1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Free Agents would you sign?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jan 8, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Whilst we wait for the NFL version of "the Decision" from Coach Fisher, thought it would be entertaining to look at some Free Agents who could have an impact for us in 2012.

I like Peyton Hillis for the Dolphins, he put up 11 Td's in 2010, beasted the Patriots, and is still quite low mileage in terms of carries, I think a back field of Hillis/Bush/Thomas would be the best in the NFL and coming off of a down yr in Cleveland would come at a good price.

When I say down yr, I mean a REAL down yr:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_peyton_hillis_hamstring_contract_browns110411

-missed a game on advice of his agent due to strep throat
    -wouldn't practice due to a hammy, but did participate in tossing ball at th goal post
    -moped all yr about his contract situation.

A healthy and focused Peyton Hillis though, would harken to the days of Larry Csonka, or young Ricky Williams, if we wind up trading picks to move up in the draft, landing Hillis would offset those losses.

This would allow Reggie B to have less carries, remove a huge reliance on Daniel Thomas, though Hillis has been known to be nicked this past yr, think of it as adding Brandon Jacobs from 4 yrs ago.

Thoughts?

2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Still say go in on Flynn or Finley depending on who they choose to franchise as either would be a welcome addition. I agree Padre, Hillus would be great for us. Regardless of if Daboll is still around or not he would still be a great change of pace plus a big body to help chip the pass rush would be greatly appreciated no matter who is at QB. Hard to say on the defensive side as we could go 4-3 or may stay 3-4.

3. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Really?Do want to hire wanny back to.Come on man its 2012 not 1980 we need speed and a top 10 passing game to compete in this league not a slow prodding crybaby fullback.Give me a speed wr to pair with marshall and a te that can stretch the field.Did you watch the saints and lions last night?

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yes, really.

So oh football guru you, do tell, where has the Falcons running game ranked the last 4 yrs, every yr Matt Ryan has been there?

Half the problem with the dolphins fans are so many people are convinced about things, that just ain't so, you won't find a young Qb who developed into a franchise Qb who did not have a running game he can lean on while he learned the job, smarten up.

MrClean likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Daboll has nothing to do with it really, more that we need to add offensive production asap, Hillis offers the best cost/production curve on the FA mkt (imo), and he would offer to upgrade our backfield into the best in the division.

Finley would be great, but finley+flynn would be more then we could add, that is a 80 million in contracts and 20 millimn in signing bonus money (imo bonuses of 10 million for a Qb and 10 million for an all pro Te sounds reasonable).

6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Agreed we would never get both but if you added Hilus and Finley the available options we would have would really be impressive and a huge prop for a young QB whomever it might be.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, our draft postion, sucks, again, we maybe could trade back, pick up another #2, and add some offensive and defensive playmakers, drop in Hillis and we'd have the building blocks of a more powerful offense.

I'd have to think a team like Detroit would love to move up, if not, if we pick at #8, I don't see anyone who would offer us instant production without being a reach, we could go OL, again..but if we did so, adding Hillis would add the production we need to offset making that pick.

8. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    First of all michael turner is way better than peyton hillis and can break long runs when healthy.His nickname is turner the burner for a reason. No comparison.
    How did the bigger slower work out for parcells?If you want a running back you get one with speed not a slow footed 1980s type of back.If we get flynn I would love to draft trent richardson because i think he might be the next AP and pick up a speed wr in free agency.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hillis broke long runs in 2010, try again, add in, with Bush in the backfield, Hillis would not have to carry the workload that Turner has had in Atlanta, making him more effective, he pretty much singlehandidly beat the pats in 2010 as well.

He's a difference maker, if we do add a young Qb, would you prefer they rely on Hillis, or Daniel Thomas?

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd be happy to add Hillis. At the very least it would put an end to a goal line problems, or at least help it.
    I still want to take a run at Matt Flynn.
    Dwayne Bowe would look good opposite Marshall, plus I just want to be able to use the Fantasy Football name Somewhere Over the Dwayne Bowe.

