1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which GM?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 13, 2014.

Which GM?

1. Gaine

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Farmer

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Licht

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Kahn

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Dawson

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Ross

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gamble

48 vote(s)
    60.8%
  1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    These are the GMs (So far) that have been interviewed or reported as potential candidates - 7 in total:

Brian Gaine (Dolphins)
    Ray Farmer (Browns)
    Jason Licht (Cards)
    Omar Khan (Steelers)
    Lake Dawson (Titans)
    Marc Ross (Giants)
    Tom Gamble (Eagles)

Leaving Eric DeCosta off the list. The latest report was that he essentially declined even though the Dolphins did in fact reach out to him per this report. This is very understandable given that A) He has a great relationship there; B) his pay is excellent; C) He's the clear successor to Newsome and D) The Dolphins are not really offering an upgrade - it's not a full-bore GM/running of football operations - which would likely be the only thing that could possibly draw him away. Even still, why would he do that when he has a great organization?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-linked-to-dolphins-gm-vacancy-sources-say-eric-decosta-not-expected-to-leave-ravens-20140110,0,4312305.story

So, of the above names which would you choose? Or what would be your top three?

I struggle to see guys with experience at very mediocre teams - or worse than the Dolphins (e.g., Browns) - would be much of an upgrade.

I don't care how well a guy interviews (why is so much stock put into that? A great interview is a great plus; but really, what you want - given what the Dolphins are stating the role will be - is a guy who can make the right moves in draft and free agency. Everything else is ancillary. As dysfunctional as Ireland was - if he had great player acquisitions no one would care about his gaffes or how good or bad he was with the media).

2. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Licht, has the best resume imo.

3. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Any word on the Gamble interview? Has he even been scheduled yet?

4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I couldn't complain about any of them really. It's a crap shoot. They all have good resumes and they all seem highly regarded as up and coming GMs.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Licht, Gamble or Farmer for me.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think we have any idea what we are getting or how people are determing favorites. You have a vague idea that these people have paid their dues and have been around smart people, but other than that no one has any clue what's going on. I guess you can assume they do a job interview well.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well yes we obviously have incomplete information. We can only look at their previous roles and public information.

MrClean likes this.
  8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Excellent point, and that's why my interview would include a draft test. For example: You are on the clock at #12, Demaryius Thomas, Joe Staley and Aldon Smith are available, which player do you take? There would be about 20 of these timed at 30 sec each for a 10 minute test.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it has to start and end at the personnel level..I think it's that simple Da-fin... Put the records on the table and lets party..

Im really encouraged that I believe it has been noted that Alen 1 has endorsed Licht from Arizona..that guy is in some circles and is relentless in his study of that part of the game.

DolfanTom likes this.
  10. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Gamble-Farmer-Licht in that order is my preference, but then again that's not really based on any tangible evidence. This is Just my preference based on what I've read about each candidate.

Kud_II and xDOLPHINSx like this.
  11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Is there a "no idea whatsoever" option?

Da 'Fins, finyank13 and Killer Bees like this.
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't pretend to know enough about any of these guys, but I'd probably be happy or at least satisfied with Gamble, Ross Licht, Farmer and Dawson (probably in that order) and disappointed with Gaine or Khan.

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think the last update was that Miami had contacted him and/or Philadelphia to request an interview. No word on whether or not it's been scheduled.

He'd be my favorite of the bunch just based on his past in San Francisco. After that...Licht, I guess.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm finding it difficult to choose between Jason Licht and Tom Gamble.

And I believe the answer lies somewhere in-between when it comes to people pegging which candidate is definitely the best versus other people claiming that we have no idea whatsoever which or any of these guys are qualified and to what degree.

The most important information is not at our disposal. However there is enough information available to make educated guesses and I think we'd all be a bit surprised to find out that the information we're not privy to isn't nearly as informative or conclusive as some of us imagine.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that among the most important pieces of information we lack is watching them interact with Aponte and Philbin. We also lack their blueprints that they're presenting to Ross, Peterson, etc. I'm sure that knowing those two pieces would result in my having a more definite opinion on which GM I preferred.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    This is the internet, where you make decisions and choose sides based on having zero information.

GMJohnson and Da 'Fins like this.
  17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Think about it. Every time the Dolphins mess up in the draft you could yell, "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" That has to be worth it.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I do admit that the name is one of the small reasons why I would love Lazor as our OC. "I just want a dolphin with some freaking lasers. Is that too much to ask? Throw me a bone here."

