll have superior communication and will have a feel for each other on the football field. Look at the team that Bill Walsh assembled in San Francisco when he took over in '79. He drafted guys who were developmental players for a few reasons and one of them was continuity. Those guys will grow up together on an NFL field and that will have huge benefits down the road. I think that same argument can be made here. The other argument was that he wasn't going to be really a immediate impact player and I think he can be, because of the reasons I stated in the paragraph before this one.

In the end, I think its still a wait and see approach with this debate but both arguments make a ton of sense in my opinion.

like2god and TiP54 like this.
  31. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I guess I didn't come off clear. Seeing that despite the fact that you didn't think we would pick anything for WC, we did. What role you see Pat filling?

But i guess this answers it.
    A shall ask you then. What makes you think that 'Cat wont grow? Coach says so, they openly practice is in OTAs, and even if its a smorescreen, they practicing it for something.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I just dont see the one side {Proset QB} being a legit arguement [dont want him there, want henne mos def}.The vision seems clear. He was picked to grow with an offense that were very serious about growing. The wildcat, hence the 2nd round pick, serious value if he makes the impact that i think he will make, add to that, x factor. I dont need him to learn how to be a great receiver, i need him to work on his overall game {run, pass,catch}because thats how diverse i think our offense is headed.

Sceeto likes this.
  33. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    In a argument such as this, in the end of the day people will stick to their opinion. Do I think he will ever take over , threaten Henne as a starter? Very, very unlikely. Does he have the potential to be multiple position threat? Most certainly. Can he develop in to a good back up qb? Possibility is strong in *my* eyes.

djphinfan likes this.
  34. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Couldn't have said it better my friend...I agree whole-heartedly...

like2god likes this.
  35. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, if Sintim goes on to be a major impact player this year and White doesn't exactly set the world on fire here, there will be questions still about his being picked when he did. I'm not sold on the White pick as adequate value for the #44 pick. We will be picking OLBs next offseason in the draft since we didn't this year. What makes this even more curious is the obvious connection between Parcells and Groh and the style of D we run, but what's done is done. At this point, as has been so elequently made by Alen is all we can do is wait and see...

like2god likes this.
  36. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Great post alen :hi5:

The difference between White and the other WR's that you named is that they played WR throughout their college career. They have the reps in practice and the game experience, they have much more ability to go up and get a pass at its highest point, turning their head at the right time, making the catch with their hands and then turning upfield, it's become second nature to them because they've done it over and over and over in college. That's all going to be new to White if he plays WR, even guys like Hartline and Turner are going to have that advantage over him because they've done it longer and it comes naturally to them.

Coach hopes so

The WC was most effective when we used it against NE, noone had any idea what was happening when Penny ran to the sidelines and lined up at WR. The element of surprise allowed us to dominate the Pats and as the season wore on and teams prepared for the WC it became less and less effective. Now that teams will have a full year to prepare for it and gameplan to stop it, I don't think that it's going to have the same effectiveness that it did last year. Yes we may be adding some passing plays, but NFL teams aren't stupid and they've already thought of that and will gameplan to stop it.

I like optimism, but I think that some folks are getting carried away with the success of the WC and what White will bring to the team. Right after the draft some folks were saying that he was going to win ROY and be a probowler, all without seeing him out on an NFL field and without taking into account the fact that the NFL is waiting for us to use the WC instead of being surprised by it. I hope White does well, I just don't see it happening. Because I don't think he has a true NFL position, his success or failure is going to be directly tied to the WC and it's success. If it fails, then White is a man without a true position, his value to the team drops significantly IMO. That isn't smart drafting, taking a more solid player at a position of need, a player who will play much more than just the 10 plays a game that White may see, would have been the better option IMO.

A rebuilding team can't afford to draft for luxury, they need to continue to build the foundation. I've seen people throw around the rumor that the Pats were interested in White to justify the fact that we selected him at #44, the major difference being that the Pats are one of the strongest teams in football, they can afford to spend a high draft pick on a luxury player. The Pats roster is set at every position, they do a great job every year of stockpiling picks and filling holes before they appear, so if a player (White) is brought in and he busts, it's no big deal to them.

We still have alot of holes, 60% of our OL is injury prone, we have noone behind Fergy if he gets hurt for an extended period of time, Soliai has shown some progress, but hasn't done it consistently. Channing Crowder doesn't make plays, that's been a knock on him his whole career and we did nothing to upgrade that spot. Roth is great at stopping the run, but his ability in pass defense isn't pretty. Ayodele is decent, but like Crowder he doesn't make plays, he isn't much of a threat to creat pressure on the QB. Yes we brought in Taylor, but he's more than likely going to be a situational rusher. Wake is a total unknown, he was passed over in the draft and cut by the Giants, and then he made a named for himself in the CFL. There is a major difference in the level of talent between the CFL and the NFL, I don't expect Wake to put up the gaudy numbers that he put up in BC.

So IMO taking a luxury pick at #44 with some good passrushers and OL still on the board was a mistake. I hope that White can be successful here, I just don't see it. A Clint Sintim, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, etc would have been a better choice IMO. They would have filled a position of need, a position that would allow them to contribute much more than the 10 or so plays that White will contribute in the WC. Hope that explains it. :wink2:

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true but in the end, how many routes have they ran compared to Pat White? Lol. Isn't that the argument? Pat White hasn't ran any routes in his career?

As for the natural stuff, I completely agree with you but you said it in your own post, they did it repeatedly and got that feel. Pat White's going to be put at wide receiver and he'll be doing it repetitively in practices too. I think the problem that many see is that Pat White has never really played wide receiver so he can't and won't be able to in the future. I'm not implying that your saying that, its just what I seem to get out of people when they talk about his (possible) move to wide receiver. I think he's capable of doing it and like I stated earlier, even if he hasn't played the position long, all the coaching have to do is point him in which direction to run in - a drag route for example. Run that under route across the field, we'll dump it off to you and picture yourself as a quarterback again and like your running in space (like you did at WVU). I think it'll surely be a transition with him but from what I'm thinking they would ask him to do at first, it won't be too big of a transition because like I said earlier, I expect all under routes and go routes really.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Question: If the management stated that the were not comfortable with any of the linebackers in this draft class and were not happy with the OL available in the 44 area so they went to their next option on the board and it was Pat White, would your thoughts on the value of the White pick be the same?

Agree on the Groh - Parcells connection. I think it is not that important anymore, for us fans at least, because we slot guys to our team based off that and then after the draft, that player isn't on the team. I also think that Sintim will be a good player in New York. He won't get recognized much by the media though because he's one of those laid-back, quiet and just does his job guys. Seems like the same thing happened in college.

39. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, it's the simplified version that implies the rest. :tongue2:

True, but one preseason of practice still doesn't give him the sort of experience that 3-4 years of college has given the other players. White, at the very least, is going to be a year or two (maybe 3) behind other players in that regard. The transition isn't impossible at all, but it's going to take time. IMO that still makes him a jack of all trades, master of none, or a luxury pick at this point of our rebuilding process. :wink2:

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

I agree with that. I still think he can make an impact at the early stages of the development at the position however.

To each his own, really. As I stated in my earlier argument, I think both sides of the argument are fair and make a lot of sense.

Just to play devils advocate here though, he might be a jack of all trades, he may not. We'll see how he pans out at QB. However, one thing that this front office and management pride themselves on his having their players make impacts in multiple places on the field. Wouldn't that make Pat White the perfect example of that?