On the defensive side of the ball, Antonio Garay could be a good replace ment for Soliai if we let him walk.
    And if we think Cliff Avril can play in 3-4 (assuming that's what we play next season) he would be a good addition opposite Cam Wake.
    Also, I think Tyvon Branch would be an asset at safety. My first choice would be LaRon Landry, but I assume Washington wont let him walk.

Note I got the from this list, http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html so I don't how many, if any have already resigned.

11. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    If I were to rank the offensive priorities I would say:

WR- stretching the field truly makes a difference, and other than Marshall, who is there?
    TE- again helps in both the passing and running game if it is the right guy
    OL-gotta keep whoever is taking snaps clean and healthy, and also get some push on the run
    RB- just drafted a RB, you can say that Thomas is a project, but he is a knee or hammy away from making this a need
    QB-Moore is serviceable, but the other positions need addressed first, there are decent rookie QBs to draft at a lower cost than a guy like Flynn.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Ireland found MMoore on the scrap heap, so maybe he has a good eye for a finding a Qb free from the constraints of Parcell's "10 rules for Qb's'?

There is a good crop of FA Qb's this yr, but with so many Qb's pulling out of the draft, or rather, not declaring, the pool doesn't look like we will have the pick of the litter.

13. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Too early to talk Free Agency. Every year fans get all excited putting these lists together....and then 80% of the players re-sign, get franchised etc. Usually don't have a real good idea of whose making it to FA until a couple weeks prior.

14. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah but this is a message board.
    Besides it either that or we go back to the Fisher talk or the "Ireland sucks! No Ireland is awesome!" threads.

Tin Indian and padre31 like this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hillis WILL be a FA, Brownies have no interest in resigning him.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The priority is that young QB. Sure you want to help him with a running game and defense, but if you don't have that QB then all you're using is that Wanny, 'we'll never contend for a SB' blueprint. I'm surprised I haven't heard Padre say "what can Luck do that Moore can't". :no: Or it could be Tannehill or Flynn or Weedon, so the thread doesn't get sidetracked into a discussion about whether you should believe what teams say.

My primary list includes a QB, S, 2nd pass rusher, RT. My secondary needs are for a 2nd TE and RG. RBs and 2nd WRs are an 'only if I see a great upgrade' category. But this will be a combination of the draft and FA. Once you figure out which direction you're going on the QB, then you can have some idea of how to fill the rest.

texanphinatic likes this.
  17. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've got mine in two different scenarios, the 1st assuming Miami sits tight at 8/9 and targets Courtney Upshaw or Quinton Coples depending on the style of defense.

I think my top 3 targets would be:

1. Ben Grubbs - LG - Baltimore Ravens
    2. Dashon Goldson - FS - San Francisco 49ers
    3. Robert Meachem - WR - New Orleans Saints

The second scenario, would be assuming move either sits tight at 8/9 and drafts Ryan Tannehill, or they try to move up or back for someone like Robert Griffin III (up) or Brandon Weeden (back).

1. Ben Grubbs - G - Baltimore Ravens
    2. Cliff Avril - DE - Lions/Ahmad Brooks - OLB - San Francisco 49ers/Anthony Spencer - OLB - Dallas Cowboys
    3. Dashon Goldson - FS - 49ers or Reggie Nelson - FS - Cincinnati Bengals

In this scenario, I think Miami would have to pay more of a premium price for a guy like Avril, Brooks, or Spencer and you might not want to pay someone like Dashon Goldson as much, so Reggie Nelson would get my next look. He's had a renaissance year in Cincinnati and only signed a 1-year deal, much like Goldson did in San Francisco last year.