77FinFan likes this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is actually my biggest reason for wanting Lazor.

Da 'Fins and rafael like this.
  20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As I mentioned already, I think that there's a bit of a running myth on what exactly the team is going to end up knowing or taking account of in the evaluation process.

Armando's piece noted as much. It very much depends on how many contacts you've got throughout the league. As noted by a league source, these guys get into the interviews with all kinds of stories about guys they pounded on the table for or guys they didn't want, all of the success stories. But then you talk to your contacts that were there and find out it didn't really happen like that.

In an ideal world every guy would essentially have notarized draft and free agent rankings from every year that they can just furnish the team on a thumb drive and the team could just run it through some sort of proprietary evaluation software for grading.

Unfortunately we don't live in that world. We live in the world where you'll get four different answers as to who was responsible for picking Pat White, depending on who you talk to.

djphinfan and Da 'Fins like this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I want to call him Major Lazor.

TooGoodForDez and Stringer Bell like this.
  22. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I almost voted Gamble, but then I realized the only reason was jumping on the excitement bandwagon...which has bitten me in the *** over and over as a Dolphins fan. The truth is, I haven't done enough research on any of them to say anything one way or another.

What I know about Gamble and Licht is certainly promising, and the more I hear about Farmer the more okay with it I am. For now, my stance will be that as long as its not a NYJ retread I'll be happy.

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That is unfair. It depends heavily on team need.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  24. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Which guy is most like Pat Riley. Thats who I want.

25. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Only one I wouldnt be happy with is Khan..because he have Aponte..and hes not a personel guy

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Gamble, Gaine, Licht

27. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Until we hear that Gamble has actually interviewed and is interested in the job I guess we know which way your going here ;p

28. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Gamble currently running away with this.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Gamble is set to interview. He may pull his name from consideration later but I believe the interview is set.

30. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I like the whole group. Licht, Gamble, Farmer all seem to be fairly even as to their potential. I voted Gamble because I'm more familiar with his track record than the others, but this is a pretty good list of candidates...

31. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Please don't jinx us by saying that. :tongue2:

32. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    And just because Gamble will interview doesn't mean he would take the job if offered.

33. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Of course not but him interviewing is better than him not interviewing. Which means there's still a chance for us folks that want Gamble as our new GM.

34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I thought we would call him Number 2?
    He has an interview scheduled?

35. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Guys, look at the big picture. Imagine, draft day, "The Dolphins really took a 'gamble' with that pick".

Or even; "After years of mediocrity, there's finally some 'licht' at the end of the tunnel".

The only thing Jeff reminded me of was how many people died in the potato famine.

I'm higher on Gamble though, simply because he has a resume from multiple teams which are both talented in their own rights, but have different identities. It shows diversity in his talent evaluation skills.

36. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  37. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The positives for Gamble and Licht is that they do have good experience with teams and GMS that were pretty successful.

Interestingly enough, both have worked in Philly.

Licht has a ton of experience with the Patriots under Belichick as well as the Eagles when they were competitive the past decade - and even has some Miami connections with JJ (that's a pretty good bit of training). And, he is still very young at 42 - which I like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Licht

Gamble has a good bit of experience under Polian and the Colts in the middle of their early years with Peyton. And, more recently with the 49ers as well as with the Eagles.

http://media.philadelphiaeagles.com/media/146725/gamble-tom.pdf

Hard to know who would be better among those two. I'd take either and be pretty happy.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jason Licht has worked for four Super Bowl teams. He was with the Cardinals when they went. He was with two separate Patriots Super Bowl teams. He was with the Eagles when they went to the Super Bowl.

Plus he was hired on during the Don Shula Dolphins and stayed for a year with the Jimmy Johnson Dolphins.

Coming from the pro personnel part of the Patriots organization alone is impressive to me because the Patriots self-scouting and ability to see how other players in the league fit into what they do has always been a big key to their success, IMO.

Like I said I'm between he and Gamble. I've liked Gamble for a while but I'm a little wary that he's the obvious favorite in a role that shouldn't necessarily be obvious at all.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  39. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    farmer. just a gut feeling.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wonder if the only reason Ray Farmer has votes is because he's rumored to be the favorite.

Da 'Fins likes this.