Of course, if Miami does land Jeff Fisher, I can see Miami making hard runs at Stephen Tulloch, Jacob Bell, Cortland Finnegan, and Jason Jones (i.e. all former Titans at one point or another who played for Fisher). Maybe you see some cheaper pass-rushing DEs like Frostee Rucker, Jonathan Fanene, Kroy Biermann, and Juqua Parker to bolster Miami's DE depth. As Miami sits right now, I think they have Cameron Wake, Phillip Merling (who has done little to this point in his career) and maybe Jared Odrick as guys you'd actually want playing 4-3 DE. Personally, I think Odrick fits better as a DT, like he was at Penn State, along with guys like Starks, Soliai, Langford, McDaniel, and Baker. Of course Miami would have to re-sign Soliai and/or Langford.

Those are my estimations as things sit today with the Dolphins still coach-less.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is my thinking in re the young Qb scenario, have to have that running game to get them going, as for Moore v Luck, please, SFL/Deadonarrival.exe

Disagree, if Hillis is a horse, you have to make a play for him, he makes plays.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You have to have the young QB to get going though. Otherwise you're doing the Wanny, Fiedler is good enough we just need to add RW strategy.

20. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I agree that if Greenbay for some reason let Jermichael walk they should be all over him. Anthony Spencer and Peyton Hillis sound interesting. We have to see if they are gonna resign Langford and Soliai.

21. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I mean, if you're going to target a free agent RB, give me Marshawn Lynch over Peyton Hillis all day and twice on Sunday. I don't think there's any way the Bears and Ravens let Matt Forte and Ray Rice go anywhere, and after those two, I think Lynch is the best of the bunch. Granted, Miami is probably thinking Daniel Thomas CAN be their Marshawn Lynch already.

djphinfan likes this.
  22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's the thing about running backs. Most are a dime a dozen. A guy like Forte or Rice is special, but you can get +90% of the production of a Hillis or Lynch for 1/10th of the cost in a late round pick or even an UDFA or committee of backs for that matter. And even if you get the huge year from one of those FA guys, odds are that you can only count on that for two or three years max (usually less) so you end up really over paying for that year when they fall off dramatically.

23. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree raf. If I were Jeff Ireland, I'd like to see if Reggie Bush can duplicate his 2011 season as opposed to signing a guy like Lynch or drafting one. I think Steve Slaton showed some things in limited opportunities to the point where I'd bring him back. Depending on the style of offense Miami runs, I think you've got a starter in either Thomas or Bush, and a solid 3rd option in Steve Slaton. I think you can be effective with that trio.

24. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If Thomas could just stay healthy we wouldn't need to worry about RB. Bush/Thomas/Slaton is fine.

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    One thing I might consider is going with the multiple TE thing like GB did. Last I saw they have five TEs on their roster. They can all run and catch and are mismatch nightmares for the defense. I've been pushing that approach for the last couple of years (although I was thinking 3 or maybe 4 TEs max) b/c it allows you to spread the field or have bigger blockers for a run-centric tight formation with the same personnel. That was one of the reasons I wanted Harbaugh. I liked how his Stanford offense could bludgeon you with the run. In the NFL, it's a passing league so those TEs have to be good/great receivers, but the basic concept is the same.

26. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    If we do land Jeff Fisher, and he does like a ground pounding game, the right side of the OL needs to be shored up. Marc Columbo? Puh-lease, he's GOT to go. Need to try and make a run at Marshal Yanda from Baltimore or Tyson Clabo from Atlanta. From center - left, I think our OL is pretty solid, it's just the right side was the OL's achilles heel.

As much as I like Hartline and Bess, they don't command as much respect and cause nightmares for defensive coordinators as Brandon Marshal does. With that being said, Sydney Rice from Minnesota or Braylon Edwards from the *cough* Jets could be a great compliment to Marshall and cause those nightmares for DC's while giving Matt Moore (or whomever our NEXT QB is going to be) options to go deep with positive results.

Next year is going to be yet again ANOTHER rebuilding year offensively regarding the coaching staff. The chances of Brian Dabol being retained inho are slim to none. This means we're going to 3 different offenses in 3 years (Henning, Dabol, presumptive new OC next year). Growing pains will ensue I'm sure. I say we should trade Henne to possibly Chicago. That could be a GOOD fit to the Bears who use a ground pounding game that would set him up for potential success. Keep Matt Moore, sign an old veteran like Mark Brunell and draft one of the number of QB's that will be available in this year's draft....OR....surrender the thought at drafting a QB this draft and depending on Matt Moore's performance, plan for that QB draft next year.

While Im excited with the potential for the Dolphins to begin their trek back to greatness next year, I'm not unrealistic to know that we'll have some growing pains and patience will be needed to allow Fisher's (or other successor) plan to develop. Worst to first is an anamoly and not the norm, Our '08 season and San Francisco's season this year are freaks of nature.

Patience will be our watch word

padre31 likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    To accomplish what you want in the draft, we just trade down,pick up an extra 2nd, select Kendall Wright with your first, Dwayne Allen with your first 2nd, and Tank Carder with your 2nd 2nd...That would be the dream draft, but in reality your gonna have to use that 2nd 2nd to move back up in the first to select Dwayne..Thats a win now philosophy, you'd have to get your young QB with your third..Russell Wilson..

Thats an interesting draft if your sold on Moore..Me personally, Iam gonna go hard for RG3 first, if not turn my attention to Tannehill, Wilson.

28. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Daniel thomas stinks but I already told who I want and its not hillis.I want speed not a guy that runs a 4.67 40.I would take that other jerkoff that tanked the season because of his contract desean jackson over hillis any day.Speed kills.

29. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You know what else kills.
    Sh*tty attitudes.

rafael likes this.
  30. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    It's not that I am sold on MM, I am just not sold on the projected first day guys. RGIII, while having excellent tools, he is NOT an NFL ready guy. I love the idea of having Russell Wilson in Miami. And if we want a WR, Alshon Jeffrey could be on the board still at 9, he has a big body and the SEC speed, but the head and ability to get off the press of smaller CBs(Dennard abused him ALL day save for the Hail Mary and his other catch). One prediction has us taking Reiff, and I really hope that we pass on that....

I like where your head is at with Dwayne Allen, and I really don't know enough about Carder. It all depends on who the DC will be...I personally would let my homerism reign and draft Lavonte David(super fluid 2x AA in a pro level D without the benefits of a really good set of DTs in front of him). And with the second 2nd pick, perhaps pick up OL, one of the Wisconsin OL will do just fine for me. Then keep the fingers crossed for Wilson to still be there around late 4, early 5th round.

31. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Lol,you are mistaken passion for a ****ty attitude I am just tired of the same dolphins and want something new and exciting.These past 12 years are killnig me.

32. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Are you kidding me?
    If you truly believe that, I don't think we can have rational conversation about DeSean Jackson....LOL.

33. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    What do you mean?

34. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Desean Jackson has an AWFUL attitude, it got him benched this year. Perhaps you meant Leshawn(sp) McCoy?

PSG likes this.
  35. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    This is what I mean.

36. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Hillis is attitude was just as bad as jacksons and I really don't want either of them but If I had to make a choice it would be jackson because he would open up the offence with his speed.

37. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Right now I would have to say that Flynn would probably be the Dolphins best option in free agency. Since the Dolphins have really very little chance of of getting Luck or RG3, Flynn certainly appears to be a better option than any of the other QB's in the 2012 draft. He could come in and start immediately and Moore could go back to the backup QB position for which he is best suited.

If the Dolphins do make a play for Hillis, it will only show that they have given up on Thomas as the big power back they drafted him to be. Since I think Thomas was a wasted pick in the second round, I would have no problem with the Dolphins going after Hillis in free agency.

38. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    IMO, nobody has as bad an attitude as Jackson. I want him nowhere near the Miami Dolphins.

39. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Isn't that why Reggie Bush is here?
    :confused2:

40. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    The browns had to an intervention at mid season because of hillis attitude was hurting the team.You want to say jackson has a bad attitude that is fine I won't argue but don't try to sell hillis attitude wasn't just as bad.